BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E36 M3 (1992-1999)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E36 M3 (1992-1999) {Euro - S50 B32 321hp @ 7400 rpm} {U.S. - S52 B32 240 hp @ 6000 rpm}
Total Produced: 71,212 - Years Produced: 1992 to 1999

Old Sat, Aug-10-2019, 04:05:32 PM   #21
englishtom1596q

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: Upgrading E36 M3 to a BBK this month, what brand and model can you recommend for

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
Wasnít the blue flywheel of death a previous iteration? Many have used that combination. If it does transmit gearbox noise at idle, it might be lessened by running a different fluid mix. The best way to lessen it is to run a tune with a raised idle speed, like 850 rpm.

Many people like PSS9 coilovers for daily driving due to comfort. A lot has been written on them.

The OP has had his car for about 20 years. Itís a toy for him at this point. Let him spend whatever he has budgeted to make it more appealing to him. I have had my 99M3 for only 14 years but am in the same situation, though I started nodding it with in 6 months (stage 1 supercharger) and have not stopped (now built block, fully worked head, turbo, 6 speed GS6-53, coilovers, BBK, etc.).
I have no problem with people throwing money at cars, i think its great. Its just sad to see money get wasted on absolutely horrendous mods. The UUC flywheel/M5 clutch is just way overpriced for something that causes other issues. PSS9's ride absolutely horrendous. The shocks aren't dampened properly for the springs and rides worse than $500 eBay coilovers. I've done both of these mods when I was young and dumb and regret not listening to others and researching more.
Old Sat, Aug-10-2019, 06:49:31 PM   #22
pbonsalb

Default Re: Upgrading E36 M3 to a BBK this month, what brand and model can you recommend for

Here is a review that also covers some other options.

http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=518458

I have heard good things about the GC Track/School kit. Drove a car with them and 450/550 springs years ago and liked them. I have run TCK SA for nearly 10 years and like them. I think I started at 400/500 and am now at more like 550/650. Before that I had Koni with H&R sport springs and they were ok.

20 year old M3 really needs a complete suspension refresh. Not just shocks and struts. There are about 30 mounts and bushings and links and ball joints.
Jump to top pbonsalb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Aug-10-2019, 07:06:29 PM   #23
Braymond141

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by englishtom1596q View Post
You're throwing money at this car for bad stuff.. Bilstein coilovers are junk. I had them and they're horrendous. UUC flywheel is junk. look up blue flywheel of death. And buying BBK just because? Probably not the best ideas..
This, minus the coilovers. I run the non-adjustable H&R setup (which is Bilstein) and they are OE+ feeling. B8 Sport shocks/struts, totally agree are horrendous city driving.

UUC clutch setup is seriously shit. Ran one for 70k miles, never again.

Put your budget into the best tires on the market (PS4S) before cheapo BBK.

Last edited by Braymond141; Sat, Aug-10-2019 at 07:17:30 PM.
Jump to top Braymond141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Aug-11-2019, 03:01:57 AM   #24
englishtom1596q

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braymond141 View Post
This, minus the coilovers. I run the non-adjustable H&R setup (which is Bilstein) and they are OE+ feeling. B8 Sport shocks/struts, totally agree are horrendous city driving.

i had the PSS9's so i guess it depends on which ones you go with. i switched from H&R sport springs with koni SA shocks and that setup was 100% better. Also almost everything from UUC is overpriced garbage.
Old Sun, Aug-11-2019, 06:15:59 AM   #25
brinsd
Brinsd

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
Here is a review that also covers some other options.

http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=518458

I have heard good things about the GC Track/School kit. Drove a car with them and 450/550 springs years ago and liked them. I have run TCK SA for nearly 10 years and like them. I think I started at 400/500 and am now at more like 550/650. Before that I had Koni with H&R sport springs and they were ok.

20 year old M3 really needs a complete suspension refresh. Not just shocks and struts. There are about 30 mounts and bushings and links and ball joints.
Thanks, I am having everything done, that's why I was upgrading to coilovers. Most everything has not been touched in 10 years and has less than 1000 miles. From tires to window seals the car is being refreshed. I've waited a long time to do some of the things I have never done. I didn't know about the UUC Flywheel issue. Will research and discuss that with my shop next week.
Old Sun, Aug-11-2019, 06:28:18 AM   #26
brinsd
Brinsd

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by englishtom1596q View Post
I have no problem with people throwing money at cars, i think its great. Its just sad to see money get wasted on absolutely horrendous mods. The UUC flywheel/M5 clutch is just way overpriced for something that causes other issues. PSS9's ride absolutely horrendous. The shocks aren't dampened properly for the springs and rides worse than $500 eBay coilovers. I've done both of these mods when I was young and dumb and regret not listening to others and researching more.
Thanks for bringing my attention to the UUC Flywheel issues, I had no idea. The Flywheel and clutch have been sitting in their boxes in my garage for over 8 years. Can the M5 clutch be used with out it, does one need the other? Is there a reason for upgrading the clutch if you're not doing the flywheel? The car is not a track car. It's my Sunday driver up the coast for breakfast or lunch. I also have a Dinan Stage 1 Suspension kit with I think Koni shocks in the box. Been sitting for a decade. I wanted to use it but thought that quality adjustable Coilovers where better???
Old Sun, Aug-11-2019, 06:29:22 AM   #27
brinsd
Brinsd

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by fattycharged View Post
That UUC lwfw has a lot of chatter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Thanks, that's really not my goal. I have more to think about for sure!
Old Sun, Aug-11-2019, 06:30:58 AM   #28
brinsd
Brinsd

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by propchef View Post
19 posts and not one pic of OPs chariot.

Let's see this 66k mile garage queen!
Pics in my garage on here.
Old Sun, Aug-11-2019, 08:21:55 AM   #29
brinsd
Brinsd

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braymond141 View Post

Glad I posted this question. Its brought out a lot of good advice and user info. Had no Guess that's an eBay item now, wow.

So if the car is in the shop getting a refresh of filters, hoses, belts, bushings, fluids drained and refilled, new tires, new window and door seals, and a few other odds and ends, what do you upgrade? I have a Dinan Stage 1 Suspension that's been sitting for nearly a decade. I originally did an HR spring kit and that has been on the car forever. other suspension tuning includes, x-brace, F&R sway bars and front strut tower brace. My intention was to use the Dinan setup but thought after all these years I should just sell the set and go Coilovers. Now I am more confused than ever, lol. I bought the Michelin PS4S tires a couple of weeks ago. They seem to be the hands down favorites.

Thanks for the help.
Old Sun, Aug-11-2019, 05:14:21 PM   #30
brinsd
Brinsd

In the garage:

United States

Digging in the garage this morning through boxes of parts I've had for a decade or so, I found a set of Bilstein Sport B8 Shocks (part # F4-BE5-2453-H2) and matching struts (part # F4-VE3-A585-H1).

If I am hearing you all correctly, you are suggesting I will not like the harsh street ride of the Bilstein PSS9's and because I am not going to track the car beyond a few times if ever, so it's really not a beneficial update.

So at this point I have 2 suspension set ups I've had for many years in the garage. One is the Bistein Sport shocks and struts and the other is the Dinan Stage 1 kit. Is the Dinan kit the preferred set up for a street car that wants to do an autocross or track day once a year?

Thanks for the help! I'm glad these parts will finally be getting used. Going to have a few things to sell after this too.