BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E36 M3 (1992-1999)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E36 M3 (1992-1999) {Euro - S50 B32 321hp @ 7400 rpm} {U.S. - S52 B32 240 hp @ 6000 rpm}
Total Produced: 71,212 - Years Produced: 1992 to 1999

Old Wed, Jan-02-2019, 02:28:27 AM   #1
dannyzabolotny

United States

Default Danny's Techno Violet Sedan

Hey all,

I've been a lurker on this forum for quite some time now, but now I have a real M3 with my latest purchase. It's a 1997 Techno Violet sedan with a black interior. 204k miles and it's an auto (though it has a 5-speed auto IIRC so I could still call it a 3/4/5 if I wanted to make people mad). Aside from the auto it's close to my perfect spec: techno violet, black leather interior, heated seats, factory spoiler, and DS2's. The auto made it way cheaper than a real 3/4/5, and it doesn't bother me at all since I can easily swap it to a manual at my shop.

I found it on Craigslist in Wisconsin. The seller purchased it in Texas about a year prior, so it's quite clean with good paint and no rust. It hasn't really been driven in snow ever, and the seller has had a bunch of work done to the cooling system, plus new tires and some suspension bushings.

I put a deposit down on it and I'm flying out tomorrow to pick it up with my good friend Graham. The plan is to drive it from Madison, WI to Phoenix, AZ where I live. We have a route planned out and have a few friends we'll be staying with, so it'll be a fun trip.

Some pics from the ad:

Super duper stoked on this. I'll post more pics once the trip is underway, hopefully I can sleep tonight!
Jump to top dannyzabolotny is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Wed, Jan-02-2019, 03:40:21 AM   #2
Ajcanadian

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: Danny's Techno Violet Sedan

Wow that didn't take long, LMAO. How does it feel to be a KEWL KID now
Jump to top Ajcanadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Jan-03-2019, 12:35:11 AM   #3
Drip

United States

Oh I’m soo envious congrats. You’re from xoutpost if I’m not mistaken

Last edited by Drip; Thu, Jan-03-2019 at 12:36:25 AM. Reason: Forgot
Jump to top Drip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Jan-04-2019, 07:04:20 AM   #4
dannyzabolotny

United States

Default Danny's Techno Violet Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajcanadian View Post
Wow that didn't take long, LMAO. How does it feel to be a KEWL KID now

I mean Iíve spent plenty of time in an M3 before, so itís not an entirely new experience. It is nice to have an M3 in the spec that I like though, and Iím excited to fix it up and mod it a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drip View Post
Oh Iím soo envious congrats. Youíre from xoutpost if Iím not mistaken

Yep, Iím everywhere. Xoutpost, Bimmer Forums, M5Board, Range Rover Forum, you name it.

Anyways, to continue the story, Graham and I flew into Madison yesterday. My suitcase was 50.5lbs, just barely allowable before being overweightó I brought a lot of tools and extra clothing! The flight itself was thankfully uneventful, and we arrived on time. What we were really surprised about was how much snow was on the ground. Coming from Phoenix, I forgot that places have snow, haha. I was really happy that I packed my thick winter coat, it was like 24į outside with a decent wind chill.

The seller of the car picked us up at the airport as originally planned, and we headed back to his place to exchange the money and sign over the title. What was a little sketchy was that the M3 had summer tires... no grip anywhere. So we took it real easy when we first started driving it. At the very least I know how to drive in snow, having grown up in NYC.

The first stop we made was at Culverís, naturally. It was excellent, especially after not eating for most of the day. Around this time I snapped a pic of the M3 for the first time in my ownership:

Then we got gas, which was actually super cheap for some reason. Two people asked about the car, wondering if the paint was a factory color. Itís a super cool color, I love it so far.

From there we did a straight shot down to Kansas City, MO. It was about 8 hours of driving and it went by surprisingly quick. Having an aux cable helped a lot, since we were just jamming out to a mix of ska, pop punk, prog metal, old school hip hop, classic rock, and jazz. I took a few pics along the way when we stopped for bathroom breaks and gas. The M3 averaged around 23mpg, not bad for going 80mph constantly.

The headlights are some aftermarket junk and donít line up properly at all, even after fiddling with them extensively. Light output is laughable as well, but no worries since Iíll be throwing some much nicer ZKWís in as soon as I get home.

We arrived at a friendís house Kansas City late that night, ate a quick dinner, and got right to bed. In the morning, we got up and started working on his E53 X5ís M62tu chain guides. Thatís pretty much what weíve been up to today.

Tomorrow weíll be heading out to Denver to stay with a family member. More updates to come!
Old Fri, Jan-04-2019, 05:03:17 PM   #5
spaghettiM3

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyzabolotny View Post

Tomorrow weíll be heading out to Denver to stay with a family member. More updates to come!
If you're able to, you should stop by the Denver Cars and Coffee event in the morning. Always a really good turnout!

There's more info on the FB Colorado Cars and Coffee page.
Old Fri, Jan-04-2019, 05:03:22 PM   #6
Contracheatcode

In the garage:

United States

Congrats on the purchase. I am growing amazing fond of the Techno Violet color.

