BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > Member Photos and Videos
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

Member Photos and Videos Place to post and discuss BMW and other automotive videos and photos.

Old Wed, Aug-31-2016, 04:32:25 PM   #21
M3n00b
2012 M3F Formula 1 Game Champion!

In the garage:

North Korea

Default Re: BearDeXPS's Garage Reno

Your before pic looks like mine does now. Can't wait to see what you end up with.
Old Wed, Aug-31-2016, 05:07:25 PM   #22
BMWjunkie11
That guy

In the garage:

United States

Are you doing all the tape work yourself? That saves a lot of money if you know how to do it. I can't wait to see how it comes out, I'm always looking for ideas for my future garage.

2002 Jet Black/Grey ///M3

Full Supersprint Race Exhaust l PSDesigns Velocity Stack Kit l TMS Pulleys l TTFS Custom Alpha-N Tune l Work Brombachers

"Bags are for dead hookers"

Jump to top BMWjunkie11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Aug-31-2016, 08:04:48 PM   #23
Hacksaw
What broke now?

In the garage:

United States

Bud this is looking to be shaping up for some nice digs!

Those lights!!! Awesome idea. Where did you find them?

The only thing I can recommend is adding a storage shelf over the space that will exist when the garage door is rolled up. There is a significant amount there that can be added if you hang off the roof structure. Then its just a simple hanging shelf for all the xmas and other supplies. I still have not done that in my garage but it's coming soon if I can ever stop buying tools and equipment.

On the compressor side, if you can swing it, try as much as possible to run 220, but if you can't and or you do not see yourself running it a lot a 110v can do the job.

Its looking great though and some good progress on the repairs to the house structure. Doing it right!
Imola Red|Blk Cloth|6MT|FS CSL Custom TUNE -MSS54HP|CSL Replica Airbox|Euro Headers|BimmerWorld 3.5" race front Y and resonator|Hacksaw's custom 3.5" SS exhaust system w/Magnaflow and 4 tipped goodness|SGT RS-ENR Coilover Kit|Evo Sport Performance Pulley Set|CDV Delete|UUC USS & DSSR|Sparco Roadster Seats|StopTech ST-40 BBKs on all 4|Beisan Systems vanos rebuild w/original stock exhaust hub|Kirk 4 point roll bar|CF CSL Rep Trunk|GC Race F/R Sway Bars|TR Motorsports MT-1|Avin Avant 2|Seibon CF GTR Hood

Jump to top Hacksaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Aug-31-2016, 09:44:39 PM   #24
BearDeXPS

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3n00b View Post
Your before pic looks like mine does now. Can't wait to see what you end up with.
stay tuned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWjunkie11 View Post
Are you doing all the tape work yourself? That saves a lot of money if you know how to do it. I can't wait to see how it comes out, I'm always looking for ideas for my future garage.
No I'm not doing the tape work myself - I'm in the construction industry so I have cheap labor... and I appreciate the "art" of finishing drywall. It's something I'm terrible at and have no issue admitting lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hacksaw View Post
Bud this is looking to be shaping up for some nice digs!

Those lights!!! Awesome idea. Where did you find them?

The only thing I can recommend is adding a storage shelf over the space that will exist when the garage door is rolled up. There is a significant amount there that can be added if you hang off the roof structure. Then its just a simple hanging shelf for all the xmas and other supplies. I still have not done that in my garage but it's coming soon if I can ever stop buying tools and equipment.

On the compressor side, if you can swing it, try as much as possible to run 220, but if you can't and or you do not see yourself running it a lot a 110v can do the job.

Its looking great though and some good progress on the repairs to the house structure. Doing it right!
Thanks for chiming in man!!

