BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Sun, Feb-11-2018, 03:22:53 PM   #1
Ceshomru

In the garage:

United States

Default Vanos Solenoid, rough idle and Code P0010

Hello All, I am looking for some advice on next steps for my current repair.

Back story (Ill try to keep it short):

About a month ago I got the SES light with codes P0010 and P0011 only. I didn't really notice any symptoms at first. I cleared the codes and they came back after about 100-200 miles. Near the end of the month, I started to get a little bit of a chug in 5th or 6th gear at 3000 rpm. It went away at 4k rpm. There was never any issue at idle.

I did my research and decided to replace the Solenoid. I went with Beisan and received the solenoid last week. I replaced it yesterday along with a new seal plate from ECS.

I took the car for a test drive and at about 15 miles in I got an SES light and rough idle that made the car lope a little. This was an entirely new symptom. I checked the codes and I had P0010 and P0012 along with all 6 cylinder misfiring codes. The car pulled fine and felt great at higher RPM. So somewhat of a reverse of the previous issue.

I'm thinking I either got a DOA solenoid, or I need to now replace both CPS, or something else I haven't thought of yet. One thing I read about was a Vanos Reset. I am not sure how to do that or if it would help but if someone can point me in the right direction that would be great.
Jump to top Ceshomru is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Sun, Feb-11-2018, 03:34:54 PM   #2
Drewster

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: Vanos Solenoid, rough idle and Code P0010

Have you actually re-built the Vanos system and cleaned out the solenoid?

Last edited by Drewster; Tue, Feb-13-2018 at 01:09:20 PM.
Jump to top Drewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Feb-11-2018, 03:34:56 PM   #3
ThunderMoose

In the garage:

United States

Did you clean the solenoid valve body when you replaced solenoid?

#67 2017 NASA TX TT3 Champion

FLMS Half Cage, RaceTech 4009HR drivers seat, Schroth 6-Pt Harness, E.S.S. Fire System, AIM SOLO DL with ECU Harness, SmartyCam, Angle Aluminum with VAC dead pedal, Sparco Steering Wheel on MOMO hub, MCS Suspension, Hyperco 800F 900R springs, Hotchkis Front and Rear Sway bars, Vorshlag Camber Plates, Turner ARCA, AJ Hartman Front Splitter, BW V2 Wing, BW CF Rear Diffuser, APEX ARC-8 wheels, Brembo BBK Front, Carbon Fiber Roof, CF Headlight Blanks, Door Windows and Cards Delete, TMS rear and front subframe reinforcement, Zionsville Competition Cooler, BW Oil Cooler, Oil Diverter Valve, Motorsports Thermostat, Evolve CF Intake, Epic Stepped Headers, Turner Pulleys, BW 3.5" Race Exhaust, EPIC Alpha N Tune, Beisan Oil Disk and Vanos Seals, ZF 5MT, CAE Ultra Shifter

My track journal: http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=509148
Jump to top ThunderMoose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Feb-11-2018, 03:44:52 PM   #4
Ceshomru

In the garage:

United States

I cleaned out the valve body as instructed with the Beisan site, but did not rebuild the Vanos system as a whole. I was planning on taking off my valve cover to check the tabs once I get the gasket I ordered. I checked the tabs when I did my valve adjustment last October and they were good but that doesn't mean anything now. Should I be looking at rebuilding the Vanos? Does that mean more than just the bolts and disk?
Old Sun, Feb-11-2018, 04:22:57 PM   #5
ThunderMoose

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceshomru View Post
I cleaned out the valve body as instructed with the Beisan site, but did not rebuild the Vanos system as a whole. I was planning on taking off my valve cover to check the tabs once I get the gasket I ordered. I checked the tabs when I did my valve adjustment last October and they were good but that doesn't mean anything now. Should I be looking at rebuilding the Vanos? Does that mean more than just the bolts and disk?
I'd go ahead and replace seals and upgrade pump disk. That may not solve your issue but it is a start. I know before I overhauled vanos, I had issues in cold weather with misfires.

