BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E36 M3 (1992-1999)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E36 M3 (1992-1999) {Euro - S50 B32 321hp @ 7400 rpm} {U.S. - S52 B32 240 hp @ 6000 rpm}
Total Produced: 71,212 - Years Produced: 1992 to 1999

Old Wed, Jan-06-2010, 07:02:56 PM   #61
Anubis
Dr. Awesomesauce

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by ths916m3 View Post
Jeff you have to much time and money on your hands
I wish.

1999 Estoril Blue/Dove Grey M3
Jump to top Anubis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Thu, Jan-07-2010, 04:54:47 AM   #62
mycalzone

United States

smexy!
Jump to top mycalzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Nov-23-2015, 04:27:29 PM   #63
abcurran

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: Just installed my Euro cluster.

Bumping an old, old thread here...and trying to consolidate the information/steps, for what I hope will be a winter project.

I realize it has been several years since this was posted, but any confirmation would be appreciated.

Am I correct to understand that the Euro 3.2 cluster is needed so that 1) the domestic cluster's coding plug to be used, which is unavailable on the 3.0, and that 2) if the Euro 3.0’s gauges were used on the domestic cluster, they would be inoperable (oil temp gauge) or inaccurate (the speedometer)? Why wouldn’t the temp gauge work?

Next, must mileage from the swapped cluster be lower than the domestic cluster? The cluster test overwrites only the mileage from the higher of either the coding pin or cluster. Correct? Or will the cluster display the mileage from the coding pin regardless of the cluster’s mileage? (Trying to find a cluster with mileage lower than my car will be difficult.)

Wiring related with some info found from another thread: http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showt...light=oil+temp. See, post #3.

Run the wire from a 300F/150C 10-180 ohm oil temp sender to pin 13 on the white x16 connector. The White x16 connector is not used on U.S. domestic cars/clusters. Part numbers that may work are 61130005201, 61130008998, 61130005197, or 61130006663. There is a reference in the linked thread to pin 16 on the x16. I assumed thats a typo and should read pin 13?

Some research indicates running the wire from the sender throughout he fuse box. Necessary? Or is it better to run through the firewall directly to the sender?
Jump to top abcurran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, May-05-2016, 05:57:49 PM   #64
Anubis
Dr. Awesomesauce

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by abcurran View Post
Bumping an old, old thread here...and trying to consolidate the information/steps, for what I hope will be a winter project.

I realize it has been several years since this was posted, but any confirmation would be appreciated.

Am I correct to understand that the Euro 3.2 cluster is needed so that 1) the domestic cluster's coding plug to be used, which is unavailable on the 3.0, and that 2) if the Euro 3.0’s gauges were used on the domestic cluster, they would be inoperable (oil temp gauge) or inaccurate (the speedometer)? Why wouldn’t the temp gauge work?

Next, must mileage from the swapped cluster be lower than the domestic cluster? The cluster test overwrites only the mileage from the higher of either the coding pin or cluster. Correct? Or will the cluster display the mileage from the coding pin regardless of the cluster’s mileage? (Trying to find a cluster with mileage lower than my car will be difficult.)

Wiring related with some info found from another thread: http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showt...light=oil+temp. See, post #3.

Run the wire from a 300F/150C 10-180 ohm oil temp sender to pin 13 on the white x16 connector. The White x16 connector is not used on U.S. domestic cars/clusters. Part numbers that may work are 61130005201, 61130008998, 61130005197, or 61130006663. There is a reference in the linked thread to pin 16 on the x16. I assumed thats a typo and should read pin 13?

Some research indicates running the wire from the sender throughout he fuse box. Necessary? Or is it better to run through the firewall directly to the sender?
Sorry for the delayed response here. Did you end up getting this all figured out?

Here are my answers to your questions (it's been a very long time since I did this, so forgive my memory):

- From what you've written, it appears to me that you have a Euro 3.0 cluster and are wanting to use it in a later US car with a coding plug?

- A Euro 3.2 cluster is required to be able to utilize the coding plug swap. Euro 3.0 clusters did not come with coding plugs. If you want to change the mileage on a Euro 3.0 cluster, you need someone with a DIS44 computer, which is pretty much impossible at this point.