I initially found the lights doing a google search for options and it linked me to an eBay ad. Further investigation proved it to be a true US based brick and motor - Peterson Parts. Below in the add is what made me feel good about the purchase... but I decided to pick up the phone and call direct with all my questions. The owner picked up the phone and discussed in depth any and all concerns I had... he even talked me out of a more expensive set of fixtures I was looking into and convinced me to go with the ones I eventually purchased... I paid him directly over the phone and they were delivered to my door within 3 business days... they're not installed yet but the transaction and customer service so far has been top notch

More storage is in the back of my mind. I thought about suspended storage system either above the garage door or along the back wall. With the vertical track extensions I added to my OH door it's going to limit the space a fair bit at this location. I've also added the attic ladder and I'm laying down more plywood (along with lighting) in the attic space above the garage so I'm gaining a whole lot of space... something we desperately need here in Texas since we don't have basements

With the additional dead load I'm going to be putting on the joists from the attic storage I'm a bit concerned I might overload the structure as is... let alone adding even more suspended storage. I'll eventually run the stick frame structural calculations and see if it's a good idea or not. Either way that's a great suggestion!

Everyone suggesting I add at-least one 220 is starting to make me think I screwed up. I'm not 100% positive my secondary panel can support it; I simply haven't checked yet. Regardless I used up my last breaker punch out to run the attic lighting, 2ea ceiling outlets for the future wall fans, and the new wall outlets. So if i need to add this one day I know for sure I'll have to install a whole new panel... which will cost $$$

There's a whole lot of 120 compressor options out there... when I finally get the funds to purchase one I'll like get a 20gal+, belt drive, oil lubricated... 120volt. This IR options fits that bill and shouldn't require any additional electrical upgrades:

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...ontent=1592073

'05 BMW ///M3 JB/Blk My Journal
Dinan | Rogue Engineering | Status Gruppe Tuning | H&R | Koni | 3M | Umnitza | Turner Motorsport | TeKarbon | Coby | aFe | Bimmerworld | Schroth
Lang Racing Stg. 2 | SuperTech | ARP | Radium Engineering | Aeromotive | Dimple | Brembo | Racing Brake | Motul | Mishimoto | Redish | C&R
EVOsport | Michelin | Beisan | Macht Schnell | Lamin-X | AKG | BSW | Eurosport Design | Mason Engineering | Vibra-Tech | evolve-R
Jump to top BearDeXPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Sep-05-2016, 10:45:38 PM   #25
admranger
Registered troublemaker

United States

I was going to compliment you on your taping work. Please compliment the hired help instead.

IR compressor looks the part. Thank goodness you're going for an oiled, belt driven unit. Oil-less ones will make you deaf (yes, I have one of the loud ones and hate it... )

Keep up the good work!

'11 E90 M3, Melbourne/Black/Fox Red/Black, 6MT, roof, PP2, heated seats, Eibach Pro Kit, GC Street camber plates, Arc-8's, Technic harness, JL XD 600/6
'16 X5 40e Mineral White/Black Dakota Leather, ZLL, ZCW, ZDA, ZDB, ZPP, side shades, multi contour seats, HK stereo
Jump to top admranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Sep-06-2016, 05:10:07 PM   #26
BearDeXPS

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by admranger View Post
I was going to compliment you on your taping work. Please compliment the hired help instead.

IR compressor looks the part. Thank goodness you're going for an oiled, belt driven unit. Oil-less ones will make you deaf (yes, I have one of the loud ones and hate it... )

Keep up the good work!
I'll certainly compliment them

Got the 2nd layer of mud down, sanded, textured and painted 2 coats. Also stained and poly'd the new man door and attic ladder panel (surprisingly this was a nice piece of wood and I'd feel bad about painting over it). Sanded down the poly and added a 2nd coat. Also repainted the front doors to match the upcoming overhead door... we went with a chocolate from the manf std color choices... should give some "interest" to the curb appeal of the house

After we painted, this project has kinda turned into a bit of a headache. As with most thing when trying to reno a space in an older house... you run into unforeseen conditions. I knew there was water damage previously (why much of the drywall ceiling was removed) as well as the water intrusion issue I noted above... with it being ridiculously humid outside it's not helping my situation.

I started noticing some horizontal butt joint cracking in the old drywall. This isn't too big of a deal... just rub in some elastomeric caulk and chalk it up as a yearly maintenance thing... the proper thing would be to add some behind wall blocking in these locations to keep the joint from flexing but the effort really isn't worth it in my opinion as most locations will be hidden via storage anyways. We did add blocking where we butted the new drywall to the old and so far this hasn't been an issue in these locations.

