BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Wed, Nov-05-2008, 05:48:55 AM   #31
mgs333
+1 infraction :roll:

Antarctica

in for installed pics
Jump to top mgs333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Wed, Nov-05-2008, 05:51:17 AM   #32
azndrunk74

Taiwan

Why is there so much crying over a sub $100 part?? There's not a whole lot to lose for trying the part out and definitely more to gain. Is the recession making you guys penny pinch that much? Maybe they need to be wrapped in carbon fiber to make everyone happy lol.
Old Wed, Nov-05-2008, 06:30:16 AM   #33
bergx7

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed@SPEngineering View Post
I'll snap some pictures once there is sufficient light. Pretty much this scoop sits just behind the kidney grills.

For the naysayers...

We took the highest peak HP run of the baseline, pitted against the highest peak HP run after the scoop was installed. For you being the "technical" person you are, bergx7, why are you ONLY looking at peak numbers? You're not driving at PEAK conditions 24/7.

For all the rest of the normal people, that are driving in the low and mid-range RPM's, you will see some noteworthy gains. If you look at the 2 dyno graphs, you can see I did a cursor over the low/mid range AS WELL as the top end. That's why I had TWO graphs.

Nothing was changed on the dyno between the runs, car was strapped down the whole time, and all we did was install the scoop.

For the testing, we had a 3 dyno fan's pointed towards the car for all runs. Car was cooled down for 15 mins before the first stock run, then we did 3 passes in the stock configuration, with about a minute inbetween each run. Car was cooled down for another 15 mins. We then installed the scoop (30 seconds), then which we did another 3 pulls.

As for calling our product a bent $5 dollar piece with some black paint, why don't you tell that to RPi who sells essentially the same thing for more? They charge even more for these same style scoops just because they're on an M5 as well. RPi is a reputable company with great products and service, and I support them on a product that makes power, who cares what their selling price is, it's their business.

Also, I think it's an insult that you say the M3 community is less educated in the technical aspects of things as compared to your "Audi" crowd. Please keep your "Audi" technical knowledge over there, because it seems to me that you know nothing of how to read a dyno graph.

We pride ourselves on being fair for all dyno tests. We welcome customers to have their car dyno'd to see actual HP gains in front of their eyes, in which our customer did today and left with a smile on his face. We have no reason to lie to anyone about HP numbers.

Any questions and comments are welcomed.

Ed @ SP Engineering
Ed,

You are right that there is a notable bump in two roughly 1k rev ranges (bump in tq from 3.5k-4.5k and a bump in hp from 6.7k to 8k) but my point was that it is pretty damn close everywhere else (I used peak numbers because they were provided and not debatable rather than trying to read the difference between the two very closely spaced lines at all other points on the graph). If I was really anal I would have looked at everything including the fact that the scooped graph starts later in the rev range. Presumably that's just because you started the pull at a slightly higher rpm but conspiracy theorists might suggest that you are hiding a dip in power below 3.5k (lets be clear that I don't know/care if this is the case, just giving an example)

The more important point of the post was a desire to know more about how the dyno pulls were performed, given the very close nature of the hp/tq figures over most of the rev range. You answered that question sufficiently. Thank you.

And I apologize if it seems like you got singled out. I've experienced a growing frustration with the general lack of information (or abundance of questionable information) from tuners on this board. Including my recent purchase from a forum vendor (not you) which included some shoddy parts. To your credit, you have been quite responsive on this thread thus far.

Furthermore my point was not to insult the M3 crowd but to point out the fact that there are a greater number of casual enthusiasts on this board than on the B5 S4 board. Its not an insult. It's a fact. The M3 is naturally a far more dynamically satisfying car (not to mention far more beautiful) so it attracts both the hardcore enthusiasts and those who just appreciate a fine automobile. The Audi crowd, on the other hand, is primarily hardcore gearheads. You have to be to pour money into the AWD money hole piggy that is the Audi S4. Most people don't enjoy blowing through turbos and figuring out their next "homebrew" high-boost setup quite like the audi guys (and most M3 owners don't know the innards of their cars as well as the audi guys simply because ours don't fail as often).

