BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E36 M3 (1992-1999)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E36 M3 (1992-1999) {Euro - S50 B32 321hp @ 7400 rpm} {U.S. - S52 B32 240 hp @ 6000 rpm}
Total Produced: 71,212 - Years Produced: 1992 to 1999

Old Mon, Jan-07-2019, 02:32:02 PM   #11
Mless5

United States

Default Re: Danny's Techno Violet Sedan

Welcome to the club! Used to see your name around in my e39 days. Very nice pick up! Just get rid of few things PO "added" - you know what they are (includes small upper radiator connector hose).
Jump to top Mless5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Mon, Jan-07-2019, 02:42:22 PM   #12
W///

In the garage:

Thailand

Glad to see the car being rescued. That's pretty brave driving the car with potentially sketchy history that far but glad you made it!

Car has plenty of potential!

Jump to top W/// is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Jan-07-2019, 03:18:38 PM   #13
justin.c

United States

That color is really nice! Good luck with it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Jump to top justin.c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Jan-07-2019, 03:29:11 PM   #14
dannyzabolotny

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mless5 View Post
Welcome to the club! Used to see your name around in my e39 days. Very nice pick up! Just get rid of few things PO "added" - you know what they are (includes small upper radiator connector hose).
Thanks! Yeah, I'm all over the BMW world— E39's, E53's, E34's, BMW-engined Range Rovers, etc.

I'm putting together a whole cooling system refresh at FCP Euro so that'll all get taken care of in one go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
Glad to see the car being rescued. That's pretty brave driving the car with potentially sketchy history that far but glad you made it!

Car has plenty of potential!
It's not the first time I've flown out to buy a car sight unseen, but certainly the furthest I've gone. I felt pretty confident since the car had spent most of its life in Texas and looked like it had been cared for at some point. Most of the stuff under the hood is still nice and stock, aside from the questionable "cold air" intake.

I also was driving the car back with my good friend Graham who is an expert on E36's and Z3's, along with 50lbs of tools in my suitcase, along with a code reader, jump starter, and multimeter. I think us being so over-prepared is why the car did so well. We were pretty much ready to tackle any repair it might have needed, if it came down to it.

One thing I did forget to mention in my road trip story is that while we were at a friend's house in Missouri, we checked the coolant level the next morning and found it to be massively overfilled, which could have definitely been a disaster if the cooling system over-pressurized. We removed all the extra coolant with my friend's extraction pump, so now it's at the proper level and not putting any extra stress on the cooling system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin.c View Post
That color is really nice! Good luck with it.
Thanks! I'm really digging the color, I love finding cool color combos like this. My last daily driver was a 2000 BMW 540it wagon in Japan Rot (similar to Hellrot) which was super uncommon and cool as well.

I had always wanted a Techno Violet E36 M3, but I only saw them in coupe form which I didn't want. Plus a lot of the Techno Violet M3's kept having higher asking prices like a lot of the other desirable/rare colors (like Hellrot and Dakar), so when I saw this one for a very reasonable $3800, I just had to get it!
Jump to top dannyzabolotny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Jan-08-2019, 03:40:29 AM   #15
cblock

In the garage:

United States

Default Danny's Techno Violet Sedan

I have a thread on it if you search my user name, I’ve kind of stalled out on it lately as I’ve been busy with other cars but still have it and still have grandiose plans for it lol

Look forward to seeing more updates!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jump to top cblock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Jan-08-2019, 06:42:00 AM   #16
dannyzabolotny

United States

I took it through emissions today and it passed with no problems, awesome!

Later in the day, I threw it up on the lift at work. I forgot to take underbody pictures but aside from the tiniest bit of corrosion on the exhaust, it was completely rust-free! Not bad for a car that spent some time in Wisconsin. It was pretty dry underneath the engine too, which was a pleasant surprise compared to the leaky messes I usually buy.

Less good were the rear tires, with the rear left being at the wear bars and the rear right being at the cords, yikes! I'm glad I didn't have a blowout on the long drive home from Wisconsin. That does mean I need new tires pretty soon...

After that, I replaced the awful knockoff headlights with much nicer Depo units. The old units didn't sit right at all, couldn't be adjusted very much, and had absolutely dreadful light output. My E36-loving friend (and coworker) helped me with this, especially with the wiring. We used the harness adapter, but it required a bit of trial-and-error since the Depo headlights are seemingly wired at random, with no rhyme or reason. For the price, I'm not complaining at all though!

Before:

After: (hood has lots of rock chips and dirt)

You can see how awful the old knockoff headlights were...

I also installed a turn signal corner on the passenger side to replace the one that had randomly gone missing on the trip home. Huge thanks to my friend for having all these E36 parts just laying around. No more obnoxious fast-blink every time I turn right!

We still need to do some more tweaking on the headlight positioning and aiming, but it's a huge improvement already, even with cheap H1 bulbs. It looks amazing, it's such a nice upgrade.

Old Tue, Jan-08-2019, 03:55:43 PM   #17
blackxs

United States

As a long term E39 guy I am glad you have finally seen the light
Jump to top blackxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Jan-08-2019, 04:29:52 PM   #18
westopher

Canada

Already getting better. Good start. Get some tires on there ASAP!

98 m3, techno/anthrazit cloth, 109k and officially worthless. 2000 323i touring, silver/grey/sport pack, 175k and officially boring.
Member journal. http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=491859
Jump to top westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Jan-09-2019, 12:27:57 AM   #19
M3AN
321 fun...

New Zealand

There seems to be been quite a few sedans pop up recently. Also one of my favourite colours.

Tyres obviously need replacing but be sure to get an alignment too, that wear isn't normal.

And it's odd to see that aux power cable cut, especially since you can still use the headunit... what type of amp is in there now? Perhaps the PO had an active sub connected to a stock amp but that doesn't sound like an ideal setup.

E36 M3 Coupe | S50B32 | 6MT | Estoril Blue | Z3 Rack | Simota Intake | Remus Exhaust | Bilstein B6 | Eibach Pro+ | 18" BBS RC | Goodyear F1 | 3.62 Gear Set (Yet To Be Installed)
Jump to top M3AN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Jan-09-2019, 05:02:15 AM   #20
dannyzabolotny

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3AN View Post
There seems to be been quite a few sedans pop up recently. Also one of my favourite colours.

Tyres obviously need replacing but be sure to get an alignment too, that wear isn't normal.

And it's odd to see that aux power cable cut, especially since you can still use the headunit... what type of amp is in there now? Perhaps the PO had an active sub connected to a stock amp but that doesn't sound like an ideal setup.
Yeah, I plan on replacing the tires + some of the suspension components and then an alignment.

It looks like the stock amp was never removed... the PO just ran an output from the head unit into a separate amp that powered the sub. That's the only explanation that I can think of, since all of the speakers work just fine.

Anyways, based on what I saw on the lift, here's the tentative plan for the suspension:

Front: lower control arm bushings (lollipops), sway bar links, sway bar bushings, inner + outer tie rod

Rear: RTABs and sway bar links

Right now there's a decent shake above 65mph, and it gets particularly bad after 85mph. The steering wheel has a noticeable shake to it after 70mph as well. I attribute that to a combination of bad tires + poor balancing + worn control arm bushings. There's also some clunking from the front and back at times. It's not the worst suspension I've driven, but I want it to be nice and tight.

I'm pretty sure the shocks are tired as well— they look to be original. Eventually those will get replaced by BC coilovers, so that'll take care of the shocks/springs/shock mounts all at once.