BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>
Loading


Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Wed, Feb-22-2017, 06:59:28 PM   #11
HassanEido
Registered User
 
HassanEido's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 2,694
In the garage:
Reputation: 0 HassanEido is on a distinguished road

Lebanon




Default Re: Intake elbows and filter - what's your favorite?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WuBai View Post
I'm currently running an Evolve Eventuri intake and I absolutely LOVE it. Much improved throttle response and more torque that I can feel. However this point got me thinking. I'm using a Macht Schnell silicon elbow and am wondering whether I should swap out for the AFE plastic elbow that doesn't create a ridge. I would love it if somebody 3D printed a ring I could place around my manifold that would smooth out the transition so that I didn't have to buy another elbow but do you think the ridge actually makes enough of a difference to warrant replacing my elbow with another $90 piece?
splitting hairs methinks.
__________________
Mods:
Modified stock airbox,afe plastic intake elbow Afe prodry drop in, electric fan conversion,SSV2 catless headers, custom 2.5" dual sec1, custom sec2 2.5" dual with e9xM X pipe, SuperSprint Race inspired custom section 3,tms pulleys,Cat Cams 280 272, custom dyno tune, csl box pending
357.7 whp 283.5 wtq
Jump to top HassanEido is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Wed, Feb-22-2017, 08:55:42 PM   #12
TboneM3
YNWA
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 6,301
In the garage:
Reputation: 0 TboneM3 is on a distinguished road
Location: Socal

United States




Default Re: Intake elbows and filter - what's your favorite?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HassanEido View Post
Is that subjective butt dyno feedback? my car has an AFE elbow and it and has a flat torque curve
Find toanster's thread where he dynos stock/hi flow filter and stock/smooth elbow vs. Each other, you'll see what I mean.

But yes, I swapped out the stock and aftermarket filters/elbows and did back to back runs and the car always felt torqueir with the stock stuff and never felt better with the aftermarket parts except at the very top end where you spend a fraction of a second.
__________________
/// 2004 SilberGrau M3 Coupe 6MT slicktop manual seats no nav______________________JOURNAL

-Evolve-R Alpha N Evolve CSL CF Airbox Eventuri Scoop Euro Headers Euro cat sect 1 Dinan sect 3 BMW Motorsport 4.10 Besian D/A pullies/fan delete WPC rod bearings
-TMS Camber & Subf plates RE Street Trans Mounts AKG poly SUB/DIFF SDW RTAB ZHP knob + UUC DSSR GroundControl S/A (Koni/Eibach 440/550) + tall RSMs
-OE CSL trunk APEX 75mm Studs Sportline 8S 18"x8.5/9.5" MPSS 245/275 ss brake/clutch lines
-Pioneer DEH-80PRS Eclipse PA5422 CDT HD-6 + WS-100i CDT EX-530 8" Kicker


DD/Beater: 1999 Civic LX - Kenwood x998 PPI 1600.4 CDT HD-6 + HD-100 CDT EX-530 Clarion 10"
Jump to top TboneM3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Feb-22-2017, 09:22:11 PM   #13
HassanEido
Registered User
 
HassanEido's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 2,694
In the garage:
Reputation: 0 HassanEido is on a distinguished road

Lebanon




Default Re: Intake elbows and filter - what's your favorite?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TboneM3 View Post
Find toanster's thread where he dynos stock/hi flow filter and stock/smooth elbow vs. Each other, you'll see what I mean.

