BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Wed, Nov-22-2017, 05:22:56 PM   #31
Toxic0n

Canada

Default Re: Best battery tender?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obioban View Post
Looks like the actual weight is 6.4 lbs

One of my winter projects this year is to relocate the battery to the drug bin under the hood. My battery is light enough that it's not doing anything consequential for weight distribution, and the battery cable that runs to the rear of the car weights 8 lbs by itself-- more than my entire battery
That's an interesting idea, I wish I knew about LiPo battery options when I replaced my battery earlier this year.

Re: relocating the battery - would you relocate the emergency disconnect/fuse thing as well? Could be a safety issue.

Ground Control, Mason Engineering, HRE, ACS, Rogue Engineering
Jump to top Toxic0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Wed, Nov-22-2017, 06:10:55 PM   #32
ECSTuning
M3Forum Sponsor

United States

I have several of the Schwaben Battery Maintainers that I use on toys (tractor, 4 wheelers, etc) and on cars when they are stored. I use the hardware set up instead of the clamps/cig plug where I can just for ease of install and use. Recovery mode has saved more than one battery... ok enough batteries that the 6 of these things I have are basically paid for in batteries they've saved...

-James

ECS Tuning your #1 source for all things German automotive
Customer Service Hours: M - F 8:00am - 8:00pm EST | Saturday: 10:00am - 7:00pm EST
Sales Team Hours: M - F 8:00am - 11:00pm EST | Saturday: 10:00am - 7:00pm EST
800.924.5172 | OEM BMW Part Number Search
sales@ecstuning.com | customerservice@ecstuning.com
Jump to top ECSTuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Feb-08-2018, 02:44:04 AM   #33
DMan
The Lurker

Canada

Resurrecting an older thread. How much amperage do you recommend for a trickle charger? The CTEK one is 4.3A but there are others that are 0.75A. Are these sufficient? I have a Metromile Pulse plugged into my OBD but I'm not sure how much of a parasitic draw it is.

D-Man
'03.5 M3 6MT
'11 Cayenne Turbo
'13 Tesla Model S 85
Jump to top DMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Feb-08-2018, 01:01:15 PM   #34
ClutchKickChris

United States

Quote:
Wherever you want-- you wire it in (if you choose to use it).

I'm running a Braille GU1R.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/brl-gu1r

I would suggest making sure you don't have any power draws, as the capacity is less than stock. That said, I have no issue parking the car for a week and having it fire right up. It also has had zero trouble firing up the car in cold temperatures. I've had it for ~3 years now. If I'll be parking it for more than a week, I connect it to the ctek lithium.

One of the things I really like about it is it will cut the power to the supply to the car if you leave it sitting long enough (not charging) that it has discharged-- the benefit of that is you can't discharge it to the point that you damage it. The CTEK Lithium can disengange the discharge lock when you connect it by holding the mode button for 10 seconds.

It's a bit pricey, but Lithium Poly batteries are supposed to last >2x as long as standard batteries, and it's around 2x the cost. So, long term, the cost shouldn't be more-- especially since I can't break it early by accidentally discharging it, like conventional batteries.

Looks like the actual weight is 6.4 lbs

One of my winter projects this year is to relocate the battery to the drug bin under the hood. My battery is light enough that it's not doing anything consequential for weight distribution, and the battery cable that runs to the rear of the car weights 8 lbs by itself-- more than my entire battery
It's a known fact that braille doesn't install a BMS (Battery Management System) in any of their lithium batteries as they're "intended for racing purposes only". They'll tell you there's no decent BMS' out there but this is just poor engineering and ignorance IMO. This makes them technically illegal to ship or install in a road going car.

That battery is simply 4S6P of A123 cylindrical 26650 cells with no balancing circuitry or BMS at all. The A123 cells are known to be quite volatile when things go wrong compared to other LiFePO4 on the market. Braille has a nice track record of batteries entering thermal runaway in the shipping industry as well as on the track. Just recently they were hit with over $1.1 million dollar fine from a lithium pack burning down a UPS truck after it was on a cargo plane. Just search "braille fine FAA".

I'm really not trying to rain on your parade but inform you of what you have in your M3.