Keep us posted on the updates to the car and the story.

-Mike
Jump to top Contracheatcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Jan-04-2019, 07:01:00 PM   #7
cblock

In the garage:

United States

Nice pickup and have fun on your trek home. It's always a blast flying out and driving a new car home (assuming it makes it trouble free.)

I also have a Techno/Schwarz m3/5/a. According to this https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...-transmissions
it is 1/27 in that combo and 1/81 total techno/Schwarz sedans period.

Jump to top cblock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Jan-05-2019, 02:58:48 AM   #8
Texaz3

United States

Congrats and welcome!
Jump to top Texaz3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Jan-07-2019, 06:50:25 AM   #9
dannyzabolotny

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaghettiM3 View Post
If you're able to, you should stop by the Denver Cars and Coffee event in the morning. Always a really good turnout!

There's more info on the FB Colorado Cars and Coffee page.
Thanks for the offer, but we had to keep moving since we had to be back in Phoenix by Sunday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contracheatcode View Post
Congrats on the purchase. I am growing amazing fond of the Techno Violet color.

Keep us posted on the updates to the car and the story.

-Mike
Thanks! I've always loved Techno Violet, but I always wanted a 4-door M3, so this was basically the perfect car for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cblock View Post
Nice pickup and have fun on your trek home. It's always a blast flying out and driving a new car home (assuming it makes it trouble free.)

I also have a Techno/Schwarz m3/5/a. According to this https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...-transmissions
it is 1/27 in that combo and 1/81 total techno/Schwarz sedans period.
Uncommon indeed! And awesome that you have the same combo! Do you have a build thread for your car?

It's been trouble-free so far!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texaz3 View Post
Congrats and welcome!
Thank you! I loved your Dakar M3 build thread, your attention to detail with cleaning it was nothing short of amazing. I also follow your Imola E39 M5 thread over on M5Board, excellent work on that as well!
Old Mon, Jan-07-2019, 07:19:10 AM   #10
dannyzabolotny

United States

After we were done in Missouri, we started the next leg of the journey, from Kansas City to Denver. Before we left, we gave the M3 a quick once-over to make sure all the fluids were good, and we found this little gem in the trunk:

That wonderful little fire hazard was a leftover from the previous owner's giant subwoofer box that was in the trunk. For some reason the subwoofer is what he removed, while leaving every other component of the questionably "upgraded" sound system. In any case, that was quickly remedied and we were on our way.

As with the previous drive, it was pleasantly uneventful, and the M3 returned excellent gas mileage even with hills and consistent 80-85 mph driving; a very respectable 27-28 mpg (calculated at the pump). Given that all of my previous cars were V8-powered 5 series, seeing gas mileage in the mid to high 20's was kind of a shock (in a good way!).

I'm completely in love with the color... less in love with all the swirls, haha (those will get buffed out soon enough).

At some point in the drive we stopped in Kansas for lunch and gas, and noticed that the passenger side headlight corner was completely gone... no idea how it happened but oh well. Our current theory is that the car was in a mild front-end accident, hence the poorly installed corners (there's also a coupe corner wedged in on the driver's side) and cheap, improperly installed Chinese headlights. For the price I paid, I don't really care, especially since all of those things are easy fixes once I'm back home. What's really amazing to me is how well the paint matches on the nose panel, bumper, and passenger side fender (the parts that are new).

We eventually arrived in Denver and stayed there with a family member. The next day we hit the road nice and early since we had a real long drive back to Phoenix. While at a rest area somewhere in New Mexico, I snapped a few more picsó finally some well-lit pictures that weren't at a gas station!

This is my favorite picture of the M3 so far:

New Mexico was really picturesque with snow all over the hills and mountains, and I took a few pics while Graham was driving.

By the time we hit Arizona, we were seeing warnings of an upcoming storm, so we kept moving, trying to get back south to Phoenix before we hit the snow. Around Payson it started snowing and the visibility became awful, so we had to slow down just a little bit for safety. Thankfully as soon as we dropped to a lower altitude the snow turned into rain and the rest of the drive home was thankfully uneventful. As a positive side effect, the rain helped to wash away a lot of the salt and road grime that had accumulated from the trip.

We arrived back home around 10pm on Saturday night, safe and sound. In summary, the trip was around 1900 miles and crossed 7 states. We had no plates the whole trip and a missing front turn signal for half the trip, it's honestly a miracle we weren't pulled over or hassled in any way. The cheap Nexen summer tires were certainly not ideal, but we didn't die or encounter any scary situations, so we certainly lucked out there.

Tomorrow I'm going to get the M3 through emissions (it should pass since there's no CEL on) and get it registered/plated. After that, it'll get a much-needed oil change, because as we discovered at some point in the trip, the previous owner had taken it to a generic oil change place in Wisconsin where they put in conventional 0W20 oil, gross. Plus it's about 6,000 miles overdue according to the oil change reminder sticker.

Thanks for reading! More to come.