BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Wed, Dec-09-2009, 10:21:44 PM   #111
C_los

United States

so I drove it on surface streets and on the freeway today.

Under normal driving conditions it seems to run normaly, both in auto and manual.

When under hard acceleration (shifting over 5k rpm) i noticed the long delay in engaging the next gear until the rpm's drop. First i only noticed when shifting from 3-4, but when i went over 5k maybe 5.5k rpm it did between each shift between 2nd and 5th gear.

I'm trying to get a hold of the code the dealer got from when it was in their hands.

Any suggestions?
Jump to top C_los is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Thu, Dec-10-2009, 03:15:11 AM   #112
yaja23
M Addict

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by C_los View Post
so I drove it on surface streets and on the freeway today.

Under normal driving conditions it seems to run normaly, both in auto and manual.

When under hard acceleration (shifting over 5k rpm) i noticed the long delay in engaging the next gear until the rpm's drop. First i only noticed when shifting from 3-4, but when i went over 5k maybe 5.5k rpm it did between each shift between 2nd and 5th gear.

I'm trying to get a hold of the code the dealer got from when it was in their hands.

Any suggestions?
Sounds if it might be the gear position sensor?

Orion V2 Angel Eyes, OEM LED TailLights, Valentine1 Hardwired, OEM ZCP Rims, Turner Subframe Reinforcement Kit, Vorsteiner Double Sided CF Bootlid
Jump to top yaja23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Dec-13-2009, 07:23:23 AM   #113
YoO iTz UsMaN
///M Tres

In the garage:

Pakistan

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaja23 View Post
Sounds if it might be the gear position sensor?
More than likely it is the relay and gear position sensor. I had a similar problem and replaced both these items and it was good to go.

You'll always end up going back to stock exhaust.
Jump to top YoO iTz UsMaN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Dec-16-2009, 08:33:32 AM   #114
inthehouse

Great Thread,

Ive got a odd problem with the smg screen, in the cluster. The screen wont fully illuminate. Its displays half of the shift bars and barely any "numbers". The car runs perfect, but sometimes i cant tell what gear im in.
Any Thoughts?
Ravi
Old Wed, Dec-16-2009, 09:29:33 AM   #115
rdoebel
///M Power

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by inthehouse View Post
Great Thread,

Ive got a odd problem with the smg screen, in the cluster. The screen wont fully illuminate. Its displays half of the shift bars and barely any "numbers". The car runs perfect, but sometimes i cant tell what gear im in.
Any Thoughts?
Ravi
Just the LCD display going bad maybe?

'03 BMW M3///SMG///Carbon Black: Khoalty|Stoptech|Status Gruppe
Jump to top rdoebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Dec-29-2009, 02:44:03 AM   #116
JuanPabloCampos

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by KILO15 View Post
Puedes escribir esto de nuevo pero en español. Asi nos entendemos mejor.
Tan mal está mi inglés? Eso de no practicar es verdad. Lo que me pasó es que la unidad hidráulica se fundió por no tener líquido, debido a que los representantes dicen que la caja y elementos hidráulicos no se revisan por politica de la empresa, los cambian y ahí los cobros excesivos en conjunto con diagnosticos sin precisión (Ver en algunos foros "falla en anillos espirales" en base de la caja que lleva a falta de presión a la caja). En mi caso no revisaron y consecuencia mi problema.
Jump to top JuanPabloCampos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Jan-06-2010, 01:47:47 AM   #117
DrNate

United States

Default Thanks

After finding myself stuck in my garage yesterday morning and having to push myself out I was certainly glad to find this thread. The yellow smg light came on a couple of times over the past month, but was gone the next time I started the car. I assumed it was the hood switch since that had happened one other time, but after sitting in the cold garage for 5 days over holiday I started the car and it was stuck in 1st gear. Panic for only a moment before reviewing my journey to work and realizing that after I got out of the garage I shouldn't have to reverse again. If by chance it was truly stuck in 1st I figured I'd just drive to the dealer and let them deal with it.

