BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > M3Forum Garage > M3 Track: Racing and DE
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

M3 Track: Racing and DE Best mod for speed is learning to get the most out of what you currently have. Tracks and DE's is the place to start!

Old Wed, Mar-14-2018, 02:22:48 AM   #1
Kwakjoe

In the garage:

United States

Default Laptimer

Trying to figure out what to use to get my laptimes. Curious what you guys using besides Aim Solo. I’m using my phone right now with an app called iLapTimer 2, but not sure how accurate it is. I’m probably going to wait to buy the Solo 2 DL eventually when it comes out.
Old Wed, Mar-14-2018, 02:42:50 AM   #2
trackjunky

United States

Default Re: Laptimer

I have an android phone (Samsung S8+) and I use RaceChrono Pro with Garmin GLO as the external GPS receiver. The in-car timer screen is very readable and gives very good real time data. The app is also decent for off track lap analysis with sector breakdowns and comparisons between different runs. For HPDE, this checks all the right boxes I need and it keeps me happy enough to not have to look for something better (and spend more $$$).

It helped me get my PB at WGI this past season by showing where I was gaining/losing time in real time.

Old Wed, Mar-14-2018, 02:53:46 AM   #3
Tinnit

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwakjoe View Post
Trying to figure out what to use to get my laptimes. Curious what you guys using besides Aim Solo. Iím using my phone right now with an app called iLapTimer 2, but not sure how accurate it is. Iím probably going to wait to buy the Solo 2 DL eventually when it comes out.
Phone-based timers are not accurate. I used to use Harry's Lap Timer and augmented it with an external bluetooth GPS unit that had a much higher refresh rate than what phones have. It was a little better, but still nowhere near as good as a dedicated lap timer.

I currently use a Traqmate, but I believe they've gone out of business. Damn shame - they had good market penetration and the product was solid. I know lots of racers with old tqm files that are gonna be difficult for new folks to open.

If I were buying again now, I'd buy a product that can be coupled with a digital gauge cluster. Probably the AiM MXS or MXG. These systems plug into the CAN bus on our cars and can provide a whole slew of additional information along with lap times. Good for monitoring coolant temps, oil pressure, etc to see if there's a need to upgrade.
Jump to top Tinnit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Mar-14-2018, 11:09:12 AM   #4
ThunderMoose

In the garage:

United States

I think AIM solo DL with smartycam is best setup. It's a bit costly but the data and ease of data/video integration makes it worth it. So for the cost of 2 sets of Nittos you'll have a lifetime of quality data.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#67 2017 NASA TX TT3 Champion

FLMS Half Cage, RaceTech 4009HR drivers seat, Schroth 6-Pt Harness, E.S.S. Fire System, AIM SOLO DL with ECU Harness, SmartyCam, Angle Aluminum with VAC dead pedal, Sparco Steering Wheel on MOMO hub, MCS Suspension, Hyperco 800F 900R springs, Hotchkis Front and Rear Sway bars, Vorshlag Camber Plates, Turner ARCA, AJ Hartman Front Splitter, BW V2 Wing, BW CF Rear Diffuser, APEX ARC-8 wheels, Brembo BBK Front, Carbon Fiber Roof, CF Headlight Blanks, Door Windows and Cards Delete, TMS rear and front subframe reinforcement, Zionsville Competition Cooler, BW Oil Cooler, Oil Diverter Valve, Motorsports Thermostat, Evolve CF Intake, Epic Stepped Headers, Turner Pulleys, BW 3.5" Race Exhaust, EPIC Alpha N Tune, Beisan Oil Disk and Vanos Seals, ZF 5MT, CAE Ultra Shifter

My track journal: http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=509148
Jump to top ThunderMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Mar-14-2018, 04:42:09 PM   #5
mrRed

In the garage:

United States

Over on rennlist a bunch of people are offloading their AIM solo DL for decent prices as the new unit is coming out soon. Old one is really good and the new doesn't offer that many make or break advances.
Jump to top mrRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Mar-14-2018, 04:46:04 PM   #6
Kwakjoe

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderMoose View Post
I think AIM solo DL with smartycam is best setup. It's a bit costly but the data and ease of data/video integration makes it worth it. So for the cost of 2 sets of Nittos you'll have a lifetime of quality data.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah to my understanding the DL is definitely worth the extra bucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrRed View Post
Over on rennlist a bunch of people are offloading their AIM solo DL for decent prices as the new unit is coming out soon. Old one is really good and the new doesn't offer that many make or break advances.
The big problem is that I only have macs. The new DL that's going to come out in a couple weeks is compatible. What's selling me on the new one is that you can access the info on your iPhone which is what I use primarily along with my mac at work.
Old Wed, Mar-14-2018, 06:41:21 PM   #7
Monterey///M3

