BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>
Loading


Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Thu, Dec-27-2018, 11:43:58 PM   #21
daveishi
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 151
In the garage:
Reputation: 0 daveishi is on a distinguished road
Location: Los Angeles

United States




Default Re: 3D printed brake duct project update.

Hey Obioban, nice work!

Btw Iíve got a set of brand new Hard Motorsport 355 rotor backing plates that Iíll be selling if youíre interested, havenít listed them yet but saw those were part of your plan.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
2004 Mystic Blue Metallic/Grey Black 6MT
Jump to top daveishi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Tue, Jan-01-2019, 07:59:11 PM   #22
bimmerrodg
Registered User
 
bimmerrodg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 315
In the garage:
Reputation: 0 bimmerrodg is on a distinguished road
Location: Montreal

Canada




Default Re: 3D printed brake duct project update.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obioban View Post
I can't, as I don't have the stock washer tank anymore.
Obioban, witch tank are you running?
Jump to top bimmerrodg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Jan-01-2019, 09:33:59 PM   #23
Obioban
Moderator
 
Obioban's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 37,589
In the garage:
Reputation: 54 Obioban has a spectacular aura about
Location: SE PA

United States




Default Re: 3D printed brake duct project update.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerrodg View Post
Obioban, witch tank are you running?
I'm running an e39 high intensity washer tank in the drug bin, as part of my quest for 50/50 weight distro on my 3080 lb fully interior car

__________________

Current Cars: 2005 IR/IR M3, 2001 LMB/blk M5, 03 530i, 04 M3 wagon, and some boring stuff
Past cars: 04 M3, 96 M3, S50B32 e36 M3 CM race car
Jump to top Obioban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Jan-01-2019, 09:59:58 PM   #24
bimmerrodg
Registered User
 
bimmerrodg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 315
In the garage:
Reputation: 0 bimmerrodg is on a distinguished road
Location: Montreal

Canada




Default Re: 3D printed brake duct project update.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obioban View Post
Probably-- someone would have to check the clearance between the washer tank and fog light (If there's room to add a brake duct in there). I can't, as I don't have the stock washer tank anymore.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obioban View Post
I'm running an e39 high intensity washer tank in the drug bin, as part of my quest for 50/50 weight distro on my 3080 lb fully interior car

Wow! Impressive! Any diy on this? Same pump?
Jump to top bimmerrodg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Jan-01-2019, 10:06:21 PM   #25
Obioban
Moderator
 
Obioban's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 37,589
In the garage:
Reputation: 54 Obioban has a spectacular aura about
Location: SE PA

United States




Default Re: 3D printed brake duct project update.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerrodg View Post
Wow! Impressive! Any diy on this? Same pump?
It is the same pump. I just made a mounting bracket, extended the wiring, and rerouted the pump fluid line. Don't know of any DIY for it.
__________________

Current Cars: 2005 IR/IR M3, 2001 LMB/blk M5, 03 530i, 04 M3 wagon, and some boring stuff
Past cars: 04 M3, 96 M3, S50B32 e36 M3 CM race car
Jump to top Obioban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Jan-01-2019, 10:18:49 PM   #26
bimmerrodg
Registered User
 
bimmerrodg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 315
In the garage:
Reputation: 0 bimmerrodg is on a distinguished road
Location: Montreal

Canada




Default Re: 3D printed brake duct project update.

Perfect thx!
Jump to top bimmerrodg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Jan-02-2019, 02:51:54 AM   #27
STAATS
Registered User
 
STAATS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 554
In the garage:
Reputation: 0 STAATS is on a distinguished road

Australia




Default Re: 3D printed brake duct project update.

I'm interested to see how you route the 3" ducting line from that into the Hard Motorsport backing plate...

I currently have the Hard Motorsport 355mm backing plate but fo my feed I have just modified some CF foglight covers (basically these ones: https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...154891667.html ... as a side note a wouldn't recommend them, was a terrible fit and took a lot of modifying and still doesnt fit perfect... I just got them as I was buying the CF lip spoiler through them at the same time which was a good fit for aftermarket especially vs the terrible fit of these)... anyway. I have yet to look at actually running the 3" tube between them and the backing plate... when I did some mock ups I was unable to find a way to achieve it without having interference at the very end of travel so may require some travel limiters (which as a side note I may very slightly need for full lock due to my suspension / wheel fitment so may not be the end of the world)

I was thinking of building a mounting interface connection into the plastic scuff plate just below the cut out for the sway bar... I wanted to cut a 3" whole and then glue a 3" pipe in there. then connect from the back of the fog light to that just using hose clamps and then from that to the back of the Hard Motorsport plate... I found some 3" 22deg gutter bends that I could mount to either end of the 3" line for in the wheel well and as they help make the bend sharper they may actually stop the clash I experienced in earlier test fits but not sure yet... will also make it easily removable so when I'm just on the street I can remove that section and then use a 3" gutter plug to stop junk getting in the wheel well.

