BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Wed, Dec-26-2018, 04:12:16 AM   #1
brandong2025

United States

Default Smg light.

So my e46 M3 has approximately 146,000 miles on it and one of the previous owners had had the transmission completely rebuilt within the past 5 ish thousand miles. The transmission light comes on intermittently and usually goes away on long 1 hour+ long highway drives. But after that all it takes is a 2nd gear pull in sport mode and there it is for a week or so longer. Anything I should be to consirned about?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Jump to top brandong2025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Wed, Dec-26-2018, 04:14:00 AM   #2
brandong2025

United States

Default Re: Smg light.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandong2025 View Post
So my e46 M3 has approximately 146,000 miles on it and one of the previous owners had had the transmission completely rebuilt within the past 5 ish thousand miles. The transmission light comes on intermittently and usually goes away on long 1 hour+ long highway drives. But after that all it takes is a 2nd gear pull in sport mode and there it is for a week or so longer. Anything I should be to consirned about?

There's my M3.

Old Wed, Dec-26-2018, 04:25:23 AM   #3
///M Dream
Real Madrid C.F.

In the garage:

United States

Nice bowtie. No idea what's up with your smg

Current: 2006 Interlagos Blue ZCP ///M3
Past: F80 M3. E46 330i ZHP. B8 S4. E92 M3. E46 M3.
Jump to top ///M Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Dec-26-2018, 04:28:35 AM   #4
Texaz3

United States

Get a code reader and pull codes. Otherwise anybodys guess is as good yours.
Jump to top Texaz3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Dec-26-2018, 04:45:46 AM   #5
RedM3/4

United States

The shortest answer is, it can be complex; but that's not helpful. I'd go get the codes read, and since you're both young and a new member here, this part is important: Get the codes read with a reader that is 100% able to both read BMW specific codes AND perform SMG specific actions. Just one example would be, able to perform gear sensor calibrations. Generic code readers are worse than nothing, as they try, improperly, to determine what the BMW proprietary code is, which can be completely misleading. An example here is, I've seen codes that refer to automatic transmissions. You have a manual transmission, the same as in a 6 speed, only that it has an electronic/hydraulic servo that actuates the clutch and gears. You may know a lot of this, but the point about the code reading is the key.
--
to keep it simple: there is a second control unit for SMG that "talks" to the engine ecu. Sometimes the code interpretation gets complex here.
Here's another clue: "sport mode" does NOTHING but remap the gas pedal inputs. In regular mode, it is linear. In sport mode, it is HEAVILY baised to early inputs. In a practical sense, this means (approximations here without researching the actual values but you'll get the idea) when you push the gas pedal down 25% of the way, it really gives you 70% throttle. It feels fast, as a small gas pedal input causes a lot of acceleration, like you pushed the gas pedal to 70% of it's travel. But what really happens is after you have the pedal about half way down, 50%, there's nearly no difference from there to flooring it. Maybe a little, but not much. Think of it as adjusting the trackpad on a laptop to "hyper" setting, where you move your finger 10mm / 3/8" inch and the cursor goes all the way across the screen; it may look cool, but it makes precision moves harder.
---
So in comparison to other cars, or the M3 in regular mode, it "feels fast", but what it really does is exaggerate the early travel of the gas pedal, and makes the last half feel dead; there is NO increase in the cars performance. It makes the throttle jittery and harder to drive smoothly in traffic, for no real value.
---
Here is one important part: For the SMG, all kinds of sensors are monitored for their values, including throttle position. Second related fact is, there are 3 throttle position sensors on the car that tell the main ecu where the gas pedal and the mechanics under the hood are positioned. One of them is actually part of the gas pedal, since there is no mechanical linkage from the pedal to the throttle bodies (that control how much air/mixture gets into the engine, and hence, speed [in a given gear]). If any of these start to go bad (and it's usually the one in the front of the engine bay), I highly suspect sport mode WILL eggaxerate this error. So as the engine ecu and the smg ecu communicate, this could be a problem. There could be other parts or sensors invovled, but follow the steps I recommend on getting codes read, THEN REPORT BACK TO US.
---
So, back to sport mode, the first thing I'd try after getting the codes read is to stay out of sport made and see if the problem continues. It won't fix any underlying cause, but we'll learn something about how the problem behaves.

Good luck, let us know what you find!

ADS

Last edited by RedM3/4; Wed, Dec-26-2018 at 04:49:26 AM. Reason: spelling
Jump to top RedM3/4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Dec-26-2018, 12:20:04 PM   #6
wichonewichone

United States

Buy inpa and a cable off amazon for $23, scan your car, fix whatever it tells you is wrong.

Check your smg fluid level too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jump to top wichonewichone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Dec-26-2018, 12:42:18 PM   #7
ClevoCapri

I think you will find "normal" mode is heavily detuned throttle position and sport mode is closer to the actual pedal position.......

Get yourself a real cable from ECUWorx or similar and you will have full diagnostic ability.
That is what you need.
Dont be spooked by all the SMG haters on this forum or the interwebs in general!
Jump to top ClevoCapri is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Jan-12-2019, 02:24:46 AM   #8
brandong2025

United States

I replaced the salmon relay and it solved the problem completely and the shifts are noticeably faster.

Old Sat, Jan-12-2019, 02:30:06 AM   #9
ThunderMoose

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandong2025 View Post
I replaced the salmon relay and it solved the problem completely and the shifts are noticeably faster.

That's awesome news!

#67 2017 NASA TX TT3 Champion

FLMS Half Cage, RaceTech 4009HR drivers seat, Schroth 6-Pt Harness, E.S.S. Fire System, AIM SOLO DL with ECU Harness, SmartyCam, Angle Aluminum with VAC dead pedal, Sparco Steering Wheel on MOMO hub, MCS Suspension, Hyperco 800F 900R springs, Hotchkis Front and Rear Sway bars, Vorshlag Camber Plates, Turner ARCA, AJ Hartman Front Splitter, BW V2 Wing, BW CF Rear Diffuser, APEX ARC-8 wheels, Brembo BBK Front, Carbon Fiber Roof, CF Headlight Blanks, Door Windows and Cards Delete, TMS rear and front subframe reinforcement, Zionsville Competition Cooler, BW Oil Cooler, Oil Diverter Valve, Motorsports Thermostat, Evolve CF Intake, Epic Stepped Headers, Turner Pulleys, BW 3.5" Race Exhaust, EPIC Alpha N Tune, Beisan Oil Disk and Vanos Seals, ZF 5MT, CAE Ultra Shifter

My track journal: http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=509148
Jump to top ThunderMoose is offline   Reply With Quote