BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Wed, Feb-19-2014, 06:21:31 PM   #21
c0rehax
CSL+JDM= PERFECTION

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: Lang Racings CF roof

I'm interested and whenever you guys start pushing some out i'll be ready.
Jump to top c0rehax is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Wed, Feb-19-2014, 06:41:39 PM   #22
Cronenberged

In the garage:

United States

I'll def post pics of the next roof going on my car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Tue, Apr-15-2014, 11:09:43 PM   #23
AndrewLang
Lang Racing Development

United States

We have sold a couple to our current customers locally. Based on their feedback we are fine tuning. I believe one of the key differences that we will be able to offer over others is custom built to specifications. All roofs will be complete carbon fiber with epoxy resin but we have used core in some roofs that wanted extra stiffness. Thst costs a little extra in weight and money. I know other roof manufacturers have claimed 7 to 8 lbs. We think our racing roof will be significantly less than this.

Also, since we wont be selling this through any distributors, the target price is 1250 and the majority of that goes towards paying for epoxy resin and carbon fiber that goes into the part.

We will also be able to use finishing layers of some unique carbon fiber like wasp texture, labyrinth, or things like carbon kevlar hybrids in different color combinations.

Im looking forward to getting the first couple of these done and getting some photos posted soon.

Store | Facebook | Blog
Jump to top AndrewLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Apr-15-2014, 11:26:11 PM   #24
c0rehax
CSL+JDM= PERFECTION

In the garage:

United States

Sounds great looking forward to pictures, any idea cost wise if you were to install?
Jump to top c0rehax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Apr-16-2014, 04:08:33 PM   #25
cafeconleche

United States

I wish there were options for the z4m chassis =( do you intend to make cf parts for other cars as well?
Jump to top cafeconleche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Apr-17-2014, 02:42:57 AM   #26
Cronenberged

In the garage:

United States

Out of respect for Andrew teasing the community I'm holding off on posting the photos of my roof, but no one will be disappointed.

Old Thu, Apr-17-2014, 03:22:14 AM   #27
Brian N
wubalubadubdub

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M3_LETTY View Post
Out of respect for Andrew teasing the community I'm holding off on posting the photos of my roof, but no one will be disappointed.

1x1 or 2x2?

The more CF roofs the merrier. Competition can only make these products better.

-My Journal-
Jump to top Brian N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Apr-18-2014, 05:45:04 PM   #28
Cronenberged

In the garage:

United States

2X2

If fish oils and squatting won't fix it, you might as well be dead.
Old Fri, Apr-18-2014, 05:59:09 PM   #29
MrPedals

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewLang View Post
We have sold a couple to our current customers locally. Based on their feedback we are fine tuning. I believe one of the key differences that we will be able to offer over others is custom built to specifications. All roofs will be complete carbon fiber with epoxy resin but we have used core in some roofs that wanted extra stiffness. Thst costs a little extra in weight and money. I know other roof manufacturers have claimed 7 to 8 lbs. We think our racing roof will be significantly less than this.

Also, since we wont be selling this through any distributors, the target price is 1250 and the majority of that goes towards paying for epoxy resin and carbon fiber that goes into the part.

We will also be able to use finishing layers of some unique carbon fiber like wasp texture, labyrinth, or things like carbon kevlar hybrids in different color combinations.

Im looking forward to getting the first couple of these done and getting some photos posted soon.
I have a steel roof with no sunroof like your old car. The paint on it has sun damage so I'm looking to get this fixed in the near future, hence, I'm willing to invest in other options as well.

I like the idea of a discreet CF roof, and would be interested in a painted-but-significantly lighter roof for a street car. However, I'm not convinced that a solution that would be stiff enough for street would really be that much lighter. What would it be prolly, $3k to replace for maybe 10lbs weight difference? Still, it is tempting. EDIT: $3k out the door, installed, etc.
Jump to top MrPedals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Apr-18-2014, 07:32:00 PM   #30
tmaxx445
Likes to Eat AMGs

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obioban View Post
I'm not saying an e36 roof won't come to exist, but it is in a bit of a tricky place for that now, market wise. As I see it, there's 3 main e36 owner groups:

1) Trackers, for which a riveted on place to fill the sunroof hole is 98% just as good, 1/30th the price

2) people restoring them, who want everything 100% OEM.

3) people who bought them because they were dirt cheap, and now are having trouble with basic running costs/maintenance

... none of which are ideal CF roof candidates.
Not to mention that unlike the e46, the e36s have no real roof panel seam line. This would require a great deal of custom body work to fit and blend into the existing metal body structure. As mentioned a CF sun roof panel can be done relatively easily but the whole roof is a completely different animal.

tmaxx445
2005 M3 Coupe / 6 Speed / Silver Gray Metallic / Black Nappa Leather / Premium / Cold Weather / Bi Xenons / Adjustable Bolsters / Lumbar / MKIV Navigation / Harmon Kardon Hifi / Sirius / Aux In / Bluetooth / Rain Sensor / Home Link / BMW Assist / Alarm / Hard Wired Radar Detector / LED Interior Lights / Carbon Interior Trim / Alcantara Pillars / ZHP Shift Knob / Short Shifter / Custom Tune / StreamLine Intake / IAT Relocation / Dynamic Air Scoops / Fan Delete / SS Headers / AR20 Resonator / Electric Exhaust Bypass Valve / Koni Yellow Adjustables / Eibach Pro Kit Springs / PowerFlex & AKG Poly Bushings / M Track Mode / RedLine Fluids / PFC Z-Rated Street Pads / Staggered OEM CSLs / 275 & 245 595 Evos / 12mm Front Spacer / 10mm Rear Spacer / Orion V2 Angel Eyes / Carbon CSL Splitters / Matched Reflectors / SunTek Carbon 38% Tint
Jump to top tmaxx445 is offline   Reply With Quote