BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > Misc > Off Topic
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

Off Topic Place to discuss this and that. Note: We also have "request to join" forums: Guns and Fitness.
(Threads/posts inside may contain material that is NSFW / offensive)

Old Thu, Sep-11-2014, 06:30:34 PM   #21
Rontgen

United States

Default Re: Life Changes - Military

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjpatte View Post
The old adage "Choose your rate, choose your fate" is true, the job you pick will directly impact your experience.

Absolutely. And the score you make on the ASVAB is what will open and close doors for you career wise. I'd recommend you study, take prep tests, whatever you need to do to earn the highest score possible. The results of this one test could very conceivably affect the rest of your life.

I work with a guy who was a Nuclear Electronics Tech on a sub in the Navy and now earns an easy six-figure salary. I also know a guy who went into the Navy as some open classification and ended up spending 4 years working at the convenience store on a carrier. When he got out, he couldn't even get hired at 7-Eleven. Career choice is crucial.

Good Luck!

2001 M5
Jet Black / Black
Jump to top Rontgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Thu, Sep-11-2014, 06:39:46 PM   #22
tjpatte

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rontgen View Post
Absolutely. And the score you make on the ASVAB is what will open and close doors for you career wise. I'd recommend you study, take prep tests, whatever you need to do to earn the highest score possible. The results of this one test could very conceivably affect the rest of your life.

I work with a guy who was a Nuclear Electronics Tech on a sub in the Navy and now earns an easy six-figure salary. I also know a guy who went into the Navy as some open classification and ended up spending 4 years working at the convenience store on a carrier. When he got out, he couldn't even get hired at 7-Eleven. Career choice is crucial.

Good Luck!
^

Very good advice!

Depending on your score, you may be eligble for the Nuclear field which had it's own test for final acceptance. The pay is pretty good, but those guys work thier a$$ off underway and in-port!
Old Thu, Sep-11-2014, 06:40:09 PM   #23
Kong Sheng Han
Banned

In the garage:

North Korea

Navy corpsman is what I would go for.
Jump to top Kong Sheng Han is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Sep-11-2014, 06:49:46 PM   #24
nitteo
my starfish is better than yours

France

^ green or blue
Old Thu, Sep-11-2014, 07:02:48 PM   #25
M3Dom

In the garage:

United States

Deff be a boat boy on a mega Yachet.

https://www.instagram.com/d_sicily/

Porshapwr:I thought every day was steak and BJ day?
Ghost : "She'll prolly suck your balls so hard they'll hatch"
Ben Z.;The Ultimate Driving Simulation Machine
LALaw :OP has been surprised by everything that's happened since the 13th Amendment
Cars : some verts some bikes and a 2012 veyron

Jump to top M3Dom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Sep-11-2014, 07:12:31 PM   #26
M3_POWER
I love lamp...

United States

7 years in the Navy and counting. Currently on a staff tour out in the middle east. I hate the fact that I'm not flying, but rather flying a desk. I don't know what your aspirations are for joining, so it's a bit hard what topics to focus on.

I'm on the officer side, so I will try to give you perspective of the Navy, officer, and the enlisted side of the house.

Before you sign on the dotted line, you must ask yourself some questions: Are you looking for an adventure? A position to lead? Do you care about quality of life?

If you want to travel, the Navy is where it's at. I've been to about 25 countries: Germany, Scotland, Spain, Italy, UK, Greece, Australia, Singapore, Japan, UAE, Thailand to name a few.

I was on a Destroyer for two months as a liaison for my squadron during an exercise. My plane does not fly off a carrier, so I can only only speak to colleagues and friends who've been assigned on one. One thing I do know, you will work your ASS off on the boat. Guys right now are on 9-11 month deployments on the boat.

The Navy provides great leadership opportunities, for both enlisted and officers. My dad was surprised when I told him the leadership roles E-6s played in the Navy. My pops, who served 22 years in the Air Force as an E-8, admitted the E-6s I mentioned had more of a leadership role than him. Again, I'm basing this off my experience, so your mileage may vary.

If you care about quality of life, and more of a corporate type setting, join the Air Force.

I love the Navy's great heritage, rich history, and traditions (though that is starting to fade).

I can't really speak for the Marine and Army side of the house. Lastly, I would try to go officer if you can.

Lastly, as other's have previously mentioned, try to find a career that would directly transition to the civilian world: ATC, intel, anything nuclear, logistics, or anything involving acquisitions.