- I swapped Euro 3.0 gauges onto the Euro 3.2 cluster, and it works fine. No issues with speedometer accuracy (I've verified both by GPS and by police radar gun that my speedo is very accurate). Swapping Euro 3.0 or 3.2 gauges onto a domestic US cluster rear will likely lead to speedometer accuracy issues, since the Euro clusters run from 10 mph - 170 mph, rather than 0 - 160 mph as the US clusters do. Additionally, the oil temperature gauge will not work - I cannot confirm for certain, but I believe it will try to use the oil temp gauge as the MPG gauge from the US cluster (i.e., it'll sweep back and forth), or it just won't work. The US cluster would need to be reprogrammed to Euro, which you would need a DIS44 computer to do. If you have access to that, you might as well just change the mileage on your 3.0 cluster and be done with it. The temp gauge will not work because the US cluster is not programmed to just magically realize it has an oil temperature wire and gauge transplanted into/onto it. It expects MPG consumption input from the DME, so that's what it outputs to the lower tach gauge. By contrast, the Euro cluster expects input from a 150C/300F 10-180 ohm sender.

- Mileage from the cluster onto which you are swapping the coding plug must be LOWER than the mileage stored in the coding plug (i.e., the mileage from your old, original cluster). You cannot swap to "lower" miles using coding plugs. You can only overwrite the mileage on a coding plug to a higher value. Thus, the target cluster (the cluster onto which you are swapping your original coding plug) must have higher mileage than the original cluster. If you install a different coding plug into the cluster, your odometer tamper dot will illuminate. You can only remove the tamper dot by running the cluster tests as indicated earlier in this thread, which synchronizes the mileage between the coding plug and the cluster, using the higher value between the two (which is why it is critically important that your target cluster have lower miles than your original coding plug). If you are having trouble locating a target cluster with lower miles, you may have to buy one direct from BMW.

- Yes, that was a typo. Thank you for pointing that out - I've edited my post in that thread to correct the pin # - it is pin #13 on connector X16.

- Running the sender through the firewall at the fuse box is the best place to do it because there is already a grommet with a rubber seal at that location to enable wiring through the firewall. It is also conveniently located because it's right under the cluster area. If you have a different firewall pass-through location that you prefer for whatever reason, go for it.

Old Thu, May-05-2016, 07:29:57 PM   #65
M_Parallel
Mr. OEM

Netherlands

Why would a DIS44 computer be impossible to find? Or use SSS Progman or NCS Expert.

'98 S50B32 M3 SMG Cabrio . Alpinweiß III auf Schwarz . 1 of 10 made
Jump to top M_Parallel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, May-05-2016, 08:36:29 PM   #66
Anubis
Dr. Awesomesauce

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Parallel View Post
Why would a DIS44 computer be impossible to find? Or use SSS Progman or NCS Expert.
When I was looking into it back in 2009, I was told by several BMW dealer service departments, along with some independent BMW shops, that they did not have any DIS44 compatible equipment to handle recoding an instrument cluster from US to Euro or to change the milage. Maybe they were misleading me or just didn't want to deal with my request.

Good to know that SSS Progman or NCS Expert could work. I hadn't found those options at the time. If they're widely available and can both recode a cluster from US to Euro and change the mileage without illuminating the tamper dot, that could be a good option.

EDIT: just found this link here, might be helpful to others in the future, as it suggests that you can recode a cluster to use the oil temperature gauge using NCS Expert and an ADS interface. The real issue is being able to find a computer with a real COM port in order to utilize the ADS interface, as ADS does not work over USB (and PCMCIA compatibility is questionable as well)... http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=494413

Last edited by Anubis; Thu, May-05-2016 at 08:45:09 PM.
Old Thu, May-05-2016, 10:38:35 PM   #67
M_Parallel
Mr. OEM

Netherlands

SSS Progman is the coding program after DIS44, which combined diagnostics and coding. No idea why they made two programs of it.

I use DIS57 and never touch Progman, specially for E36 as you can like set temo from C to F and that's about it.

NCS Expert is the factory coding tool and then things get interesting. Now you can code everything, regardless of country settings. Too bad the GM4 is fairly limited, but still some good stuff.

On both my cars, which have rhe factory alarms, I turned on the acoustic acknowledment aka beeps, lol, when arming/disarming, I set one touch down and up on all 5 window switches, I increased the distance the windows drop when opening the door, so it fully clears the seal. On the older 328i I disabled the anti-pinch/trap on the windows.

I use a GT1 yellow head, which connects to the laptop through an ethernet cable, which means any laptop that can run the software is fine, as I don't need one with an RS323 port.

'98 S50B32 M3 SMG Cabrio . Alpinweiß III auf Schwarz . 1 of 10 made
Jump to top M_Parallel is offline   Reply With Quote