BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Thu, Jan-22-2015, 03:52:43 PM   #21
buzz367

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: CSL Front Bumper vs Stock :: Brake Cooling

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscbeemerM3 View Post
no one really knows except the M engineers.
It's actually surprising that an M engineer never floats by these forums...maybe on the german forums...
Old Thu, Jan-22-2015, 04:10:30 PM   #22
Drewster

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzz367 View Post
It's actually surprising that an M engineer never floats by these forums...maybe on the german forums...
They're probably out there looking at Alpha-N stuff for the car and doing something like this:

For most engineers, the paperwork you sign when you get the job pretty much bars you from revealing anything technical - even inadvertently or unofficially, so the risk far outweighs helping the community.
Jump to top Drewster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Jun-04-2017, 04:18:56 PM   #23
Youngblood750

bump..

my m3 also has CSL looking bumper (probably, previous owner put some cheap replica CSL bumper I guess)

But that bumper has some crack and need some repair or replacement. So I think may be go back to stock bumper with some front spoiler. then I can install brake duct too..

I believe cooling the brake system is important for preventing the brake fluid boiling. really curious why M engineer design that way...
Jump to top Youngblood750 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Jun-04-2017, 04:50:41 PM   #24
lmtfi

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youngblood750 View Post
bump..

my m3 also has CSL looking bumper (probably, previous owner put some cheap replica CSL bumper I guess)

But that bumper has some crack and need some repair or replacement. So I think may be go back to stock bumper with some front spoiler. then I can install brake duct too..

I believe cooling the brake system is important for preventing the brake fluid boiling. really curious why M engineer design that way...

Aftermarket ducts are not needed on a street-driven M3 (and very few track M3s). What is needed is quality pads and brake fluid.

Heck - I'd bet that 90% of street M3s still have the stone guards in the stock air ducts.
Old Sun, Jun-04-2017, 05:07:55 PM   #25
Obioban

In the garage:

United States

Could always do this (M5, but would work for the M3 too), if you want to keep the CSL bumper and have brake ducting:

Current Cars: 2005 IR/IR M3, 2001 LMB/blk M5, 03 530i, 04 M3 wagon, and some boring stuff
Past cars: 04 M3, 96 M3, S50B32 e36 M3 CM race car
Jump to top Obioban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Jun-04-2017, 07:28:01 PM   #26
Dr M3an M3
GroupBuyingPower@outlook. com

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obioban View Post
Could always do this (M5, but would work for the M3 too), if you want to keep the CSL bumper and have brake ducting:
Great minds think alike. I came here to say precisely this, but it appears you beat me too it.

Here is an example of those brake ducts on an M3 with CSL bumper. I plan to do something as subtle as this, once I get my CSL bumper.

As you can see, it is VERY subtle:

Problem solved.

Mods: Genuine OE CSL Bumper, Both Karbonius and Streamline CSL Airboxes, OE CSL Snorkel w/ working Flap, OE Map Sensor + OE Air Rail, Paul Claude Custom Tune, CSL Engine management with CSL converted DME, Supersprint V1 Stepped Headers w/ Oversized Catless section 1, SS 2.5" Twin-Piped Oversized section 2, Rogue Engineering Muffler (soon to be switched), WPC treated rod-bearings, VinceBar (weld) + Redish Plates, Full Beisan VANOS lockdown, BBS LMs w/ PSS, CSL style CF diffuser, Vorsteiner CF CSL Bootlid, CSL SMG Engine DME tune, CSL '255' SMG DME tune.
Active Group-Buys (PM if Interested): OE CSL Bootlids, Supersprint Headers/Exhaust MEGA thread, New Supersprint Oversized Twin-Piped Section 2 ...and more to come!
Please PM me - In search of: Nothing at the moment.
Jump to top Dr M3an M3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Jun-04-2017, 07:47:21 PM   #27
Obioban

In the garage:

United States

You could even do it completely behind the mesh, for full stealth.

Current Cars: 2005 IR/IR M3, 2001 LMB/blk M5, 03 530i, 04 M3 wagon, and some boring stuff
Past cars: 04 M3, 96 M3, S50B32 e36 M3 CM race car
Jump to top Obioban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Jun-04-2017, 08:23:09 PM   #28
Dr M3an M3

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obioban View Post
You could even do it completely behind the mesh, for full stealth.
Yea, that is the best option.

Mods: Genuine OE CSL Bumper, Both Karbonius and Streamline CSL Airboxes, OE CSL Snorkel w/ working Flap, OE Map Sensor + OE Air Rail, Paul Claude Custom Tune, CSL Engine management with CSL converted DME, Supersprint V1 Stepped Headers w/ Oversized Catless section 1, SS 2.5" Twin-Piped Oversized section 2, Rogue Engineering Muffler (soon to be switched), WPC treated rod-bearings, VinceBar (weld) + Redish Plates, Full Beisan VANOS lockdown, BBS LMs w/ PSS, CSL style CF diffuser, Vorsteiner CF CSL Bootlid, CSL SMG Engine DME tune, CSL '255' SMG DME tune.
Active Group-Buys (PM if Interested): OE CSL Bootlids, Supersprint Headers/Exhaust MEGA thread, New Supersprint Oversized Twin-Piped Section 2 ...and more to come!
Old Sun, Jun-04-2017, 09:12:26 PM   #29
nasieg

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnUrleft View Post

In fact every case of "warped brake disc" that I have investigated, whether on a racing car or a street car, has turned out to be friction pad material transferred unevenly to the surface of the disc. This uneven deposition results in thickness variation (TV) or run-out due to hot spotting that occurred at elevated temperatures.
This is true!

As far as needing the brake ducts. I'm sure it is not needed at every track, for every driver, in every ambient temp, but sooner or later you will overcook the brakes without them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr M3an M3;1067667616

Here is an example of those brake ducts on an M3 with CSL bumper. I plan to do something as subtle as this, once I get my CSL bumper.

[IMG
http://i1084.photobucket.com/albums/j412/LayJak/Mobile%20Uploads/F3A770D1-BBE9-415E-B7BC-CC8755140B23_zps0hfrgbpk.jpg[/IMG]

As you can see, it is VERY subtle:

I like that idea. And on a unrelated note. This is the first 1 piece CSL type splitter I kind of like. What kind is that?

My Journal

Besian VANOS, Euro Headers & Section1, TTFS tune, TMS under-dive pulleys, TC Kline S/A Coil Overs, Brembo 996 Calipers, ECS 2 Piece Rotors, Sportline CS8's, SG CSL Diffuser, OEM CSL Trunk
Jump to top nasieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Jun-04-2017, 09:22:32 PM   #30
Dr M3an M3

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasieg View Post
And on a unrelated note. This is the first 1 piece CSL type splitter I kind of like. What kind is that?
Not sure to be honest, I saw the picture on IG. (Lindmown) is his IG name. Someone asked this question on his page and he just replied that it came from a local BMW parts store in Norway. A lot of his page is in Norwegian, so I'm not too sure.

I agree though, looks like one of the better 1-piece lips that I have seen as well. I still prefer the splitters though.