BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Thu, Jul-26-2018, 10:45:10 PM   #31
repoman89

United States

Default Re: Best subframe repair options as of July 2018?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerkM3 View Post
Honestly it's just a looks and feel thing. If you hold both a vince and CMP in your hands there is zero chance you will choose the vince. The fit and finish is just superior on the CMP. The Vince just feels and looks flimsy in comparison and I will never install another rivet in option again. I do however like their front cups as they are the least intrusive option out there.

EDIT: I wanted to add that the vince and cmp serve the same purpose and the vince bar definitely gets the job done as it is designed. It's also quite a bit cheaper than the cmp so take that into account as well.
Thanks. What didnít you like about the rivet version compared to the weld in?
Jump to top repoman89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Thu, Jul-26-2018, 10:49:58 PM   #32
dutchhome

In the garage:

United States

For what it's worth we replaced the RACP and the trunk floor in our previous M3. At the same time we also installed the Redish plates and the weld-in version of the Vince bar. Then after a few months the car was in a nasty wreck where it hit the front right corner into a concrete barrier, got airborne, and then landed on the front left corner (both wheel linkages were destroyed and control arms bent). The frame was racked quite a bit from the impact but the Vince bar and the RACP were still perfect. I know that isn't the damage they were designed to address, but I was still quite happy how it handled that impact. The shop that installed it actually cut out the bar and installed it in another E46 M3.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Jump to top dutchhome is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Jul-27-2018, 12:56:33 AM   #33
aznbo187
XIII

In the garage:

United States

I was in a similar predicament a few weeks ago and also have visible cracks without the subframe off. Ended up ordering the CMP kit (plates, topside front and rear reinforcement), along with solid subframe bushings.

I was between the Vince kit, CMP and Mason. Mason didn't have a front kit but was willing to make one if he found access to a shell, which I didn't want to wait for.

Between Vince and CMP, I don't prefer the visibility in the trunk, but it wasn't a deal breaker, I just want my subframe bulletproofed. My interaction with CMP has been excellent - responds within a day and is very thorough. It looks like both kits do the same job, I preferred the CMP as the install didn't look as "frankenstein" to me.

I'll post updates once it arrives and also after it gets installed.
Old Fri, Jul-27-2018, 06:19:26 AM   #34
bigjae1976

In the garage:

United States

I would avoid epoxy since it will likely be exposed to moisture. Or at least plan on sealing the edges with seam sealer. Rivet? Why not just weld? Welding isn't some impossible task. I would weld the reddish plates and make some custom cups for the fronts and weld them in. I'm not even sure you need to drill and thread the bolts all the way through.

I did a bolt through on all of the mounts. Used a 1/2" grade 8 bolt with a nylon lock nut, all torqued to 120ft lbs. Not hard, you just need 2 people to torque the bolts or loosen them.

Last edited by bigjae1976; Fri, Jul-27-2018 at 06:25:56 AM.
Jump to top bigjae1976 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Jul-27-2018, 06:28:51 AM   #35
nujav

In the garage:

Canada

Vince still hasn't responded for 2 weeks since I made this post. I wonder if hes ok.
http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=600109

Theres a video there with the trunk flexing, if you look in the middle of the trunk floor, full screen.

I inspected again today, no cracks, once my CMP bar comes in I will make a video again to see if the floor flexes but I'm sure it wont.
Old Fri, Jul-27-2018, 07:16:18 AM   #36
Toasty

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by aznbo187 View Post
I was in a similar predicament a few weeks ago and also have visible cracks without the subframe off. Ended up ordering the CMP kit (plates, topside front and rear reinforcement), along with solid subframe bushings.

I was between the Vince kit, CMP and Mason. Mason didn't have a front kit but was willing to make one if he found access to a shell, which I didn't want to wait for.

Between Vince and CMP, I don't prefer the visibility in the trunk, but it wasn't a deal breaker, I just want my subframe bulletproofed. My interaction with CMP has been excellent - responds within a day and is very thorough. It looks like both kits do the same job, I preferred the CMP as the install didn't look as "frankenstein" to me.

I'll post updates once it arrives and also after it gets installed.
I'm definitely interested in your experiences. I too would prefer to have any subframe reinforcements tucked away, and certainly don't want to loose any trunk space, even if it's just a small amount... but if the alternative is my part of my car's frame stress cracking, then the choice suddenly becomes a lot easier. And, of course, if it turns out I can't even get a VinceBar in the near future to begin with, than that makes the CMP the only actual choice between the two by default.

Are you installing the kit yourself, or are you having someone else do it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post
I would avoid epoxy since it will likely be exposed to moisture. Or at least plan on sealing the edges with seam sealer. Rivet? Why not just weld? Welding isn't some impossible task. I would weld the reddish plates and make some custom cups for the fronts and weld them in. I'm not even sure you need to drill and thread the bolts all the way through.

I did a bolt through on all of the mounts. Used a 1/2" grade 8 bolt with a nylon lock nut, all torqued to 120ft lbs. Not hard, you just need 2 people to torque the bolts or loosen them.
IIRC, Vince preferred rivet/expoxy over welding for a couple reasons that made sense to me. Most notably, he thought welding created additional risk (bad welds and/or inadvertently damaging surrounding chassis metal) without providing additional benefits over rivets and epoxy. Also, though I do agree that "welding isn't some impossible task", I do think the number of people who I'd feel comfortable skill level wise with welding in subframe plates is likely lower than the number of people who could competently do rivets + epoxy.