22deg gutter bend for reference:
https://www.bunnings.com.au/holman-7...elbow_p4770261

gutter plug for ref:
https://www.bunnings.com.au/holman-7...m-cap_p4770386
(could just simply put a bolt through that onto the mounting pipe and drill a few holes in it to replace the pipe when street driving)
__________________
STAATS

BMW E46 M3 Vehicle Log Book & Service Tracker Tool: http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=564731

BMW E46 M3 Vehicle Data Record & Modification Journal Template: http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=566440

2003 BMW E46 M3 Street / Road Rally Build: http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=566468
Jump to top STAATS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Jan-02-2019, 12:26:46 PM   #28
erickrayos
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 511
In the garage:
Reputation: 0 erickrayos is on a distinguished road
Location: San Diego

United States




Default Re: 3D printed brake duct project update.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcfreid View Post
me wants this.... I was about to say to make something like this that has a scoop for the intake and the other half for the brake cooling duck. I'd pay for it for sure. lol
__________________
Jump to top erickrayos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Jan-02-2019, 02:16:13 PM   #29
bigjae1976
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 7,576
In the garage:
Reputation: 0 bigjae1976 is on a distinguished road
Location: Wichita

United States




Default Re: 3D printed brake duct project update.

There is a tried and true route for the hose so that there's no interference. You will need to cut the plastic engine cover. You can use these flanges to make the connection easily removable for street driving.

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catal...uctflanges.php

These are not necessary. If you route the hose right there will be no need to ever remove the hoses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by STAATS View Post
I'm interested to see how you route the 3" ducting line from that into the Hard Motorsport backing plate...

I currently have the Hard Motorsport 355mm backing plate but fo my feed I have just modified some CF foglight covers (basically these ones: https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...154891667.html ... as a side note a wouldn't recommend them, was a terrible fit and took a lot of modifying and still doesnt fit perfect... I just got them as I was buying the CF lip spoiler through them at the same time which was a good fit for aftermarket especially vs the terrible fit of these)... anyway. I have yet to look at actually running the 3" tube between them and the backing plate... when I did some mock ups I was unable to find a way to achieve it without having interference at the very end of travel so may require some travel limiters (which as a side note I may very slightly need for full lock due to my suspension / wheel fitment so may not be the end of the world)

I was thinking of building a mounting interface connection into the plastic scuff plate just below the cut out for the sway bar... I wanted to cut a 3" whole and then glue a 3" pipe in there. then connect from the back of the fog light to that just using hose clamps and then from that to the back of the Hard Motorsport plate... I found some 3" 22deg gutter bends that I could mount to either end of the 3" line for in the wheel well and as they help make the bend sharper they may actually stop the clash I experienced in earlier test fits but not sure yet... will also make it easily removable so when I'm just on the street I can remove that section and then use a 3" gutter plug to stop junk getting in the wheel well.
__________________
2013 F30 328i - Melbourne Red
2011 E90 M3 - Monte Carlo Blue
2004 E46 M3 - Imola Red
Jump to top bigjae1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Jan-02-2019, 04:42:53 PM   #30
aznbo187
XIII
 
aznbo187's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 2,421
In the garage:
Reputation: 0 aznbo187 has a spectacular aura about
Location: West Hills, CA

United States




Default Re: 3D printed brake duct project update.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post
There is a tried and true route for the hose so that there's no interference. You will need to cut the plastic engine cover. You can use these flanges to make the connection easily removable for street driving.

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catal...uctflanges.php

These are not necessary. If you route the hose right there will be no need to ever remove the hoses.
Thanks for sharing! Didn't want to end up paying $80 for some flanges from Bimmerworld.
__________________
no.13
Jump to top aznbo187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT. The time now is 08:29:36 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
M3Forum.com and M3forum.net is in no way sponsored, endorsed or affiliated by or with BMW NA / BMW AG or any of it's subsidiaries or vendors.
BMW and M3 (E90 M3 | E92 M3 | E93 M3 | E46 M3 | E36 M3 | E30 M3) are registered trademarks of BMW AG.
M3Forum Terms of Service
Copyright ©1999-2017 M3Forum.com
Discussing 3D printed brake duct project update. in the E46 M3 (2001-2006) Forum - Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006. at BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X)