BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Thu, Jan-10-2019, 07:23:33 PM   #1
TramRam
TramRam

In the garage:

United States

Default Anybody Have VAC's High Perf. Oil Pump?

I had a spun conn rod bearing and am going with Lang's lower end upgrade. In conversation came thoughts of possible damage to my oil pump. In checking around for rebuilders, I found that VAC Mtrspts offers an high performance upgrade to our existing pumps for which they claim an appx. 22% flow increase over stock for less than a new stock pump if you send them your used unit. It sounds good to me...any thoughts/experience to turn me around on considering this?
Register now and remove these ads
Old Thu, Jan-10-2019, 07:33:44 PM   #2
///M3 MD

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: Anybody Have VAC's High Perf. Oil Pump?

I replaced my pump with the high performance VAC unit when I did my bearings. There was some scoring on the internals of the pump so figured better safe than sorry.

This was recommended by Matt Coyne (who did the job, see Coyne Performance) and when he did my engine rebuild said that the oil pressures were great even with the conventional oil used for break-in (which one would expect with an upgraded pump).

Long story short, I have no regrets [yet] and donít see much downside other than the price tag (keep in mind the core refund might be less than you expect).

Thereís mixed reviews on VAC out there and I know some people personally who have had poor experience with them and their parts, so thereís that. But Iím happy with my upgrade and donít see much downside.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2002 Carbon Black/Black 6MT ///M3
Mods: (Mike Miller Maintenance schedule) - Euro Headers - Resonated Section 1 - Dinan Section 3
TTFS Custom Tune
Autosolutions 30% SSK - RE Poly Trans mounts - AKG Poly diff bushings, RTABs and FCABs
Dinan 'Stage 1' Suspension

Jump to top ///M3 MD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Jan-10-2019, 07:51:26 PM   #3

In the garage:

United States

VAC claims a 22% increase in volume I'm not sure that directly correlates with oil flow. Price difference is pretty negligible and with the horror stories/reliability of VAC, I chose to stick with a new OE pump considering its proven to be more than sufficient for 99.9% of us. If you're having your motor spec'd by Lang then go with whatever he recommends.

Engine: Karbonius CSL airbox, Lang Racing stage 2.5 head, Schrick 288/280 cams & followers, Lang Racing rod journal widening kit w/ CP 12:1 87.5mm pistons & Carrillo rods, Kassel CSL DME & MAP conversion, Paul Claude tune, TMS Power Pulleys, SS V1 stepped headers & catless section 1, SS 2.5Ē twin-piped resonated section 2, SGT scza section 3.
Drivetrain: Clutch Masters FX725, Clutch Masters Hydraulic TB, RTD V2 mini shifter, RE trans mounts, Motorsport 4.10 R&P, Revshift 80A diff bushings.
Suspension/Brakes: Bilstein PSS9's, RE RSM's, UUC sway bars, ZCP rotors, BW solid caliper guide bushings, PFC 08's, Motorsport Hardware 75mm stud kit.
Interior: Cobra Nogaro seats, BMW Performance shift knob/e-brake/pedals, OE alcantara boots, mason clutch pedal, Xtrons 9" headunit w/ carplay

IG: Zach_e46M
Jump to top . is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Jan-10-2019, 07:52:08 PM   #4
TramRam
TramRam

In the garage:

United States

Good to know about your experience! Brian told me that they oversize one side of the twin chamber pump and put a larger wheel in there with the new shaft and reuse the other gear if it's in good shape. He did say that they check the pres. relief spring's resting height and if it meets spec, the clean everything up put it back together and ship it! I asked if they bench test it...he said they've done so many that simply by knowing the performance of the gears they put in there, they know the flow numbers that they will hit. I guess I'm good with that. Thanks again for your reply. Be well!
Old Thu, Jan-10-2019, 08:11:56 PM   #5
WALKD_U

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by TramRam View Post
Good to know about your experience! Brian told me that they oversize one side of the twin chamber pump and put a larger wheel in there with the new shaft and reuse the other gear if it's in good shape. He did say that they check the pres. relief spring's resting height and if it meets spec, the clean everything up put it back together and ship it! I asked if they bench test it...he said they've done so many that simply by knowing the performance of the gears they put in there, they know the flow numbers that they will hit. I guess I'm good with that. Thanks again for your reply. Be well!
These are signs to stay away... Too lazy to check a component that will be vital for your engine build. What happen when your engine lock up due to no oil pressure? I have a feeling they will say its your fault and deal with it....
940whp/765wtq SAE Corrected

1996 BLU/BLK M3
NA Bolt-ons
235whp/225wtq SAE Corrected

Instagram:
M3HNGRY

EURO.techniks
<a href=https://www.instagram.com/m3hngry/ target=_blank>M3HNGRY</a>
Jump to top WALKD_U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Jan-10-2019, 08:27:03 PM   #6
TramRam
TramRam

In the garage:

United States

I read you Zack...I wonder how anyone half-assed could yuk up a pump rebuild like this in that it's really a simple positive pressure pump. Mine is in excellent shape with barely noticeable scores in the housing where the gears spin against (with oil present). I DID find a small strip if conn. rod bearing inside there though.

M3 MD: Did you flush your oil filter housing out and replace your oil cooler while you were in there? I'm looking to do those on mine. There are those who recommend replacing the cooler so I'm leaning that way.

Funny that Andrew won't recommend an oil weight other than 10w60 but I am SURE that that is ass protecting. From all I have read, 10w60 was the Band-aid for the improperly sided rod bearing and the clearance there which all goes away with his lower kit.

Thanks for t he chat guys
Old Thu, Jan-10-2019, 08:37:32 PM   #7
///M3 MD

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by TramRam View Post
I read you Zack...I wonder how anyone half-assed could yuk up a pump rebuild like this in that it's really a simple positive pressure pump. Mine is in excellent shape with barely noticeable scores in the housing where the gears spin against (with oil present). I DID find a small strip if conn. rod bearing inside there though.

M3 MD: Did you flush your oil filter housing out and replace your oil cooler while you were in there? I'm looking to do those on mine. There are those who recommend replacing the cooler so I'm leaning that way.

Funny that Andrew won't recommend an oil weight other than 10w60 but I am SURE that that is ass protecting. From all I have read, 10w60 was the Band-aid for the improperly sided rod bearing and the clearance there which all goes away with his lower kit.

Thanks for t he chat guys

Reused the same oil cooler given no signs of fatigue and running good temps otherwise.

Figured this would insight some animosity towards VAC but to be honest their customer service seemed great to me granted I havenít had issues *knock on wood*. Also like you said this is a basic positive pressure pump seems relatively hard to botch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2002 Carbon Black/Black 6MT ///M3
Mods: (Mike Miller Maintenance schedule) - Euro Headers - Resonated Section 1 - Dinan Section 3
TTFS Custom Tune
Autosolutions 30% SSK - RE Poly Trans mounts - AKG Poly diff bushings, RTABs and FCABs
Dinan 'Stage 1' Suspension

Jump to top ///M3 MD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Jan-10-2019, 08:50:11 PM   #8
pbonsalb

Is the sprocket shaft upgraded or is that not an occasional issue on the S54 like it is on the S52.
Jump to top pbonsalb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Jan-11-2019, 01:03:26 AM   #9
digger

United States

I woukd just use stock, there isnt really evidence that you need a bigger volume pump
Old Fri, Jan-11-2019, 01:09:36 AM   #10
TramRam
TramRam

In the garage:

United States

Yes, new sprocket and hardened shaft drilled for safety wiring to the nut.