But yes, I swapped out the stock and aftermarket filters/elbows and did back to back runs and the car always felt torqueir with the stock stuff and never felt better with the aftermarket parts except at the very top end where you spend a fraction of a second.
That "felt" bit is what I'm talking about . I've dynoed before and after that elbow.. It added maybe 5whp..and lost zero torque.. and I say maybe because 5whp is within the noise. It won't add or subtract anything that you would "feel" imho. Also, a good filter with the same size as the OEM filter, will not flow more unless it filters less.. Filters like K&N will flow marginally better, but will not net any gain, like at all. I know you're not referring to K&N, but it happens to be the sh!ttiest one and filters the least, hence it flows the most(a study done a while back did show what I'm saying here).
Also dyno runs that show a difference are usually within the noise (dyno variation even on the same dyno same day etc). I also had a thread a while back referring to this study, and showing my dyno findings..
All M3 I've seen on the dyno will gain 10whps from the first to the second run, and might continue to gain the 3rd run.. I've read the thread you're referring to, but I've also done my own testing on the dyno. Removing the filter entirely(MAX flow ?) will not yield any power , ZERO I've dynoed my car ~50 times.. Short of adding cams, a stock filter will have more than adequate flow till you're >330 whp. Adding a drop in,a good one, will do zero changes to that imho at least that's what I've seen during dyno testing. So to OP, if it's power you're after, unless you've got or planning on getting cams, leave the stock box alone just my
__________________
Mods:
Modified stock airbox,afe plastic intake elbow Afe prodry drop in, electric fan conversion,SSV2 catless headers, custom 2.5" dual sec1, custom sec2 2.5" dual with e9xM X pipe, SuperSprint Race inspired custom section 3,tms pulleys,Cat Cams 280 272, custom dyno tune, csl box pending
357.7 whp 283.5 wtq
Jump to top HassanEido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Feb-22-2017, 09:53:38 PM   #14
krakenM3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 101
In the garage:
Reputation: 0 krakenM3 is on a distinguished road
Location: Ann Arbor area

United States




Default Re: Intake elbows and filter - what's your favorite?

I was looking at the stuff again over the weekend. Check out this link:http://www.powerchipgroup.com/stealth/e46m3.doc

Its a write up with dynos where the stock intake is compared to the K&N and the AFE and they do a separate look with a tune as well. 'Id love to hear everyone's thoughts on the conclusions. Its a very detailed report.

Here's the conclusion:
Final Analysis:

Both intakes are worth approximately 9-11HP (at the rear wheels; 12-15 at the crank) and 4-6TQ. Both intakes can definitely benefit from software tuning as AFE richens the car too much and K&N leans the car out too much. With proper software, the total net gains from either intake should range from 15-20 HP.
Jump to top krakenM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Feb-22-2017, 10:26:29 PM   #15
Biohazard29
Registered User
 
Biohazard29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 314
In the garage:
Reputation: 0 Biohazard29 is on a distinguished road
Location: Orlando

United States




Default Re: Intake elbows and filter - what's your favorite?

AFE Elbow and drop in filter for me. My M is a track toy so I spend alot of time up top in regards to rev range.
__________________

Walking isn't a lost art - one must, by some means, get to the garage.
Jump to top Biohazard29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Feb-22-2017, 10:33:58 PM   #16
suaveflooder
Registered User
 
suaveflooder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 3,131
Reputation: 0 suaveflooder is on a distinguished road
Location: San Diego

United States




Default Re: Intake elbows and filter - what's your favorite?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biohazard29 View Post
AFE Elbow and drop in filter for me. My M is a track toy so I spend alot of time up top in regards to rev range.
I bought mine with a dinan, but if I hadn't, this would be the rout I would go.
__________________
2004 IR Slicktop
Jump to top suaveflooder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Feb-22-2017, 10:40:47 PM   #17
M3 dude
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 315
Reputation: 0 M3 dude is on a distinguished road

Australia




Default Re: Intake elbows and filter - what's your favorite?

Quote:
Originally Posted by krakenM3 View Post
I was looking at the stuff again over the weekend. Check out this link:http://www.powerchipgroup.com/stealth/e46m3.doc

Its a write up with dynos where the stock intake is compared to the K&N and the AFE and they do a separate look with a tune as well. 'Id love to hear everyone's thoughts on the conclusions. Its a very detailed report.

Here's the conclusion:
Final Analysis:

Both intakes are worth approximately 9-11HP (at the rear wheels; 12-15 at the crank) and 4-6TQ. Both intakes can definitely benefit from software tuning as AFE richens the car too much and K&N leans the car out too much. With proper software, the total net gains from either intake should range from 15-20 HP.
i'm running a KN pod filter system, the one that has the full length tract inc. the bend. i've done some slight mods to the heatshield (i'll add a lid later on) and grafted a MAF shield from a std airbox into the tract.

in all, it sounds awesome at WOT, feels like it has abit more oomph, and i dont have any issues with running rough or anything. and a 0.2 L/100km fuel efficiency improvement.

i had a drop in bmc filter and a ecs elbow, did fa in terms of anything, really.
Jump to top M3 dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Feb-23-2017, 12:54:20 AM   #18
mleveroni
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 268
In the garage:
Reputation: 0 mleveroni is on a distinguished road

United States




Default Re: Intake elbows and filter - what's your favorite?