#67 2017 NASA TX TT3 Champion

FLMS Half Cage, RaceTech 4009HR drivers seat, Schroth 6-Pt Harness, E.S.S. Fire System, AIM SOLO DL with ECU Harness, SmartyCam, Angle Aluminum with VAC dead pedal, Sparco Steering Wheel on MOMO hub, MCS Suspension, Hyperco 800F 900R springs, Hotchkis Front and Rear Sway bars, Vorshlag Camber Plates, Turner ARCA, AJ Hartman Front Splitter, BW V2 Wing, BW CF Rear Diffuser, APEX ARC-8 wheels, Brembo BBK Front, Carbon Fiber Roof, CF Headlight Blanks, Door Windows and Cards Delete, TMS rear and front subframe reinforcement, Zionsville Competition Cooler, BW Oil Cooler, Oil Diverter Valve, Motorsports Thermostat, Evolve CF Intake, Epic Stepped Headers, Turner Pulleys, BW 3.5" Race Exhaust, EPIC Alpha N Tune, Beisan Oil Disk and Vanos Seals, ZF 5MT, CAE Ultra Shifter

My track journal: http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=509148
Jump to top ThunderMoose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Feb-12-2018, 06:23:05 AM   #6
Rajaie

United States

P0010 is a vanos intake electrical code. It's caused by one of the following.
1. Failed vanos solenoid coil pack.
2. Problem at the cable electrical connector.
3. Problem with the wiring harness.
4. Problem with the DME.

The Beisan rebuilt solenoid coil pack is tested after rebuilding so it's not likely the issue, but it could be.
We had a problem for a long period where in some cases the rebuilt solenoid would have an electrical problem of P0010 or P0013. In the end the issue was oxidation on the solenoid connector pins. We couldn't see this oxidation, but we started scarping the pins as part of the rebuild process and that has completely resolved the issue.

The problem could be a broken clip at the cable connector that's allowing the connector to come loose.

I have had a few cases where the problem was a bad connection form the cable connector pin receptacles. The solution is to scrape and spray clean these pin receptacles. Unfortunately I don't know of a small enough file to use for this application.
See if you can find something to do this with.

If these suggestion don't solve the problem, contact me on the info on the Beisan website contact page.

Last edited by Rajaie; Mon, Feb-12-2018 at 06:27:49 AM.
Jump to top Rajaie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Feb-12-2018, 04:02:10 PM   #7
Ceshomru

In the garage:

United States

Hello Raj, thank you for replying. I was going to contact you to ask about QC on the packs. I figured you test them but wanted to rule it out. As for the connector clip, my clip actually broke when I removed it, plastic was very brittle. I replaced the clip with the OEM socket housing BMW 61138383300 and checked all the pins when I did this. They were good. That doesn't mean that the wire itself is not dry rotted down the line or something. I used NAPA part 725168 extractor pick to insert into the pins. This was a very thin tool that worked well. https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/NW_725168

It was very cold yesterday and I didn't do any further work on my car. I will be checking the pins again today and driving for a longer time to see if I just need to let the oil pressurize or the VANOS to reset or something like that. I will be looking into replacing both of my CPS when I get paid later this week. If you have any other suggestions I really appreciate the help.
Old Tue, Feb-13-2018, 02:15:09 AM   #8
CVC9216

United States

I had a similar problem, it was broken wire insulation 6-8” down in the loom. Few wires shorted
Jump to top CVC9216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Feb-13-2018, 04:26:00 AM   #9
Rajaie

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceshomru View Post
Hello Raj, thank you for replying. I was going to contact you to ask about QC on the packs. I figured you test them but wanted to rule it out. As for the connector clip, my clip actually broke when I removed it, plastic was very brittle. I replaced the clip with the OEM socket housing BMW 61138383300 and checked all the pins when I did this. They were good. That doesn't mean that the wire itself is not dry rotted down the line or something. I used NAPA part 725168 extractor pick to insert into the pins. This was a very thin tool that worked well. https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/NW_725168

It was very cold yesterday and I didn't do any further work on my car. I will be checking the pins again today and driving for a longer time to see if I just need to let the oil pressurize or the VANOS to reset or something like that. I will be looking into replacing both of my CPS when I get paid later this week. If you have any other suggestions I really appreciate the help.
It's important to understand that your problem is vanos solenoid electrical.
So resetting vanos adaptation, vanos oil pressure, CPS sensors, etc has noting to do with it. It's the four things I mentioned.

Here is a terminal files kit we use for scrapping the solenoid connector pins.

We use the wider head file. You can use that on the solenoid connector pins. I suspect the thinnest one would work on the cable connector pin receptacles. You are removing oxidation.
If that doesn't do it then you might look at the cable wiring.
We can send you another solenoid coil pack to try.
Jump to top Rajaie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Feb-13-2018, 02:38:58 PM   #10
Ceshomru

In the garage:

United States

Thank you for the info, I am a little confused why the CPS would not contribute to the issue but I am definitely not an expert with these engines. So I will take a closer look at my harness. I have 178k miles on this car and I am sure the wires are original and the plastic sheath is completely gone so it is a likely source.

Does anyone have the part number for this wire harness?

I rechecked the connector and pins then drove the car yesterday and after about 5 minutes the idle smoothed out and the SES light came back on with codes P0010 and P0012 but no misfire codes. Thanks again for the help. I will update with new info as I dig into the harness.