BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Mon, Feb-05-2018, 08:55:52 PM   #571
cjcuprill

United States

Default Re: Comprehensive SMG to 6MT Conversion Thread

I have a 2003 M3 SMG, which I love but I am looking to convert it from the SMG to Manual. Though I am a YouTube mechanic a DYI is way above my head for a car I rely on for a daily transport. So with that said I live in the DMV (VA) area and am looking for a shop or some BMW gearheads that can help me convert my baby. My plan is to buy the parts then, with your help, find a shop or person/s who can do the conversion for the cost of labor or several cases of beer your choice

If anyone knows of a shop or person that will to the conversion for the cost of labor if I supply the parts please PM or email me!

Thanks in advance
Jump to top cjcuprill is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Wed, Feb-07-2018, 10:25:54 PM   #572
TheGenius46M

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitesh33 View Post
[B]

For cruise control to work, without the GPS installed.

I used Hex Edit for Windows, it's free and really simple to use. You cannot do this part in Martyn's tool at the moment.

Note some USA cars have the clutch bounce issue, I've never had issue with my clutch (maybe USA ones are setup differently)

This part deletes the Gear Postion Sensor from the DME

Current value will be: 01,
You need to change it to 02 in 4028

Type 4028 the hex address in the box highlighted at the top and hit return, the cursor will then be taken to that byte, you need to change to 02

This bit stops the a error

Change to FFFF in 0x35AC

Type in 0x35AC in the Hex Edit software like I did then change to FFFF see the difference between the two images for the change.

You should be changing the next word (0032 -> FFFF)

Also it's worth noting that the address will vary from software version to software version. So just search for "003232FF00F7" and change that first "0032" to "FFFF"
Anyone have the address for part 1 for mss54hp cars? 4028 results in a field that is FFFF on manual HP DME tunes from the few I compared which tells me this space is only relevant to pre-04 cars. I was able to adjust part 2, but need part 1 for cruise to work on the car I worked on last night.

Have yet to find any info on here regarding the offset location for part 1 to remove the GPS from the DME, so I'm assuming people with 04+ cars are skipping this step when they realize the offset is incorrect for all models.

If anyone knows the correct offset, program version in question is 2001, I'd greatly appreciate it for future reference for all.

]

My Build Thread | My Build Journal | Instagram:@thegenius46m
Jump to top TheGenius46M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Feb-08-2018, 04:57:15 AM   #573
terraphantm

In the garage:

United States

802a I think
Old Mon, Feb-12-2018, 05:17:22 PM   #574
PHARMDVIPER

In the garage:

United States

I am not worried about the swap itself...I am worried about the whole coding thing

I did a manual swap on a e36 and all we had to do was code it for a manual in pretty much one step....this swap will be done on a ZCP so I don't need to mess with cruise control

So all I need to do is hit up a shop who is familiar with coding and they simply load the software?
Jump to top PHARMDVIPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Feb-12-2018, 11:02:16 PM   #575
jkiech

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjcuprill View Post
I have a 2003 M3 SMG, which I love but I am looking to convert it from the SMG to Manual. Though I am a YouTube mechanic a DYI is way above my head for a car I rely on for a daily transport. So with that said I live in the DMV (VA) area and am looking for a shop or some BMW gearheads that can help me convert my baby. My plan is to buy the parts then, with your help, find a shop or person/s who can do the conversion for the cost of labor or several cases of beer your choice

If anyone knows of a shop or person that will to the conversion for the cost of labor if I supply the parts please PM or email me!

Thanks in advance
I'm in the same boat as you, just shot you a PM. Let me know what you hear from others, thanks!
05 ZCP Interlagos - Dinan F&R Strut Tower Bars - Dinan Front Anti Sway Roll Bar - Dinan Springs/Koni Combo - Underdrive Pulleys - Dinan 3.91 Diff - Dinan Intake - Dinan Rear Axle Back - BHS Headers - Status Gruppe Resonated Sec 2 - SS Sec 1 -Brembo's - Schrick 272/280's - BHS High Flow Throttle Bodies - TTFS Tuned
Jump to top jkiech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Feb-13-2018, 02:45:03 PM   #576
Eryckson

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkiech View Post
I'm in the same boat as you, just shot you a PM. Let me know what you hear from others, thanks!
I did it myself on jackstands. I am not a mechanic but if you have the patience you can do it yourself. I even pulled the engine out bc figured time to replace all the seals and gaskets, including the CPV.

As far as coding, find a shop near you that has an autologic. Mine took less than an hour and cost me $65.00.

Send me a PM if you have questions.
Jump to top Eryckson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Feb-15-2018, 03:15:04 AM   #577
Genes1s

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP675 View Post

how did you guys make sure that the shavings didn't fell inside the housing? that would be game over if the shavings fell inside, wouldn't it?

Thanks
Jump to top Genes1s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Feb-16-2018, 02:37:02 PM   #578
Al Soobie Guy

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genes1s View Post
how did you guys make sure that the shavings didn't fell inside the housing? that would be game over if the shavings fell inside, wouldn't it?

Thanks
Cutip and vacuum and grease for lubrication
Jump to top Al Soobie Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Feb-19-2018, 10:56:46 PM   #579
lrz14

United States

Hey guys so I glad to say that I completed the swap successfully, even used an oem 6 speed transmission. Never got around to doing any of the coding. Than fast forward 6 months later I'm driving hit a pot hole eml light turns on than off than car shuts down. Still has power but won't start. Cranks good but nothing as far as hearing the pump turn on. I even tried another fuel pump still won't start. I tried pulling the codes tells me dme is unable to communicate. Question if I hadn't done the coding to manual and such and I still have the smg harnesses unplugged will that cause it to not read on any code reader? Weird thing is I replaced 20 amp fuse in e-box. Than tried to start gave a little gas and it started, but when I tried to take off it died. I'm all out of ideas anyone have a clue or guess I would appreciate it!
Jump to top lrz14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Feb-21-2018, 07:59:07 AM   #580
mitesh33

United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genes1s View Post

Thanks
Honestly donít waste your time with Gear Position Sensor, itís not needed, everything on mine works as it should without one, cruise control, which deactivates when you press the brake, press the clutch. No difference.

Exterior: Individual Estroil Blue / Genuine CSL 19s

Interior: Individual Two Tone Gray/Black Leather

Engine: OEM

Suspension: OEM

Exhaust: OEM
Jump to top mitesh33 is offline   Reply With Quote