BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Tue, Aug-21-2018, 03:41:41 PM   #21
CrookedCommie
Captain Slow

In the garage:

Bulgaria

Default Re: Digging into the Diff Rebuild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obioban View Post
rear engine weight is going to get Porsches on the power sooner, all else equal/healthy.
I don't think it's a weight thing. The new Cayman's crush me on corner exit. I just can't get on it as early as I think I should given the car's setup. Specifically coming out of Keyhole at Mid Ohio, which leads to the biggest straight on track.
Jump to top CrookedCommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Tue, Aug-21-2018, 04:30:01 PM   #22
TboneM3
YNWA

In the garage:

United States

Ya I don't know how you'd measure it, objectively, but I could just feel it go from when I bought the car at 80k through to the 177k I'm at now. Now I've put a 70k stock diff in and the car feels amazing. The SDW spherical rtabs help, but I've had them a little while.

Before, it felt dead through corners, when trying to accel. The rear end also felt like it got upset easier. It felt like I was dragging some dead weight. Now it's much more alive, even after losing the 4.10s! Just not as torquey, overall, now.

Evolve-R Alpha N Evolve CSL CF Airbox Eventuri Scoop Supersprint V1 stepped 2.5" SS V1 S pipes 2.5" + 200 cell HFC OE sect 2 SCZA 2.5" sect 3 Besian RE pullies WPC'd OE bearings oil catch can fan/SAP/washer delete CSL battery

GroundControl S/A Koni (Hyperco/Eibach 300/600) + tall RSMs Hotchkis front sway (med) rear strut bar TMS camber & subframe plates Eibach alu rear camber arms RE trans mounts AKG poly subf/diff 95a SDW RTAB weighted ///M knob + ZHP alcantara boot + UUC DSSR + delrin bushing Mason clutch pedal + brass bushing TMS black pedals delrin brake pedal bushing

OE CSL trunk Sportline 8S 18"x8.5/9.5" MPSS 245/275 APEX 75mm Studs Brembo 996 4 pot 36/40 345mm CSL & 28/30 328mm CSL ZHP "712" rack Pioneer/CDT/Eclipse/Kicker
Jump to top TboneM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Aug-21-2018, 10:28:19 PM   #23
m13s

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrookedCommie View Post
Which one did you go with 3.91 or 4.10? Looking into doing the same. Worried if I do 4.10 with a five speed swap I'll be speed limited at some tracks... maybe WGI?

Anybody priced out a Performance Gearing diff? No pricing info on the website.
On the shorter tracks the car is amazing with the 410 and 5 speed. Longer tracks you will need the 6 speed. So I swap transmissions depending on the tracks. PITA I know but the 410 diff allow the power to be put down as soon as the car is rotated. AT NHMS a few weeks ago I had a Stang in american sedan not leave me out of the last turn. Granted it is a short front straight but the car also has 470 hp at 3500 lbs and I am 320 at 2950 with driver and fuel.
Longer front straights HP always wins and that is the trade off with the s54. No torque and low hp it is a struggle to keep up with the vettes and stangs. With the 410 race diff you have a shot if you can get in front early and stay in front. Hell at the US Majors tour, Hugh Stewart (E46M3) won in front of a DWW built TA4 Mustang that dropped into T1 class at Thompson last month. I finished third (the new diff was not installed yet) and the Stang had to work at trying to get buy him. Granted Hugh is a hell of a driver but to hold off a TA4 build that is probably $100K+ with the aging E46M3 platform is no easy feat. If the stock 3.6 or 3.91 were installed no chance.

Forget cams and all that put the $$ in the diff. Also I am talking about racing applications it would absolutely suck on the street. At the short tracks you will be shifting constantly, for me that is the fun part.