It shifted fine and after warming up and then letting sit while at work it seemed fine again. Today it stuck in 5th gear while on the freeway and it stayed there until i slowed and forced it to downshift. I began to phone around to see who could get it looked at right away, but no one could look at until wed. or thursday. When I had a free moment I checked this blog and found endless posts with similar issues, but none exactly the same. I made a list of things to check in order of ease and started with checking fluid levels and replacing the relay switch. If still having issue battery check is next and then drop the $100 for diagnostic investigation. Regardless I'm happy to have a resource to at least check the simple stuff myself and appreciate all the accurate info on here (i.e. part numbers and photos).

If anyone else has experienced the same issues please let me know how it resolved. I'll do the same. Be well!
Jump to top DrNate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Jan-06-2010, 05:01:59 AM   #118
jgriffi1

Default Having the same issues as most of you

Hi guys,

Add me to the list of SMG problem havers. Like others, my car (2002 model, 68K miles) just won't go into some gears, usually 3rd. The number 3 sits there flashing at me and the car is coasting b/c it's not in gear. If you hold the gas pedal down, you get the amber SMG light in the dash. Like most others, the SMG error light is generally off again the next morning. Once I get the error light, the computer skips that gear entirely, e.g. goes from 2 straight to 4.

I've done the relay switch with no luck, so there goes the cheapest fix. I guess the next cheapest is the gear position sensor. Has anyone here done just that and not the sensor with the actuator? The only thing that kind of bugs me about this board is that people get on here with their problems but they generally forget to come back and say what exactly FIXED the problem. One poster said his was fixed by replacing the sensor and actuator, but given the price of the actuator, I'm hoping just the sensor might fix it.

The sensor looks pretty easy to replace. Has anyone here done it on their own? Also, I read somewhere about the new sensor having to be programmed in some way. Can anyone confirm that this is the case? Other sensors on the car (e.g. oil level) are "dumb" sensors and can just be swapped out. If it really does have to be programmed, am I correct that the AutoEnginuity Scan Tool does the job? (If so, is there anyone in the D.C. metro area that has one? The BMW on is $430 bucks!)

DrNate, where are you located? It's freezing here in VA and I'm wondering if this is partially a temperature issue. It seems to happen more when it's really cold, but I can't be sure.
Jump to top jgriffi1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Jan-06-2010, 05:41:58 AM   #119
rnrprof

United States

Hi,
Sorry for chiming in late. I just bought an 02 SMG. When I bought, it would not go into reverse. forward gears in "S" and "A" fine. No fault codes at all. Am going to change salmon relay tomorrow but what is the possibility that it is the gear position switch since all other gears are fine? Also, not when S is shown on the dash, the automatic is apparently selected and when A appears, it is apparently set to sequential as I have to shift. Programming? really don't want dealer downloading and screwing up everything.

THX
Jump to top rnrprof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Jan-06-2010, 01:53:16 PM   #120
DrNate

United States

Default Indy

I'm in Indianapolis and yes it is cold, but then again it sat outside in 15 degree weather all day yesterday and started up fine yesterday evening.

So after my relay swap yesterday evening I was excited to give it a run this morning, but alas, fired it up to find yellow light on and it once again stuck in 1. Is starts no problem once I have the stick in the "0 position, but it says "1" the entire time. Pushed out of the garage and off I went, but this time it wouldn't shift into 2nd in S mode. After 5 minutes of trying to decide whether to drive to work (1 mi. away) or the dealer (3 miles) at a blistering pace in 1st gear, something made me try it in A mode and sure enough it shifted like normal after that, but still wouldn't go into neutral or R. Today, for the first time, the numbers blinked the entire time I was driving, but shifted fine in A mode.

At one point I came to one stop light and while sitting there (number still blinking) it began to "ding" at me as it does when you've opened the door and the left it in gear (which made me wonder about the door sensor and the SMG transmission link). While dinging the display read a blinking 0 and so I shifted to neutral and then to reverse and both engaged properly, but in forward gears they still blinked. S mode now worked again though. I made my first stop and turned the car off. Returned 5 minutes later to no light, but all gear numbers now blinking and still "dinging" when at a stop light for more than 30 seconds (makes me question batter and alternator). My next stop is to have both of those checked this morning before I break down and phone the dealer and make an appointment.
Jump to top DrNate is offline   Reply With Quote