BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Tue, Dec-26-2017, 09:37:21 PM   #11
terraphantm

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: Auto-Dim Side Mirror retrofit from E9X

Cool someone finally did it. I personally didn't like it at all when I was driving my dad's E60 with the mirrors way back when, but I'd probably feel different if his (and my car) didn't have tints.
Old Tue, Dec-26-2017, 11:00:30 PM   #12
nextelbuddy1

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by terraphantm View Post
Cool someone finally did it. I personally didn't like it at all when I was driving my dad's E60 with the mirrors way back when, but I'd probably feel different if his (and my car) didn't have tints.

It's actually not as bad as it would be if I probably had an E90 mirror. The E90 Mirror Has a sensor at the top of the glass where as the M3 oval mirror has the sensor at the bottom of the glass so all three mirrors rarely dim unless there's a car right up on me. E90 mirrors would dim fairly quickly and often.
Jump to top nextelbuddy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Dec-28-2017, 01:13:36 PM   #13
STAATS

In the garage:

Australia

FYI - MirrorJohn.com sells side mirrors with AutoDim for the E46. Currently they need custom wiring but I believe long term he wants to realese as a kit...

BMW E46 M3 Vehicle Log Book & Service Tracker Tool: http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=564731

BMW E46 M3 Vehicle Data Record & Modification Journal Template: http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=566440

2003 BMW E46 M3 Street / Road Rally Build: http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=566468
Jump to top STAATS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Feb-13-2018, 02:43:32 PM   #14
nextelbuddy1

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by STAATS View Post
FYI - MirrorJohn.com sells side mirrors with AutoDim for the E46. Currently they need custom wiring but I believe long term he wants to realese as a kit...
he is just selling the pre LCI e90 OEM glass. his prices are good though for the pair. usually on ebay its $100-150 for one side alone.

Pre LCI mirror glass is teh same shape as e46 M4 mirror glass which is what im using for my setup.

i am a little different than you M3 guys. since im in a ZHP my mirror system is this stupid BUS K bus system where both mirrors are ribbon cable and my driver mirror is the Mirror module compared to M3 cars that have dedicated mirror modules.

im always having issues with mirror motors dying and recently after doing this retrofit i think i know why mine are dying.

my Mirror modules are becoming too over loaded with current/draw. each one of my mirror motors has to now handle, mirror function, heat, power fold motor and now auto dim thrown into the mix

if i plug in my mirrors they work fine, auto dim works fine, heat works fine. if i engage power fold it folds up and down twice and then the passenger side dies with no response. i have to unplug the mirror and glass and electrochromatic connection to "reset" it.

if i unplug either heat OR EC connections, the power fold works fine and mirror doesnt die. this leads me to conclude that the ribbon cable mirror module is just being overloaded with too much electric draw and wasnt designed to have the newer heated mirrors that get so hot with power fold and auto dim.

i will end up getting rid of the heat portion or auto dim portion.

im trying to figure out a way to revert to the older mirror module system like m3's.

anyways i wont bore you all with non M problems.
Old Tue, Feb-13-2018, 02:55:58 PM   #15
Obioban

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by nextelbuddy1 View Post
he is just selling the pre LCI e90 OEM glass. his prices are good though for the pair. usually on ebay its $100-150 for one side alone.

Pre LCI mirror glass is teh same shape as e46 M4 mirror glass which is what im using for my setup.

i am a little different than you M3 guys. since im in a ZHP my mirror system is this stupid BUS K bus system where both mirrors are ribbon cable and my driver mirror is the Mirror module compared to M3 cars that have dedicated mirror modules.

im always having issues with mirror motors dying and recently after doing this retrofit i think i know why mine are dying.

my Mirror modules are becoming too over loaded with current/draw. each one of my mirror motors has to now handle, mirror function, heat, power fold motor and now auto dim thrown into the mix

if i plug in my mirrors they work fine, auto dim works fine, heat works fine. if i engage power fold it folds up and down twice and then the passenger side dies with no response. i have to unplug the mirror and glass and electrochromatic connection to "reset" it.

if i unplug either heat OR EC connections, the power fold works fine and mirror doesnt die. this leads me to conclude that the ribbon cable mirror module is just being overloaded with too much electric draw and wasnt designed to have the newer heated mirrors that get so hot with power fold and auto dim.

i will end up getting rid of the heat portion or auto dim portion.

im trying to figure out a way to revert to the older mirror module system like m3's.

anyways i wont bore you all with non M problems.
Let me know what you figure out.

I pulled a coupe mirror module from a junk yard, that I was planning to use with my M3 mirrors on my M3 wagon... but haven't actually done the install yet, so don't know what complications I'll run into.