For the most part I am a believer that an OEM intake is better than any low range aftermarket option. I have a hard time seeing how companies like K&N can develop something better than the car manufacturer. It seems like on any car they just replace the factory intake with a pod filter and call it a day. Just my opinion.

I like the idea of an elbow since it improves on the factory intake, without completely replacing it. However I do not understand where the performance gains come from. Does it flow better from being larger or better angle? I've also heard of some cars sucking in so much air that it collapses parts of the intake but they are making huge power.

I tried a K&N drop in filter and the only thing I noticed was a poor idle. There is also the fact that it was like $50 compared to a $10 OEM filter.
__________________


2002 M3 Carbon Black 6MT
ARP Headstuds|ARP Rod Bolts|Beisan Vanos|Topspeed Exhaust|AR20's|Ebay Headers|Turner Subframe Plates|ZCP Rims|Custom Rear Strut Bar|AKG Bushings|ST XTA Coilovers|Clutchmasters FX300 Clutch/Aluminum Flywheel|RK Tune
Jump to top mleveroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Feb-23-2017, 01:28:55 AM   #19
krakenM3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 101
In the garage:
Reputation: 0 krakenM3 is on a distinguished road
Location: Ann Arbor area

United States




Default Re: Intake elbows and filter - what's your favorite?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mleveroni View Post
For the most part I am a believer that an OEM intake is better than any low range aftermarket option. I have a hard time seeing how companies like K&N can develop something better than the car manufacturer. It seems like on any car they just replace the factory intake with a pod filter and call it a day. Just my opinion.

I like the idea of an elbow since it improves on the factory intake, without completely replacing it. However I do not understand where the performance gains come from. Does it flow better from being larger or better angle? I've also heard of some cars sucking in so much air that it collapses parts of the intake but they are making huge power.

I tried a K&N drop in filter and the only thing I noticed was a poor idle. There is also the fact that it was like $50 compared to a $10 OEM filter.
The dynos posted shows clear gains with both of those intake options. Isn't this the evidence we've been asking for?
Jump to top krakenM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Feb-23-2017, 01:49:15 AM   #20
mleveroni
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 268
In the garage:
Reputation: 0 mleveroni is on a distinguished road

United States




Default Re: Intake elbows and filter - what's your favorite?

Quote:
Originally Posted by krakenM3 View Post
The dynos posted shows clear gains with both of those intake options. Isn't this the evidence we've been asking for?
My personal hang up is more of how some intakes are the same basic design for all car models, works on some cars better than others.

I am not questioning the gains, I am just wondering where they come from with the elbow. I am just thinking any aftermarket elbow can only differ from stock so much. It is also interesting how much they can gain considering it is only one small piece of the intake. Just want to know what characteristics of the elbow increase performance.
__________________


2002 M3 Carbon Black 6MT
ARP Headstuds|ARP Rod Bolts|Beisan Vanos|Topspeed Exhaust|AR20's|Ebay Headers|Turner Subframe Plates|ZCP Rims|Custom Rear Strut Bar|AKG Bushings|ST XTA Coilovers|Clutchmasters FX300 Clutch/Aluminum Flywheel|RK Tune
Jump to top mleveroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT. The time now is 02:14:20 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
M3Forum.com and M3forum.net is in no way sponsored, endorsed or affiliated by or with BMW NA / BMW AG or any of it's subsidiaries or vendors.
BMW and M3 (E90 M3 | E92 M3 | E93 M3 | E46 M3 | E36 M3 | E30 M3) are registered trademarks of BMW AG.
M3Forum Terms of Service
Copyright 1999-2017 M3Forum.com
Discussing Intake elbows and filter - what's your favorite? in the E46 M3 (2001-2006) Forum - Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006. at BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X)