BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Mon, Feb-05-2018, 12:20:14 PM   #161
AussieE46M3

In the garage:

Australia

Default Re: CMP Auto Engineering subframe kit

Hey guys,

I'm sorry for my severe lack of presence here. I've been trying to assemble things for my project while also juggling a few other things and had a cosmetic surgery in the middle of it all.

Quote:
I should have been more clear about the direction of loading. I think that might be where this is getting mixed up.
Hal,

It looks like you're right. We have been looking at things with an opposing perspective.

I understand your reasoning now. If the forces were pushing upward the shear bolt would provide some support in the way you have described however, from analysis the rear two mounts are being pulled in a downward direction by the driveline forces.

Quote:
Thanks, I appreciate you having the patience to deal with my nittery. I also want to clarify that the time spent discussing it doesn't mean I think it's a huge problem, and I didn't intend to point to it as a major shortcoming. It is a solid design overall.
Not a problem. I don't mind these conversations at all and appreciate you taking the time to give input and appreciate your support.

Quote:
I am more than likely all in once the 6 point race bar comes into play
great to hear folgrz! Hopefully not far off now.

Onto progress;

I've had the first batch of prototype subframe bushes made and from preliminary checks using a spare subframe and the RACP in my possession fitment seems spot on and the subframe clears the chassis by about 1mm bringing the subframe a total of 8mm closer to the chassis than stock bushes.

The goal with that being to correct the change in roll centre from adding reinforcing plates and lowering the car. Once I've had them installed into my own car and thoroughly tested I'll be offering these alongside my RACP reinforcement kits for anyone interested. The ones pictured are prototypes and do no incorporate any weight reducing features.

Also,

The parts for the first batch of front mount extensions have arrived. Fitment looks great and clears the back seats by about 4-5mm leaving space for a modified floor board to tuck between once it's all done.

unfortunetely despite receiving it on Friday afternoon, I did not install this kit over the weekend as I had hoped as I purchased a welder specifically for this project and it didn't arrive in time.

I'll likely have pictures of the install to post this time next week.

Once all that's in I'll be tripple checking my measurements and begin fabricating the 6-point brace.

Again, I apologise for my lack of activity. I'll share more with you guys as it comes.
Jump to top AussieE46M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Tue, Feb-06-2018, 08:54:38 AM   #162
baders

Australia

My CMP top brace kit and bottom plate kit are going in this week. Finally found a good reasonable welder in Perth. Thanks Cayn !
Jump to top baders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Feb-06-2018, 03:45:03 PM   #163
EricSMG
40 something

United States

I would like the basic rear bar kit + a simple bolt-in rear tower/X brace.

Possible?

'04 SG/Black 6MT || '04 JB/IR SMG
Jump to top EricSMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Feb-08-2018, 04:17:17 AM   #164
AussieE46M3

In the garage:

Australia

Quote:
My CMP top brace kit and bottom plate kit are going in this week. Finally found a good reasonable welder in Perth. Thanks Cayn !
Glad you found someone for it. Feel free to contact me should you or the fabricator have any questions about any part of the project.

Also, one thing that has recently been added to the underside plate install manual is another area worth checking beneath the rear seats where the floor meets the chassis rails just outward of the restraint clips and around the fastening points as the sheet metal can crack there as well, often above them. The last 2 cars I've seen have had it above the left most fastening point.

You'll need to take some of the seam sealer off to see it properly.

Quote:
I would like the basic rear bar kit + a simple bolt-in rear tower/X brace.

Possible?
Hi Eric,

It's certainly possible. Is that something you want now or in the future?

Would that just be a brace between the rear shock towers and the topside beam kit without the front mount extensions and associated brace lengths? I was planning on releasing a version of the brace kit in this form for sedans without split folding seats.

Once the front mount extensions are installed into my own car this weekend I'll be wrapping up the brace soon after and should have it available toward the end of next month if that's all right?

There will be a group buy on a that point in time as well so you should be able to get a good deal as well.
Old Thu, Feb-08-2018, 05:07:21 AM   #165
aznbo187
XIII

In the garage:

United States

Is the rear strut bar brace removable? I've had the Mason bar which I really liked, but it really limits the trunk access and makes the fold down rear seats almost useless.
Old Thu, Feb-08-2018, 06:22:13 AM   #166
AussieE46M3

In the garage:

Australia

Quote:
Is the rear strut bar brace removable? I've had the Mason bar which I really liked, but it really limits the trunk access and makes the fold down rear seats almost useless.
hey Aznbo,

Yes, the brace is entirely bolt in.

The upside to this design is that the topside beam and front mount extensions remain, still reinforcing the RACP even when the brace is removed when the full boot space is required.
Old Thu, Feb-08-2018, 07:08:45 AM   #167
e30will

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieE46M3 View Post
Hey guys,
Onto progress;

I've had the first batch of prototype subframe bushes made and from preliminary checks using a spare subframe and the RACP in my possession fitment seems spot on and the subframe clears the chassis by about 1mm bringing the subframe a total of 8mm closer to the chassis than stock bushes.

The goal with that being to correct the change in roll centre from adding reinforcing plates and lowering the car. Once I've had them installed into my own car and thoroughly tested I'll be offering these alongside my RACP reinforcement kits for anyone interested. The ones pictured are prototypes and do no incorporate any weight reducing features.

Any chance of having these shorter subframe bushings in rubber/poly that's similar to stock stiffness/rigidity? I'd love to have the CMP brace, fix the change in roll center, while keeping it as close to stock NVH as possible.
Jump to top e30will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Feb-09-2018, 10:16:22 PM   #168
aznbo187
XIII

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by e30will View Post
Any chance of having these shorter subframe bushings in rubber/poly that's similar to stock stiffness/rigidity? I'd love to have the CMP brace, fix the change in roll center, while keeping it as close to stock NVH as possible.
Also interested in this.
Old Wed, Feb-14-2018, 01:21:08 AM   #169
AussieE46M3

In the garage:

Australia

Quote:
Quote:
Also interested in this.
Hi Guys,

I'm afraid not. I don't think it would be possible to develop a polly bush to function in this way either.

Poly bushes transfer stress from the perimeter of the subframe hoop, through the flange, and into the sheet metal underside while stock and aluminium bushes transfer stress predominantly through the stud.

As such a poly bush would required a reduced flange thickness to achieve the reduced roll centre. I suspect if the flange on a poly bush was made thinner the splitting that occurs would become much more frequent.

On the other hand a rubber bush of similar construction to the stock rubber could be made to functions similairly however, I do not have access to the facilities required to manufacture a non solid bushing.

Last edited by AussieE46M3; Wed, Feb-14-2018 at 01:28:46 AM.