2005 CB|six speed|sunroof delete|Karbonius CSL airbox|Stop Tech BBK|Schrick 280/272 Cams w/ DLC rockers|Sparco Evo II seats|Mason front/rear strut brace|Swain Tech coated SS V1 Stepped headers|SS V1 section one w/ Vibrant resonators|SS resonated X-pipe|SS race muffler|Custom Rogue Octane SSK|Enkei RS05RR|Mishimoto Radiator/electric fan|TCK DA front/SA rear 550/600

Last edited by M3_POWER; Thu, Sep-11-2014 at 07:28:11 PM.
Jump to top M3_POWER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Sep-11-2014, 07:52:03 PM   #27
Frank Ricard
You're my boy, Blue!

United States

I am not in the armed forces... but a quick aside (let me apologize ahead of time for any nomenclature I get wrong):

My brother is a captain in the army and just got done commanding his company, in 2 yrs he will go off to majors school. I am in finance. I have friends that work tons of hours and get paid very well for it. My brother works longer hours than any of them. Especially when he was a company commander, it was surreal. I dunno, I find it crazy. I think hes way underpaid. I would never do it.
Jump to top Frank Ricard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Sep-11-2014, 08:08:08 PM   #28
SliM3

In the garage:

United States

There's also the US Coast Guard to consider, if you prefer a smaller branch of service. We used to be part of DOT, but have since switched to Homeland Security; though during wartime can lateral over to the DOD.

P.S. Coast Guard housing is the best of all the services..

///M3 '06 Carbon Black

DEMOCRACY is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
LIBERTY is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.
-Benjamin Franklin

- Checksum corrections for modified DME partial & full bin files

- CSL SMG Engine Parameters (DME) by Slim

- Fuel adaptations explained

- Checksum Verification
Jump to top SliM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Sep-11-2014, 08:21:31 PM   #29
Smk Qbns

Location: In my humidor where it is 70 degrees and 65% humidity

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisRedmon View Post
Please don't turn this into a branch battle.... Why do you say its a waste of time? I figured serving my initial term, then pursuing a career as an officer would be most beneficial, no?
That is asking a lot!!!!

Five years enlisted counter-intelligence in the Army, loved and hated it at the same time.

That being said, the VA paid for my BA, MA, teaching credential, and will be paying for both of my boy's college. So from that stand point, it was a great investment of my time.

As other's have said, qualifying for - and selecting - the proper career path is vital. Oh, if I had to do it all over again, I would have gone the officer route...and Air Force.

Finding something that you are (or can be) passionate about will make the time spent serving infinitely more enjoyable. You can still expect to have a number of superiors who are idiots - but if you like the work, it is easier to manage.

But the most important lesson to learn is...Go Army, beat Navy!

Amateurs train until they get it right, professionals train until they donít get it wrong.

Last edited by Smk Qbns; Thu, Sep-11-2014 at 08:44:48 PM.
Jump to top Smk Qbns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Sep-11-2014, 08:30:25 PM   #30
spiderz17

In the garage:

United States

Air Force officer checking in here.

Pay/benefits are pretty similar for any of the branches, it's all federally regulated. But as you can tell from reading the responses, the experiences between the various services and between being officer vs enlisted vary greatly. The Air Force is the only service I considered. I didn't like the idea of being stuck on a boat for long periods of time and the Army and Marines were just... not my cup of tea, I suppose.

If you're looking to travel, like M3_Power said, I think the Navy is probably the best branch for that but you will spend long periods of time on a boat or, worse, a sub. For better or worse, the AF is more of a corporate environment, particularly on the officer side. I also feel like the AF does a better job than the other branches of emphasizing education and offering educational opportunities for both officers and enlisted. I have a BS, 2x MS, and a PhD, and didn't pay a dime for any of them. (Although, the old adage goes, "The Academy is a free education shoved up your ass one nickel at a time.") However, in the interest of full disclosure, I did get both of my Masters degrees at the Naval Postgraduate School. Also, in the Navy for the time you do spend in port, the locations are usually pretty good since they're pretty much all near large bodies of water.

Ultimately, as has been previously mentioned, I think the particular career field you choose will determine your happiness. I'm an operations analyst (basically a mathematician) and have thoroughly enjoyed my career whereas my college roommate is a pilot and has had just about enough between the cuts in flying hours, shitty assignments, and constant deployments. If you have any specific careers in mind, I would try to find someone in that career field and have a chat with them. Also keep in mind that recruiters are salesmen interested in filling their quota, so they are liable to blow smoke up your ass. Fact check everything they tell you and, like a used car deal, if it's not in writing it doesn't exist.