Going back to moisture... this is where my headache is happening. There's a handful of locations where the texture/paint is completely lifting/bubbling off the drywall now these locations, so far, appear to be located at the water intrusion area, masonry vents and overhead door (all locations where there's a transfer of interior/exterior air. You have to start scrapping these failing spots until the finish isn't freely coming off anymore...

These spots grow like cancer

The hopeful solutions is to prime these areas with an oil based primer (this should provide a moisture barrier and promote better adhesion), 2day cure, float it out completely, sand, re-texture, and paint once again.

IMO - small bubbles; no troubles. Either this solutions or the next; the space is coming together and I'm getting really excited about finally get a proper garage. This issue may hre just force me to hold off on epoxying the floor... or I may end up just staining it for now - it's much cheaper, we'll see. I ordered most of the storage cabinets and workbench over the weekend with the Labor Day sales... all will be available for pick-up by the 22nd.

I decided against going with the Gladiator workbench and outlet... after reading reviews the outlet is designed with the power cord exiting out the back... this wouldn't allow me to butt the bench up flat against the wall... I knew this would drive me mental. So in the end I went with the Craftsman bench... has the same specs as the Gladiator but will will match the rest of the brand selection

Dinan | Rogue Engineering | Status Gruppe Tuning | H&R | Koni | 3M | Umnitza | Turner Motorsport | TeKarbon | Coby | aFe | Bimmerworld | Schroth
Lang Racing Stg. 2 | SuperTech | ARP | Radium Engineering | Aeromotive | Dimple | Brembo | Racing Brake | Motul | Mishimoto | Redish | C&R
EVOsport | Michelin | Beisan | Macht Schnell | Lamin-X | AKG | BSW | Eurosport Design | Mason Engineering | Vibra-Tech | evolve-R

Last edited by BearDeXPS; Tue, Sep-06-2016 at 05:14:37 PM.
Old Mon, Sep-12-2016, 06:58:46 PM   #27
BearDeXPS

In the garage:

United States

At this time it appears all the bubbling/cracking has stopped. So we went fwd with oil priming the rest of the scrapped spots and floated the walls back out. Need to sand, re-texture and paint. Fingers crossed this works - I want my garage back

On a positive note I wrapped up installing the Peterson LED ceiling lights and WOW - I'm really happy with now they came out! We'll see how it looks when everything gets added back in there and I get to working under the hood... but at this time I'm really impressed and happy with my purchase!

Also wrapped up the attic lighting and switch... this is going to make things much nicer to access to storage storage space. Eventually I'll replace all the plywood flooring up there and sister the joists... but for now this will have to do

Old Tue, Sep-13-2016, 07:15:42 AM   #28
Rontgen

United States

Looking good! That looks like a ton of light from those fixtures. Is that a single or double strip is each location? Approximate cost?

Which Craftsman bench did you go with?

2001 M5
Jet Black / Black
Jump to top Rontgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Sep-13-2016, 07:31:37 AM   #29
British-mark

In the garage:

United States

looking great! just needs the M3 in there.
Mint! 37k Miles / TPI lug nuts / Macht Schnell studs / Tein Springs / Koni Shocks / ECS CSL brake upgrade / RE El Diablo / CSL Diffuser / Storm Gear surround / AFE charge pipe / AFE air scoops / Macht Schnell spacers / Extended paddle shifters / Depo tinted sides / Black out grills
Jump to top British-mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Sep-13-2016, 03:39:12 PM   #30
BearDeXPS

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rontgen View Post
Looking good! That looks like a ton of light from those fixtures. Is that a single or double strip is each location? Approximate cost?

Which Craftsman bench did you go with?
I need to get some night pics... it's impressive. It's the double strip/non-frosted lens. All 4ea fixtures were shipped to my door for under $175.

The lights are really unassuming - they're only 1.5inch wide and less then 1inch tall... really REALLY sleek.

Went with the Craftsman Premium Heavy-Duty 8-Ft. Workbench with Butcher Block Top

Quote:
Originally Posted by British-mark View Post
looking great! just needs the M3 in there.
thanks don't remind me

my a/c went out on me over the weekend... came home form work last night wanting to dive into troubleshooting and was greeted with the reminder that the ///M is away in storage