BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > M3 Frequently Asked Questions > E46 FAQ
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

Old Fri, Sep-05-2014, 08:29:31 PM   #51
zirrah
fack

United States

Default Re: next best to a M3?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhan View Post
agreed - but it also means 911s cost significantly more than an m3, used or new.

not many cars are better than a standard Carrera S
Agreed. Even the base car is phenomenal to drive. I'd only buy an S if I were going to track it. Gimmie a base with sport exhaust and a 6 speed and I'm happy. The rest would be gravy.

2006 CB Comp Pack and everything else
Jump to top zirrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Sun, Sep-07-2014, 04:29:36 PM   #52
zhan
Banned

United Nations

Quote:
Originally Posted by zirrah View Post
Agreed. Even the base car is phenomenal to drive. I'd only buy an S if I were going to track it. Gimmie a base with sport exhaust and a 6 speed and I'm happy. The rest would be gravy.
Before 991 came out, the 997 was quite enticing. I was --><-- close from getting one. After 991, there is no way to get a used 997 now, its just night and day difference inside.
Jump to top zhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Sep-08-2014, 12:38:30 AM   #53
zirrah
fack

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhan View Post
Before 991 came out, the 997 was quite enticing. I was --><-- close from getting one. After 991, there is no way to get a used 997 now, its just night and day difference inside.
Yes, the interior in the 991 is stoopid nice compared to the 997. But the 997 gives you more feedback which between the 2 I prefer. But if I were to get a convertible it'd be a 991 all the way (not that I've been pricing them...lol).

2006 CB Comp Pack and everything else
Jump to top zirrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Jun-11-2019, 01:37:16 PM   #54
mthreeltw

United States

here's an option i haven't seen mentioned... it's older, it can be difficult, and it's often expensive to repair, but the 944 turbo is a blast to drive, especially when well sorted. a lot of conversation about 911s - 997 or 991 - but that is a WHOLE OTHER tax bracket! i've had everything but the 991, but no 911 comes in at e46 M3 money other than a base 996 and even that might be a stretch. you can make a 944 turbo stupid fast for relatively little money and the handling is simply amazing. i had a 997S and it honestly bored me - just too composed and capable to be any fun. no matter what i buy, i always go back to older analog cars! always more fun.
Jump to top mthreeltw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Jun-27-2019, 01:08:43 PM   #55
username11

In the garage:

United States

I have a garage queen 997 Carrera S 6spd and it is more fun to look at than drive. It is kind of boring and uncomfortable once you are out on the road. It is the kind of car you can't wait to drive and then when you're driving you want to do something else. However it is really nice to look at, fun to detail, and keeps appreciating so it stays.

Frankly, I find my E46 M3 to be more engaging to drive on a regular basis.

My impression is Porsches are some of the most overrated cars on the planet, but somehow I keep buying more.
Jump to top username11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Jun-27-2019, 03:19:42 PM   #56
mthreeltw

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by username11 View Post
I have a garage queen 997 Carrera S 6spd and it is more fun to look at than drive. It is kind of boring and uncomfortable once you are out on the road. It is the kind of car you can't wait to drive and then when you're driving you want to do something else.
we feel identical about the 997S.

buuuuuut, tell me about the challenge stradale!!!

i have come so close several times to buying a V8V, but the lack of a rear seat/area at all always killed it for me. one of the best penned cars of all time. btw, i love the aircooled 911s - the best practical sports car ever built, imo. the only watercooled i'd like to have - the 996.2 GT3.
Jump to top mthreeltw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Jul-03-2019, 08:34:32 PM   #57
panaqua

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by mthreeltw View Post
we feel identical about the 997S.

this is fascinating to me because I always figured the 997S was the king of the "sporty, <3500 lbs, analog" cars from the mid-00s (aside from crazy stuff like GT3, etc.) .

I figured it was 997S on top, then 996 vs. E46 M3 for second tier, and everything else.

But no huh? All my UK car mags had me believing it was the greatest steer this side of a Caterham.

Jump to top panaqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Aug-18-2019, 03:39:56 AM   #58
MyGuitar

Croatia

The only car I've driven lately that's given me the fizz is the AMG GT-S. There was an Alfa QF, McLaren, new M3 and M4, M6, several 911s, all great cars by the way, but none stood out to me nearly as much as the Benz did. The Benz is unique, rare, very silly, and amazingly well built.

However, after putting less than 3000 miles on my M3 last year, I decided to stretch its legs over the last few weekends by taking several long drives through the Rockies. One thing that became abundantly clear is that no car will feel different on curvy mountain roads where you'll encounter traffic, cops, unreasonably low speed limits, and whatever else. I drove behind a newer 911 Turbo two weeks ago and regardless of the difference in power, he could not pull away from me due to aforementioned reasons. The other thing is that I've fallen for this car all over again. It's a gem.

So yeah, I'd love to be in the F430 or the AMG GTS, they are better cars, but is it worth 100k just to have the same driving experience on a public road but with multitudes of added attention and perhaps some maintenance anxiety on top of it?
Old Sun, Aug-18-2019, 04:19:33 PM   #59
dcdude

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyGuitar View Post
The only car I've driven lately that's given me the fizz is the AMG GT-S. There was an Alfa QF, McLaren, new M3 and M4, M6, several 911s, all great cars by the way, but none stood out to me nearly as much as the Benz did. The Benz is unique, rare, very silly, and amazingly well built.

However, after putting less than 3000 miles on my M3 last year, I decided to stretch its legs over the last few weekends by taking several long drives through the Rockies. One thing that became abundantly clear is that no car will feel different on curvy mountain roads where you'll encounter traffic, cops, unreasonably low speed limits, and whatever else. I drove behind a newer 911 Turbo two weeks ago and regardless of the difference in power, he could not pull away from me due to aforementioned reasons. The other thing is that I've fallen for this car all over again. It's a gem.

So yeah, I'd love to be in the F430 or the AMG GTS, they are better cars, but is it worth 100k just to have the same driving experience on a public road but with multitudes of added attention and perhaps some maintenance anxiety on top of it?
Agreed. In terms of real performance in real-world conditions, you really start to get into diminishing returns when you have more than 300 HP and spend more than $40K on a performance car. After that, you quickly get into diminishing returns and unless you spend time on the track, the rest is just status, I guess. This was a big reason why I sold my 993 Porsche. It seemed like there was nowhere nearby where I could really drive it.