BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Fri, Jul-27-2018, 03:32:45 PM   #41
albino09
A Yankee South of the Mason-Dixon

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: Best subframe repair options as of July 2018?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TboneM3 View Post
Ya but what about 8 years later, surprise! I don't know, I see your logic, but I just would always want a plan b waiting. It's a shitty situation for all of us unfortunately- the never really knowing 100% what may happen in the future part :/
If he installs a brand new RACP, with welded in plates, and foam, and it's cracked 8 years later, its already beyond saving. You're not going to want to cut out welded in plates and redo all of that anyway. It would be better to just start over IMO.

2002 Laguna Seca Blue/Dove Grey...Journal
Jump to top albino09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Fri, Jul-27-2018, 03:36:47 PM   #42
bigjae1976

In the garage:

United States

Default Best subframe repair options as of July 2018?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toasty View Post
I sure hope we hear from him soon and that's he doing well. As I said before in this thread, I like his designs and think he's doing important work, and I'd like to see him succeed.
+1!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfan08 View Post
Points to consider but welding done poorly/incorrectly can have its own set of downsides. Fatigue of metal, distortion of metal due to uneven heating/cooling, etc.

That can happen and welding thin sheet metal is far more difficult.

But...as long as you start the pool on the plate and push it onto the PROPERLY PREPPED sheet metal then it welds up no problem. Prep work is key. If the prep isnít done then you will blow holes in the sheet metal which isnít much different that what you would do to epoxy the plates on.

Last edited by bigjae1976; Fri, Jul-27-2018 at 03:48:10 PM.
Jump to top bigjae1976 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Jul-27-2018, 04:11:09 PM   #43
terraphantm

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by albino09 View Post
If he installs a brand new RACP, with welded in plates, and foam, and it's cracked 8 years later, its already beyond saving. You're not going to want to cut out welded in plates and redo all of that anyway. It would be better to just start over IMO.
And frankly if I still have this car in 8 years, Iíll probably be putting on so few miles on it that it will be a moot point.
Old Fri, Jul-27-2018, 05:06:46 PM   #44
bigjae1976

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by terraphantm View Post
And frankly if I still have this car in 8 years, I’ll probably be putting on so few miles on it that it will be a moot point.
I would like to take this opportunity to express my dismay at you not reinforcing your RACP yet. AND you're a forum mod! Vote to ban!!!

lol
Old Fri, Jul-27-2018, 05:14:03 PM   #45
INTMD8

United States

Everything -appears- perfect on my car but of course, I'm concerned.

Thinking about getting 8 foam kits from ECS, go to town and hope for the best.

Would prefer to keep oem appearance rather than welded or riveted plates and trunk brace. (Though if it was broken would do whatever is necessary).
Jump to top INTMD8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Jul-27-2018, 05:16:52 PM   #46
terraphantm

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post
I would like to take this opportunity to express my dismay at you not reinforcing your RACP yet. AND you're a forum mod! Vote to ban!!!

lol
Yeah I know. Obioban and his brother gave me shit for it when we were working on my clutch the other day too lol. What can I say, when I bought the car the dogma was that it was exceptionally rare for failures to occur in late model cars. And by the time the truth of the matter came to light, I was already at a high enough mileage where it was all but guaranteed I had cracks. I didnít have the capability to DIY any of the work, and didnít have the money or time to take it to a shop.
Old Fri, Jul-27-2018, 05:49:10 PM   #47
bigjae1976

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Yeah I know. Obioban and his brother gave me shit for it when we were working on my clutch the other day too lol. What can I say, when I bought the car the dogma was that it was exceptionally rare for failures to occur in late model cars. And by the time the truth of the matter came to light, I was already at a high enough mileage where it was all but guaranteed I had cracks. I didn’t have the capability to DIY any of the work, and didn’t have the money or time to take it to a shop.

Lol...totally understood. It’s not a cheap or easy repair. I’d rather replace the motor.

It’s a great excuse to learn how to MIG weld if you go the DIY route. MIG welding is fairly easy. You’re a smart dude so you’ll pick it up quick.

Last edited by bigjae1976; Fri, Jul-27-2018 at 11:18:04 PM.
Old Fri, Jul-27-2018, 05:59:58 PM   #48
cozmo kraemer

United States

I reinforced my RACP before there were so many options out there. I did the AKG SF bushings, epoxied Turner plates and the BMW foam on the rear mounts a 5 years back. Since then there have been so many new options that have been developed and are possibly better, but I haven't had any new issues after 5 years, 50k ish miles, and about 10 track days.
2004 E46M3 - BBS RGR - RE11, BMW Motorsport 3.91, Eibach Pro Street S Coilovers (500/600), GC plates, Swaintech coated SSV1 Headers/SS catted/resonated section 1, Karbonious CSL intake, Shrick 280/272 cams, CSL DME Conversion, TTFS tune, OEM CSL front and rear seats

2010 - X5 4.8 Msport - the boring daily driver

My Journal
Jump to top cozmo kraemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Jul-27-2018, 06:15:49 PM   #49
BigLooga

Canada

4 years ago i saw a small hairline crack near the rear driver side mount.

Brought it in to a shop, they installed Turner plates with Epoxy, no welds and i inspect once a year and zero issues here aka no more cracks, no plate movement, no deformation.

Took the same car to another shop, saw the epoxy and said it was a big nono and the job was not done properly.

Bottom line is, after 4 years and around 60k km of daily driving/spirited driving i have no issues with Turner plates and Epoxy.

In my books and for my application, the problem is resolved.
Jump to top BigLooga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Jul-27-2018, 06:21:06 PM   #50
TheSt|G
Resident Curmudgeon

In the garage:

Isle of Man

Quote:
Yeah I know. Obioban and his brother gave me shit for it when we were working on my clutch the other day too lol. What can I say, when I bought the car the dogma was that it was exceptionally rare for failures to occur in late model cars. And by the time the truth of the matter came to light, I was already at a high enough mileage where it was all but guaranteed I had cracks. I didnít have the capability to DIY any of the work, and didnít have the money or time to take it to a shop.
People love it when I go issue hunting with their cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLooga View Post
4 years ago i saw a small hairline crack near the rear driver side mount.

Brought it in to a shop, they installed Turner plates with Epoxy, no welds and i inspect once a year and zero issues here aka no more cracks, no plate movement, no deformation.

Took the same car to another shop, saw the epoxy and said it was a big nono and the job was not done properly.

Bottom line is, after 4 years and around 60k km of daily driving/spirited driving i have no issues with Turner plates and Epoxy.

In my books and for my application, the problem is resolved.
Anyone who poo poos on epoxy simply does not understand the strength it can yield.
911 Journal/Build Thread
Sold - '03 Lemans on Lemans E39 M5 6MT
Sold - '99 Kosmos-Schwarzes E36 5MT M3 Coupe
Jump to top TheSt|G is offline   Reply With Quote