Frankly I think the M3 guys made a more informed choice (ahem...there IS a reason I switched). Those who want to go nuts with the HPF kits and VF blowers are welcome to do so (and will have a far more reliable, beautiful and most likely faster car than the audi crowd) while those who just want to enjoy the driving bliss of an M car with a few bolt ons can do that without having to worry about memorizing a haynes/bentley manual
Jump to top bergx7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Nov-05-2008, 06:33:35 AM   #34
0-60Motorsports
Established 1998....

In the garage:

Bahrain

When i get my RPI scoop im gona get it covered in CF 1x1 to match the other parts
EURO 04 M3 Mods: GC DA's / Eibach Sways / PF RTABs / RE RCAs / INTRAVEE II / ///MFEST Badges / M5 SMG Knob / VCSL: Bumper + Race Lip, CF Trunk, CF Diffusor / DIETZ TV in Motion / SuperSprint: Stepped Headers, Cat Deletes, Res X-pipe, Sport Muffler / Z8 Starter Button / Lamin-X / STM Paddles / OEM CSL: Steering, Interior, Intake, CF Roof / Terra MSS54HP CSL Clone + TTFS Tune / BBS CH's, LIGHTWERKZ / ST40's / DINAN RSB / RE Race Brace / BW Oil Cooler / 3.91 gears / Radium OCC
Jump to top 0-60Motorsports is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Nov-05-2008, 07:06:22 AM   #35
RynoS54
wuuut wuuuuuut

United States

Hey ED what's the price for the elbow and scoop together? I prefer my air filters oil free.....
Old Wed, Nov-05-2008, 05:03:51 PM   #36
TarponGuy

United States

I'll be ordering one just as soon as I finish pumping about 15,000 gallons of water up my exhaust pipe as suggested in the "water trick" thread.
Jump to top TarponGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Nov-05-2008, 05:31:31 PM   #37
Ed@SPEngineering

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarponGuy View Post
I'll be ordering one just as soon as I finish pumping about 15,000 gallons of water up my exhaust pipe as suggested in the "water trick" thread.
Sounds good, maybe you should try pouring water into your intake aswell.

4emthree5, please check your PM. Thank you!

Ed @ SP Engineering
Old Wed, Nov-05-2008, 05:35:40 PM   #38
Ed@SPEngineering

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foo2rama View Post
I am also on the skeptic end of this. These seem to work at increased speed, not on a dyno with 3 dyno cooling fans that do not replicate speed, esp if this just bolts to the front of the stock intake system.. does it replace the stock intake at the top of the kidney's? if it does that it makes more sense. We need pics on a car.
Once you see pictures it should make a bit more sense. My fault for not taking pictures the first time around.

These install right behind the kidney grill, you still keep the factory intake system, 100%. Nothing is changed from the factory design, this is an add on to that.

Pics this afternoon, guaranteed.

Ed @ SP Engineering
Old Wed, Nov-05-2008, 06:18:42 PM   #39
jeffh01
///M happy

United States

What speed of car motion did the fans simulate on the dyno runs?
Mods: Smoked corners, reflectors, side markers, fogs, middle brake light, and updated trunk reflectors; stealth signal bulbs front and rear; dark window tint, black rear lip spoiler, black ///M license plate holder, OEM front strut brace
Jump to top jeffh01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Nov-05-2008, 06:37:20 PM   #40
Calel
Das is nicht eine boobie?!

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by azndrunk74 View Post
Why is there so much crying over a sub $100 part?? There's not a whole lot to lose for trying the part out and definitely more to gain. Is the recession making you guys penny pinch that much? Maybe they need to be wrapped in carbon fiber to make everyone happy lol.
Im in for a carbon fiber wrapped one!!!

Someone told me the other day that i could wrap my entire car in a vinyl carbon fiber sticker..

I almost considered it... Almost...
Jump to top Calel is offline   Reply With Quote