United States

I use the racecapture pro 3. You can send all the info onto either your iPhone or a tablet using Bluetooth or wifi. It connects to the car via CAN so it gives you info on the car as well as timing.
Jump to top Monterey///M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Mar-14-2018, 11:23:21 PM   #8
Sirenty

United States

I just picked up a VBox HD2 and used it at VIR a couple weeks ago. I debated between it and the Solo DL all winter, but the ease of data and video integration plus dual cameras won me over. Get off the track after the session, remove SD card, stick in laptop, instant overlayed video along with data. No having to wait until I get home or having to try to synch it myself. I can also look at a point on a graph and have it sync instantly to that point in the video, and vice versa. Or directly compare two laps side by side with video and data.

Yes, itís stupid expensive but the ease of use is worth it.
Jump to top Sirenty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Mar-14-2018, 11:43:03 PM   #9
Kwakjoe

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirenty View Post
I just picked up a VBox HD2 and used it at VIR a couple weeks ago. I debated between it and the Solo DL all winter, but the ease of data and video integration plus dual cameras won me over. Get off the track after the session, remove SD card, stick in laptop, instant overlayed video along with data. No having to wait until I get home or having to try to synch it myself. I can also look at a point on a graph and have it sync instantly to that point in the video, and vice versa. Or directly compare two laps side by side with video and data.

Yes, itís stupid expensive but the ease of use is worth it.
Jesus Christ that thing is pricey. I can think of so many things to buy instead of that lol. I think my budgets closer to $500~. I can push for $700 for the new 2DL, but $2k+ is just too much.
Old Thu, Mar-15-2018, 03:10:41 PM   #10
DanAvoN7

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinnit View Post
Phone-based timers are not accurate. I used to use Harry's Lap Timer and augmented it with an external bluetooth GPS unit that had a much higher refresh rate than what phones have. It was a little better, but still nowhere near as good as a dedicated lap timer.
I had a totally different experience with Harry's Lap Timer and in my use it was very accurate for overall lap time. Using it with the iphones internal 1hz GPS sensor it was always within .1-.2 seconds of an actual timing transponder for overall lap time. Since the internal 1hz GPS sensor's update rate is slow, the data logged by Harry's Lap Timer was useless for the rest of the track but for the sole purpose of overall lap time it worked well as the software interpolates the start/finish line and can accurately calculate when you will cross even if the sensor is updating before/after the line.

Coupled with an external 5hz GPS sensor it was very accurate. Harry's Lap Timer was always within .01 seconds of an actual timing transponder. Also, due to the higher update rate, the speed data recorded while circling the track became more accurate as the sensor now updates 5 times a second vs 1 of the internal sensor. Here's proof from two separate tracks with the Harry's Lap Timer time displaying at the end of the lap in the upper right and the actual timing transponder sheet at the very end of the video.

Video 1

Video 2

I have since upgraded to an AIM Solo DL. It has a built in 10hz sensor and the data is better for analyzing a full lap but for overall lap time it's the exact same as when I had the cheap iphone app and external sensor If you plan to track a lot and are dedicated to it, the AiM Solo DL is a good tool as it offers a lot of data but the majority of the people I see using it don't look at the data and simply use it as a "lap timer" in which case you could save a ton of money and use Harry's Lap Timer on your phone
Apex ARC-8 w/ Hankook Z214, Apex ARC-8 w/ BFGoodrich R1, MCS 3-way Coilovers, GC Race Camber Plates, PFC BBK, Turner Camber Arms, Turner Sway Bars, Turner Subframe bushings, Turner Solid Diff Bushings, Turner Solid RTAB, Turner Solid Control Arm bushings, Treehouse Racing FCAB, Reinforced Subframe, OS Giken LSD, Rogue Engineering Transmission Mounts, SGT Headers, SGT Section 1, AFE Stage 2 Intake, EPIC Tune, Dinan Exhaust, Bimmerworld Airdam/Splitter/Dive Planes, Bimmerworld V2 Wing, TC Design Roll Cage, Racetech RT4119, Scroth Profi 2 Harness

NORCAL Rod Bearing/Vanos/Valve Adjustment/Inspections Member Feedback
Jump to top DanAvoN7 is offline   Reply With Quote