This all coming from a Engineer that has worked at a lithium battery company for 8 years. We actually developed the algorithm of the CTEK lithium charger with CTEK years ago!

Jump to top ClutchKickChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Feb-08-2018, 01:21:16 PM   #35
Obioban

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClutchKickChris View Post
It's a known fact that braille doesn't install a BMS (Battery Management System) in any of their lithium batteries as they're "intended for racing purposes only". They'll tell you there's no decent BMS' out there but this is just poor engineering and ignorance IMO. This makes them technically illegal to ship or install in a road going car.

That battery is simply 4S6P of A123 cylindrical 26650 cells with no balancing circuitry or BMS at all. The A123 cells are known to be quite volatile when things go wrong compared to other LiFePO4 on the market. Braille has a nice track record of batteries entering thermal runaway in the shipping industry as well as on the track. Just recently they were hit with over $1.1 million dollar fine from a lithium pack burning down a UPS truck after it was on a cargo plane. Just search "braille fine FAA".

I'm really not trying to rain on your parade but inform you of what you have in your M3.

This all coming from a Engineer that has worked at a lithium battery company for 8 years. We actually developed the algorithm of the CTEK lithium charger with CTEK years ago!
This is all good to know and something I'm going to look into for sure.

I'm hoping what you're saying isn't true of my battery, since it was not advertised as track only as the ones you mentioned were:
Quote:
The GU1R model is designed specifically for the Import Tuner market (4 & 6 cylinder) for street/track vehicles and has enough cranking power for small block V8 race cars and hot rods with light electrical demands/accessories & standard compression.
It seems like there must be some form of battery management occurring, since it doesn't allow itself to be fully discharged...

I very much appreciate the heads up!

Side note: what Lithium battery would you suggest for a street driven car? Since it sounds like I may be replacing mine

Current Cars: 2005 IR/IR M3, 2001 LMB/blk M5, 03 530i, 04 M3 wagon, and some boring stuff
Past cars: 04 M3, 96 M3, S50B32 e36 M3 CM race car
Jump to top Obioban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Feb-08-2018, 02:35:00 PM   #36
ClutchKickChris

United States

Quote:

Side note: what Lithium battery would you suggest for a street driven car? Since it sounds like I may be replacing mine
So even though we're developing our own automotive engine cranking battery I can recommend a company called EarthX who we've worked with in the past. Their cells, BMS etc are well engineered and final assembly is actually USA based. Look at the ETX1200.

https://earthxbatteries.com/product-...rs-automobiles

Jump to top ClutchKickChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Feb-09-2018, 04:38:27 PM   #37
03FLBimmerm3

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMan View Post
Resurrecting an older thread. How much amperage do you recommend for a trickle charger? The CTEK one is 4.3A but there are others that are 0.75A. Are these sufficient? I have a Metromile Pulse plugged into my OBD but I'm not sure how much of a parasitic draw it is.
Depends on your use. In my case, my M3 is stored for weeks on occasion. I use a cheap 0.8A Trickle charger off Amazon and it does the job just fine. It also has a float mode so I don't have to worry about it overcharging.

Jump to top 03FLBimmerm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Feb-12-2018, 07:34:59 PM   #38
Dbrown1983
Dave

In the garage:

United States

I noticed my car was dead yesterday when I went out to start it. Hadn’t drove it in a month. I charged the battery but still get noting. That wouldn’t be anything else but battery right. And where do you guys buy replacement batteries. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jump to top Dbrown1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Feb-12-2018, 08:01:35 PM   #39
daytonaviolet
OEM CSL Whoore

Philippines

mine is parked for months this works well for me. comes with hardwire plug kit and alligator clips.

Tischer aka GetBmwParts
Jump to top daytonaviolet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Feb-12-2018, 10:28:55 PM   #40
Brian N
wubalubadubdub

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClutchKickChris View Post
So even though we're developing our own automotive engine cranking battery I can recommend a company called EarthX who we've worked with in the past. Their cells, BMS etc are well engineered and final assembly is actually USA based. Look at the ETX1200.

https://earthxbatteries.com/product-...rs-automobiles
What battery are you developing? When might it release?

Thanks for the tip on the other brand as well.

-My Journal-
Jump to top Brian N is offline   Reply With Quote