BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Sun, May-28-2017, 02:52:39 AM   #1
Rabidfox

United States

Default Section 1 to header flange tip

Don't use the closed end of a wrench to get the upper passenger side nut threaded...it won't come out

Any tips greatly appreciated. I spent far too long fighting my new sec1 in and had to walk away from it. I can't​ get the thread started without the closed end of a wrench and tape. The open end's angle won't line it up and clearance/frustration prevented doing it by hand. Everything else went fine and quickly...effin bolt lol

Searched around couldn't find anything... seems everything that covers section 1 is tied to header installs and even then it's just "install is reverse of removal"
Jump to top Rabidfox is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Sun, May-28-2017, 03:39:28 PM   #2
Rabidfox

United States

Default Re: Section 1 to header flange tip

taped + prybar = win apparently
Old Sun, May-28-2017, 05:25:45 PM   #3
TheDoogan
Forward Loaded

In the garage:

United States

Good work. Sorry about that :/

I'm going to be diving in to redo the connections between my Sect 1 and header pretty soon as well. I'm a wee bit anxious about it, haha.

Let me ask you:

Is it a fact, then, that when you add a new header and/or Sect 1, the threads won't automatically line up, so you have to drill them out and re-thread them?

Or am I over-thinking this?

I'm just trying to figure out why I'm springing so many leaks. Since my OEM/BMW seal and bolt kit for all connection points (going back to Sect 3) was $280, and since my shop didn't charge anything like that, I'm guessing they simply didn't use quality parts or even think about all of this.

Let me know if you have any tips.... I'm a newbie to all this stuff. I'm a decent mechanic in the realm of "make it work a little longer", but the level of precision needed here is something that leaves me in awe of you guys who dive in and figure it out.

2006 E46 M3, 6MT, Convertible, Black/Black - 72k miles
Active Autowerke Catless Headers, Section 1 High-flow cats & Section 3, Evolve CSL Intake w/Alpha-N tune. Schrick CSL Cam - 60k mile Service II.
Jump to top TheDoogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, May-28-2017, 07:45:33 PM   #4
Rabidfox

United States

No need to drill. Everything should line back up. I'm betting it's just as you suspect...the right parts make all the difference​ on these kinda cars (my first "big" experience with my M but I also have a Mercedes 190 cosworth)

I had to drop section 2 (just the 2 cross braces) and undo the plastic undertray (not all the way just partially) between the headers and center of the car. Got my section 1 lined up and slid on the headers (new gaskets) and a couple bolts in front and rear (gaskets out back too) put the cross braces back up and started buttoning it up. Everything except that one bolt was pretty easy...even that bolt wasn't bad it was just getting it started that sucked.

I used an electric impact, a long wobble extension, e12, 12mm, 13mm, 14mm wrenches, and 15mm socket, some PB blaster, painters tape, pry bar, and rum.

ECS has a section 1 gasket kit for $116 shipped if you just wanna do that portion and save some cash btw
Old Sun, May-28-2017, 09:36:37 PM   #5
TheDoogan
Forward Loaded

In the garage:

United States

Thanks for the list of tools! I'd never heard of a wobble extension, but now that I look it up, I know I've used them (thought the wobble was unintentional - handy).

I'll get on it. Turns out I won't have any time to dive in today ;(

2006 E46 M3, 6MT, Convertible, Black/Black - 72k miles
Active Autowerke Catless Headers, Section 1 High-flow cats & Section 3, Evolve CSL Intake w/Alpha-N tune. Schrick CSL Cam - 60k mile Service II.
Jump to top TheDoogan is offline   Reply With Quote