BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Mon, Sep-02-2019, 11:23:24 PM   #1
erickrayos

In the garage:

United States

Default porsche bbk retrofit problem.

Tried to install the fronts today and I encountered a problem where the "Pins" inside was in the way of fitting the calipers on to the brakets into the rotors. it was about 1/4" off.

was wondering if anyone else encountered this problem.

When installing the Rallyroad bracket the marking B001-LTW should face you correct?

this is about how it looks like when trying to slide the calipers into the bracket, I already put back the oem brakes on so this is just a representation of what we are getting.

Jump to top erickrayos is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Mon, Sep-02-2019, 11:51:33 PM   #2
obious

United States

Default Re: porsche bbk retrofit problem.

I just installed this same bracket. I suspect you mounted the RR adapter on the wrong side of the spindle's mount holes. The centering should be dead-on accurate. You are correct that the part number should be facing you.
Jump to top obious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Sep-03-2019, 12:09:24 AM   #3
erickrayos

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by obious View Post
I just installed this same bracket. I suspect you mounted the RR adapter on the wrong side of the spindle's mount holes. The centering should be dead-on accurate. You are correct that the part number should be facing you.
then the bracket mounts from the front (from your side) and then the bolts go thru the back is that correct? that's how we tried doing it.
Old Tue, Sep-03-2019, 01:43:38 AM   #4
nwGTS

In the garage:

United States

Those are good suggestions but look at your pad retainer rods too. Some of these calipers have rods that are further in than others just dependent on the model 911 they came from. The rod should be flush with the outer face. If it’s pushed in at all it will encroach the rotor. Easy solution is to just cut a quarter inch or so of each rod off. I had to do this. Took 20 min with a Dremel. NBD. You’re almost there!

2012 997.2 GTS Black/Black 6MT/LSD/Aero
Jump to top nwGTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Sep-03-2019, 01:45:13 AM   #5
obious

United States

Yes, that's correct. What is the part number for the caliper? It should be stamped on. I can tell you that the pins should be the same length on both sides. Can you show more pictures?
Old Tue, Sep-03-2019, 01:51:05 AM   #6
nwGTS

In the garage:

United States

Agree above. Pad retaining pins/rods should be the same length. So all four would encroach and all four would need to be cut if everything else is mounted correctly. Can you send pics of the rotor in between the rods? Does it fit? Can you show a pic of the outside face of the caliper where the rods enter?

2012 997.2 GTS Black/Black 6MT/LSD/Aero
Jump to top nwGTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Sep-03-2019, 02:40:56 AM   #7
erickrayos

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Yes, that's correct. What is the part number for the caliper? It should be stamped on. I can tell you that the pins should be the same length on both sides. Can you show more pictures?
The pins are the same length both sides, the pins from the side where the logo would be is flush while on the other side is pushed a bit inwards but the side that touches the rotors are the ones on the logo side.

Even if I cut it, it makes me think that the pads won't go in as a result tho. coz if I try to put the calipers onto the rotors w/ the pads on the clearance is already very tight as it should be when the rotors are going in centered into the calipers.

Here's the pictures of the part numbers, they are 996.351.425 and 996.351.426

Old Tue, Sep-03-2019, 03:12:12 AM   #8
obious

United States

That is baffling. Those are the correct part numbers. They are definitely mounted like this?:

The only other thing that comes to mind is that if the spindle's casting is irregular around the mount holes, (very common) it might be interfering with the adapters ability to seat properly. 3 of 4 of my mounts needed to be ground down a bit to get the adapter to fit flush. You can see even in the picture above, the mount was ground down to make room for the adapter.

I'm referring to the outside perimeter of the mount holes -- not the faces. You can most likely see casting seams.

Last edited by obious; Tue, Sep-03-2019 at 03:15:37 AM.
Old Tue, Sep-03-2019, 04:18:05 AM   #9
erickrayos

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
That is baffling. Those are the correct part numbers. They are definitely mounted like this?:

The only other thing that comes to mind is that if the spindle's casting is irregular around the mount holes, (very common) it might be interfering with the adapters ability to seat properly. 3 of 4 of my mounts needed to be ground down a bit to get the adapter to fit flush. You can see even in the picture above, the mount was ground down to make room for the adapter.

I'm referring to the outside perimeter of the mount holes -- not the faces. You can most likely see casting seams.

That picture is showing the backside right? if so, yes that is correct. thats how we fitted it the first try. we looked behind and everything seems to be flush in terms of the bracket fitting.
Old Tue, Sep-03-2019, 05:16:25 AM   #10
Braymond141

In the garage:

United States

The pins are not fixed. Get a c clamp and draw the pin back through the caliper so it is flush with the face. It’s really a stupid easy problem to resolve.
Jump to top Braymond141 is offline   Reply With Quote