BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E36 M3 (1992-1999)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E36 M3 (1992-1999) {Euro - S50 B32 321hp @ 7400 rpm} {U.S. - S52 B32 240 hp @ 6000 rpm}
Total Produced: 71,212 - Years Produced: 1992 to 1999

Old Thu, Dec-13-2018, 02:24:33 PM   #11
Obioban

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: Wide Angle Mirror Glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braymond141 View Post
I will say that I'm not a fan of this style of glass... but I'm sure it is due to my limited use with it. It's VERY weird to drive with.
100% agreed. I bought it, ran it for a month, went back to stock. I found it very difficult to accurately judge distances, and didn't find it gave me any additional visibility beyond my normal mirror position.

Current Cars: 2005 IR/IR M3, 2001 LMB/blk M5,04 M3 wagon, 2017 i3
Past cars: 04 M3, 03 530i, 96 M3, S50B32 e36 M3 CM race car
Jump to top Obioban is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Fri, Dec-14-2018, 03:22:55 AM   #12
M3AN
321 fun...

New Zealand

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Parallel View Post
Silly text only for America...

Your numbers are for the EU glass, which for Americans, is wide angled (what we call normal, so the US mirrors must be narrow angle).

Anyways, if you see your numbers, they are the same apart from the last digit, which is only one lower/higher.

These are the numbers for the EU glass, but RHD instead of LDH.
Oh, that's interesting that ours are "wide angle" (we call them "normal" here as well). They're small enough I can't imagine "narrow angle" mirrors would be much use at all!

I though the "wide angle" ones might be convex or split into two parts like some other manufacturers.

I can understand the desire to swap them out. In fact I can't even understand why the the other ones even exist.
Old Fri, Dec-14-2018, 03:28:03 AM   #13
M3AN
321 fun...

New Zealand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double E View Post
situational awareness....ha. With American drivers...not typically.
lol - although in all honesty this problem applies to New Zealand as well.

When I lived in Europe I used to love driving between cities because other road users have an appreciable sense of situational awareness, especially in Germany (necessitated by their open road limits).

Most of that gets thrown out the window in cities of course where haste and urgency overtake awareness and consideration.

Tell you what though, if you can survive driving through Rome or Paris you're ready to tackle Mumbai or Cairo which are a different world altogether.
Old Fri, Dec-14-2018, 12:01:09 PM   #14
Obioban

In the garage:

United States

Believe it or not, american drivers vary from region to region, as well :P

Current Cars: 2005 IR/IR M3, 2001 LMB/blk M5,04 M3 wagon, 2017 i3
Past cars: 04 M3, 03 530i, 96 M3, S50B32 e36 M3 CM race car
Jump to top Obioban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Dec-14-2018, 05:32:21 PM   #15
jayjaya29
Photographer

United States

I run the Euro glass on the driver's side mirror. Took a bit to get acclimated to it but I find it useful.
Jump to top jayjaya29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Dec-14-2018, 07:51:28 PM   #16
Nate047

In the garage:

United States

I had wide angle glass on a couple of my Hondas. It was helpful sometimes. But it's the epitome of a personal preference, not something I would put effort into changing unless your original glass is broken.

http://www.natehasslerphoto.com
Jump to top Nate047 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Dec-17-2018, 07:44:25 PM   #17
scoobiedoo2029

United States

so are any of theise a split mirror? with the line on it and change in "lens deal"

im used to what i have on my car now that narrow angle mirrors are strange. its beeen 8 years but i swear i did some componation or LHD and RHD mirrors. but id like a a split lens.
Old Mon, Dec-17-2018, 08:51:39 PM   #18
terraphantm

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3AN View Post
Oh, that's interesting that ours are "wide angle" (we call them "normal" here as well). They're small enough I can't imagine "narrow angle" mirrors would be much use at all!

I though the "wide angle" ones might be convex or split into two parts like some other manufacturers.

I can understand the desire to swap them out. In fact I can't even understand why the the other ones even exist.
US mirrors are flat on the driver side and convex on the passenger side. Euro mirrors are convex on both sides (and at least on the e46, to a greater extent than the stock us passenger mirror). That makes the fov on the euro mirrors wider than the us mirrors, and the difference on the driver side is very significant. “Downside” is that technically things look smaller than they “should” for their distance.

It’s a federal regulation that the driver side mirror is flat. Passenger side can be whatever, but legally has to have the idiot text on it.
Jump to top terraphantm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Dec-17-2018, 09:08:10 PM   #19
bmwstephen

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by terraphantm View Post
US mirrors are flat on the driver side and convex on the passenger side. Euro mirrors are convex on both sides (and at least on the e46, to a greater extent than the stock us passenger mirror). That makes the fov on the euro mirrors wider than the us mirrors, and the difference on the driver side is very significant. “Downside” is that technically things look smaller than they “should” for their distance.

It’s a federal regulation that the driver side mirror is flat. Passenger side can be whatever, but legally has to have the idiot text on it.

Wait really? So the us passenger side is already wide angled? Then maybe I just need the driver side
Jump to top bmwstephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Dec-18-2018, 06:28:02 AM   #20
M3AN
321 fun...

New Zealand

Quote:
Originally Posted by terraphantm View Post
...It’s a federal regulation that the driver side mirror is flat...
That's hilarious... so there's a law that says your driver's side mirror has to show less because (some) people don't have the mental agility to to work out (every time they get in the car, again and again) that the image in the mirror isn't a good gauge of distance... on one side of the car only?!?