I was hoping it would just be plug the module into the chassis harness, plug the M3 mirrors into the module, and maybe a bit of coding so that it would know kind of module it was dealing with.

I have no intention of doing the dimming part.

Current Cars: 2005 IR/IR M3, 2001 LMB/blk M5, 03 530i, 04 M3 wagon, and some boring stuff
Past cars: 04 M3, 96 M3, S50B32 e36 M3 CM race car
Jump to top Obioban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Feb-13-2018, 03:32:51 PM   #16
nextelbuddy1

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obioban View Post
Let me know what you figure out.

I pulled a coupe mirror module from a junk yard, that I was planning to use with my M3 mirrors on my M3 wagon... but haven't actually done the install yet, so don't know what complications I'll run into.

I was hoping it would just be plug the module into the chassis harness, plug the M3 mirrors into the module, and maybe a bit of coding so that it would know kind of module it was dealing with.

I have no intention of doing the dimming part.
is your wagon face lifted with ribbon cable mirrors? only asking because not all face lifted non Ms came with the newer ribbon style. ive been to so many salvage yards ive even seen cars that had OLD MODULE style on driver side and new ribbon style on passenger side. its got so confusing on how BMW wires this all together.

i believe that even if you wired in the older modules properly, that you also have to either reflash your GM5 module with an older version OR make some changes in it with NCS Expert. i havent looked at a GM5 that closely to see the changes. the newer BUS system ribbon mirror motors use the GM5 as the main interpreter I think but the older system was more independent.

when i retrofit power fold for M3 guys, i just program the actual mirror module itself for the power fold option where as in the newer mirror system, i make the changes in the GM5 specifically.
Old Tue, Feb-13-2018, 03:53:11 PM   #17
Obioban

In the garage:

United States

Mine was ribbon cables on both sides, unfortunately.

Current Cars: 2005 IR/IR M3, 2001 LMB/blk M5, 03 530i, 04 M3 wagon, and some boring stuff
Past cars: 04 M3, 96 M3, S50B32 e36 M3 CM race car
Jump to top Obioban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Feb-13-2018, 04:09:42 PM   #18
terraphantm

In the garage:

United States

One thing that might be worth researching is how the Z4 does things. Physically its mirror motors look pretty much the same as ours, but it does not seem to have the BTM/FTM modules like M3 (but does share the GM5 module), so electrically it may be more similar to the 03.5+ non-Ms
Old Tue, Feb-13-2018, 06:15:00 PM   #19
nextelbuddy1

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by terraphantm View Post
One thing that might be worth researching is how the Z4 does things. Physically its mirror motors look pretty much the same as ours, but it does not seem to have the BTM/FTM modules like M3 (but does share the GM5 module), so electrically it may be more similar to the 03.5+ non-Ms
just finished reading up on the Z4 mirrors and the concensus for those is that they are more like E90 mirror system on the CAS and LIN BUS. their connectors look just like the E90 connections and their power fold connections and motors look just like the e90 ones as well.

i even have a spare e83 X3 ribbon cable mirror and i tried plugging it into my car on the passenger side and it doesnt work .my guess is its just different circuity which is unfortunate because it seems that the e46 face lift NON M cars were the only one to have the mirror motor of that nature which is so limited. they are fragile in circuitry and build and expensive.

this is why i wanted to just get an e46 m3 mirror system and modules and retrofit that into my car.

i guess ill have to look up in the WDS the pinouts for all m3 mirror modules, mirror switch plug and the GM5 to see where everything runs into.
Old Mon, Jul-16-2018, 08:53:57 AM   #20
0-60Motorsports
Established 1998....

In the garage:

Bahrain

Excellent info here. I really need to do this, hate the glare.... Does any one know part numbers for the Pre lci Side mirror glass? There are a few different ones.... I prefer the wide angle but there seems to be again two different part numbers on realoem.

Edit: Wide Angle heated and auto-dim 51167144303 & 51167144304
EURO 04 M3 Mods: GC DA's / Eibach Sways / PF RTABs / RE RCAs / INTRAVEE II / ///MFEST Badges / M5 SMG Knob / VCSL: Bumper + Race Lip, CF Trunk, CF Diffusor / DIETZ TV in Motion / SuperSprint: Stepped Headers, Cat Deletes, Res X-pipe, Sport Muffler / Z8 Starter Button / Lamin-X / STM Paddles / OEM CSL: Steering, Interior, Intake, CF Roof / Terra MSS54HP CSL Clone + TTFS Tune / BBS CH's, LIGHTWERKZ / ST40's / DINAN RSB / RE Race Brace / BW Oil Cooler / 3.91 gears / Radium OCC

Last edited by 0-60Motorsports; Mon, Jul-16-2018 at 09:05:51 AM.
Jump to top 0-60Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote