BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Sun, Sep-15-2019, 08:24:15 PM   #1
bmw m3 s50
Why So Serious ? :}

Portugal

Default Anyone running Forced Induction with cats?

Anyone here running forced induction, particularly a supercharger, with cats in their section 1? If you are, which brand of cats are you running and how have they held up?
Jump to top bmw m3 s50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Sun, Sep-15-2019, 11:33:57 PM   #2
GrendelsbaneM3

United States

Default Re: Anyone running Forced Induction with cats?

I am running ESS 575 and Euro cats for Section 1.
2004 Silver M3 / SMG / TC Kline DA Coilovers / Eibach front and rear sway bars / Proflex bushings / Predator Orion V2 Multi-Color LED Angel Eyes / ALPS Jammers / Clear Bumper Reflectors / Zionsville Competition Cooling Kit with Offset Fan / AKG Motor mounts / Rogue Engineering Transmission Mount / AKG differential bushings / Euro mirrors / B&B Exhaust / CSL SMG tune /DME CSL tune / ESS 575 Supercharger / Stillen AP Racing BBK / J-Fiber Carbon Fiber Driveshaft

upload
Jump to top GrendelsbaneM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Sep-16-2019, 11:59:52 AM   #3
bmw m3 s50

Portugal

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrendelsbaneM3 View Post
I am running ESS 575 and Euro cats for Section 1.
How long have you been running the euro cat? How many miles on the setup up?

Any issues?
Old Mon, Sep-16-2019, 09:51:54 PM   #4
GrendelsbaneM3

United States

Only a year. I have no idea how many miles are on the cats since I got them used from a member here. I have only done less than 5K miles on the thing since I blew my motor. No issues with the cats prior to my engine going boom.

My issues dealt with heat soak and what ultimately killed the motor head gasket blowing.
2004 Silver M3 / SMG / TC Kline DA Coilovers / Eibach front and rear sway bars / Proflex bushings / Predator Orion V2 Multi-Color LED Angel Eyes / ALPS Jammers / Clear Bumper Reflectors / Zionsville Competition Cooling Kit with Offset Fan / AKG Motor mounts / Rogue Engineering Transmission Mount / AKG differential bushings / Euro mirrors / B&B Exhaust / CSL SMG tune /DME CSL tune / ESS 575 Supercharger / Stillen AP Racing BBK / J-Fiber Carbon Fiber Driveshaft

upload
Jump to top GrendelsbaneM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Sep-17-2019, 12:57:38 AM   #5
Headlock

Australia

AA Prima plus on stock euro exhaust (except for RE muffler). No worries with cats that i know of.
Jump to top Headlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Sep-17-2019, 12:26:00 PM   #6
bmw m3 s50

Portugal

So both of you have not had any issues with the superchargers and euro cats, interesting. I fear is spending a ton of money on cats then they end up failing due to the increased stress of the supercharger. I am wondering if supersprint or gesi cats will hold up just as well? I am looking to get rid of exhaust smells when not running cats.
Old Tue, Sep-17-2019, 01:20:55 PM   #7
ECB

In the garage:

United States

I wouldn't let forced induction keep you from running cats. My m3 is turbocharged and my e39 m5 is supercharged, both of which have cats and no issues. I was catless a while ago and the smell was pretty bad.

2004 M3 / 2003 M5 / 2007 Porsche 911 turbo / 2016 428i
Jump to top ECB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Sep-17-2019, 07:33:12 PM   #8
Dr M3an M3
GroupBuyingPower@outlook. com

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw m3 s50 View Post
So both of you have not had any issues with the superchargers and euro cats, interesting. I fear is spending a ton of money on cats then they end up failing due to the increased stress of the supercharger. I am wondering if supersprint or gesi cats will hold up just as well? I am looking to get rid of exhaust smells when not running cats.
Yea both should hold up (Supersprint's HJS Race cat and GESI). High quality metallic cats should be able to handle the heat. The HJS Cats will definitely hold up.

Mods: Genuine OE CSL Bumper, Both Karbonius and Streamline CSL Airboxes, OE CSL Snorkel w/ working Flap, OE Map Sensor + OE Air Rail, Paul Claude Custom Tune, CSL Engine management with CSL converted DME, Supersprint V1 Stepped Headers w/ Oversized HJS Race Catted section 1, SS 2.5" Twin-Piped Oversized Custom section 2, Custom Oversized Supersprint muffler, Catcam's Billet 280/272 cams, WPC treated rod-bearings, VinceBar (weld) + Redish Plates, Full Beisan VANOS lockdown, BBS LMs w/ PSS, Brembo GT6 (front) + GT4 (rear) BBK, CSL style CF diffuser, Vorsteiner CF CSL Bootlid, CSL SMG Engine DME tune, CSL '255' SMG DME tune, SMG Pump Relocated.
For Sale: BNIB OE CSL Wheels
Active Group-Buys (PM if Interested):
Camshaft Group-Buy, OE CSL Bootlids, Supersprint Headers/Exhaust thread, New Supersprint Oversized Twin-Piped Section 2
Jump to top Dr M3an M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Sep-18-2019, 05:45:12 PM   #9
bmw m3 s50

Portugal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECB View Post
I wouldn't let forced induction keep you from running cats. My m3 is turbocharged and my e39 m5 is supercharged, both of which have cats and no issues. I was catless a while ago and the smell was pretty bad.
Yea, looking to to get rid of the smell as well. I wanted to hear from FI owners actually running cats. It's looking from these responses like that I won't have issues running cats.
Old Wed, Sep-18-2019, 05:59:43 PM   #10
bmw m3 s50

Portugal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr M3an M3 View Post
Yea both should hold up (Supersprint's HJS Race cat and GESI). High quality metallic cats should be able to handle the heat. The HJS Cats will definitely hold up.
That is what I am hoping because I don't want to shell out money on expensive cats to have them fail. Running NA poses no issues as the cats are proven to hold up but with FI the stress level are increased. This increases the chances of failure. Hopefully, using a high quality cat will help with reliability and life.