Good luck.
Jump to top m13s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Aug-22-2018, 11:14:23 AM   #24
Obioban

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by m13s View Post
On the shorter tracks the car is amazing with the 410 and 5 speed. Longer tracks you will need the 6 speed. So I swap transmissions depending on the tracks. PITA I know but the 410 diff allow the power to be put down as soon as the car is rotated. AT NHMS a few weeks ago I had a Stang in american sedan not leave me out of the last turn. Granted it is a short front straight but the car also has 470 hp at 3500 lbs and I am 320 at 2950 with driver and fuel.
Longer front straights HP always wins and that is the trade off with the s54. No torque and low hp it is a struggle to keep up with the vettes and stangs. With the 410 race diff you have a shot if you can get in front early and stay in front. Hell at the US Majors tour, Hugh Stewart (E46M3) won in front of a DWW built TA4 Mustang that dropped into T1 class at Thompson last month. I finished third (the new diff was not installed yet) and the Stang had to work at trying to get buy him. Granted Hugh is a hell of a driver but to hold off a TA4 build that is probably $100K+ with the aging E46M3 platform is no easy feat. If the stock 3.6 or 3.91 were installed no chance.

Forget cams and all that put the $$ in the diff. Also I am talking about racing applications it would absolutely suck on the street. At the short tracks you will be shifting constantly, for me that is the fun part.

Good luck.
I don't think most DE or even TT level people are looking to run different transmissions for different events

I had 4.11s in my s50b32 CM e36. It got really old, really fast-- went back to a stock final drive ratio pretty quickly. Felt like all I ever did was shift.

Current Cars: 2005 IR/IR M3, 2001 LMB/blk M5, 03 530i, 04 M3 wagon, and some boring stuff
Past cars: 04 M3, 96 M3, S50B32 e36 M3 CM race car
Jump to top Obioban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Aug-24-2018, 06:41:35 PM   #25
sddynamix

Thanks for the input everyone. I ended up ordering the replacement clutch pack from Racing Diffs and will have it installed locally (along with new bearings/seals, and the 4.10 R&P). Will update with results afterward!
Old Fri, Aug-24-2018, 06:50:01 PM   #26
Jaredomin

In the garage:

United States

Talked with teddy @ metric mechanics today, nice guy.
They reccomend opting for a salsberry style lsd and carrier from e39 m5s etc.
Apparently you cannot rebuild the vlsd carrier.
Not sure if my understanding here is correct or not though. As my knowledge of differentials and their inner workings is minimal.
I saw that diffsonline offers a rebuild but im not sure if this only adresses the seals and some bearings. Im not having any specific diff related problems or anything personally.
Just trying to gather more info on options for servicing the oe diff. Not looking to change anything. I think a fresh oe spec diff would be great.
Jump to top Jaredomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Aug-24-2018, 09:13:10 PM   #27
sddynamix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaredomin View Post
Apparently you cannot rebuild the vlsd carrier.
Not sure if my understanding here is correct or not though. As my knowledge of differentials and their inner workings is minimal.
I saw that diffsonline offers a rebuild but im not sure if this only adresses the seals and some bearings. Im not having any specific diff related problems or anything personally.
Just trying to gather more info on options for servicing the oe diff. Not looking to change anything. I think a fresh oe spec diff would be great.
You can rebuild the VLSD carrier - it's just hard to find the parts for it.

Jim @ Performance Gearing sells replacement steels, and RacingDiffs has a full set of them as well.
Old Sat, Aug-25-2018, 06:31:58 AM   #28
Andrebxp

In the garage:

United States

subbed...As nice as the diffs online diffs look, I don't know if I can justify spending more on my diff rebuild than my engine rebuild...
Jump to top Andrebxp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Aug-27-2018, 03:41:08 PM   #29
nowanker
"He's no wanker!"

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaredomin View Post
That's the route I went...
Found the complete diff from an E32 750iL at picknpull for $80.
Swapped the carrier into the M3 housing.
Tada!
No more M-Clunk. But I did lose that elegant M-Variable Locking Concept LSD, which puts me at a big disadvantaged when I'm ice racing.
It's actually very popular here in the Bay Area...
Jump to top nowanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Aug-27-2018, 04:54:06 PM   #30
M3AZ
///M3AZ

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrookedCommie View Post
I can't get on the gas as early as some of the Porsches, or the rear end just starts going.
You're never going to be able to get on the gas as early as a Porsche. During acceleration a 911 has around 70% of its weight on the rear wheels.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cul...-rear-engined/

Jump to top M3AZ is offline   Reply With Quote