While I myself admittedly have a bias towards thinking that welding and bolts are naturally "better" than adhesive and rivets, the arguments I have heard for Vince's preferred rivet/epoxy installation method have won me over at least, even if I'm sure welding is still a totally viable and fine option as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nujav View Post
Vince still hasn't responded for 2 weeks since I made this post. I wonder if hes ok.
I sure hope we hear from him soon and that's he doing well. As I said before in this thread, I like his designs and think he's doing important work, and I'd like to see him succeed.
Jump to top Toasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Jul-27-2018, 07:39:26 AM   #37
Dr M3an M3
GroupBuyingPower@outlook. com

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by nujav View Post

Theres a video there with the trunk flexing, if you look in the middle of the trunk floor, full screen.

I inspected again today, no cracks, once my CMP bar comes in I will make a video again to see if the floor flexes but I'm sure it wont.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toasty View Post
I'm definitely interested in your experiences. I too would prefer to have any subframe reinforcements tucked away, and certainly don't want to loose any trunk space, even if it's just a small amount... but if the alternative is my part of my car's frame stress cracking, then the choice suddenly becomes a lot easier. And, of course, if it turns out I can't even get a VinceBar in the near future to begin with, than that makes the CMP the only actual choice between the two by default.

Are you installing the kit yourself, or are you having someone else do it?

IIRC, Vince preferred rivet/expoxy over welding for a couple reasons that made sense to me. Most notably, he thought welding created additional risk (bad welds and/or inadvertently damaging surrounding chassis metal) without providing additional benefits over rivets and epoxy. Also, though I do agree that "welding isn't some impossible task", I do think the number of people who I'd feel comfortable skill level wise with welding in subframe plates is likely lower than the number of people who could competently do rivets + epoxy.

While I myself admittedly have a bias towards thinking that welding and bolts are naturally "better" than adhesive and rivets, the arguments I have heard for Vince's preferred rivet/epoxy installation method have won me over at least, even if I'm sure welding is still a totally viable and fine option as well.

I sure hope we hear from him soon and that's he doing well. As I said before in this thread, I like his designs and think he's doing important work, and I'd like to see him succeed.
Reposting. This is Vince's preferred means of contact:

To reach Vince, checkout his FB page, where he is more active (if you haven't already):
https://www.facebook.com/PPRnDnews
vincent@practicalperformance.se

Do not rely on forum PMs...this is not his primary "place of business".

Mods: Genuine OE CSL Bumper, Both Karbonius and Streamline CSL Airboxes, OE CSL Snorkel w/ working Flap, OE Map Sensor + OE Air Rail, Paul Claude Custom Tune, CSL Engine management with CSL converted DME, Supersprint V1 Stepped Headers w/ Oversized Catless section 1, SS 2.5" Twin-Piped Oversized section 2, Rogue Engineering Muffler (soon to be switched), WPC treated rod-bearings, VinceBar (weld) + Redish Plates, Full Beisan VANOS lockdown, BBS LMs w/ PSS, CSL style CF diffuser, Vorsteiner CF CSL Bootlid, CSL SMG Engine DME tune, CSL '255' SMG DME tune.
Active Group-Buys (PM if Interested): OE CSL Bootlids, Supersprint Headers/Exhaust MEGA thread, New Supersprint Oversized Twin-Piped Section 2 ...and more to come!
Please PM me - In search of: Nothing at the moment.
Jump to top Dr M3an M3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Jul-27-2018, 01:38:05 PM   #38
PerkM3

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by repoman89 View Post
Thanks. What didn’t you like about the rivet version compared to the weld in?
It was messy lol which was the big reason and I'm a competent welder. I was also an engineer by trade before I started my automotive business. Although in theory epoxy should be superior due to increased contact = greater load dispersion that's rarely the case in an application like this. For a metal epoxy to bond properly the surface has to 100% perfect, I haven't seen an install where that is even remotely the case. So for me it makes more sense to prep an edge, weld it, seal it and know that it's good. Not to mention the epoxies people are using aren't even tested for that application and someone saying that this is a structural epoxy used on the space shuttle (I made that up) doesn't mean it's good in every application.

Call the shop and leave a message if I don't answer. I always love chatting and sharing experiences to anyone that wants info from someone that has installed basically every option out there. 1-833-RACE-CMS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchhome View Post
For what it's worth we replaced the RACP and the trunk floor in our previous M3. At the same time we also installed the Redish plates and the weld-in version of the Vince bar. Then after a few months the car was in a nasty wreck where it hit the front right corner into a concrete barrier, got airborne, and then landed on the front left corner (both wheel linkages were destroyed and control arms bent). The frame was racked quite a bit from the impact but the Vince bar and the RACP were still perfect. I know that isn't the damage they were designed to address, but I was still quite happy how it handled that impact. The shop that installed it actually cut out the bar and installed it in another E46 M3.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
That's cool to hear. We don'y typically get that sort of info so that's definitely a good worst case test.
Old Fri, Jul-27-2018, 01:53:13 PM   #39
oceansize
Kwisatz Haderach

In the garage:

United States

I had the Redish plates installed (welded) last September. Worth every penny. I'm in a vert but I'm supercharged and lowered and I damn sure drive in a spirited manner. I had the diff/rear end out of the car three weeks ago and everything looks great. I wish I could install a Vince bar but last I checked there is no plan for a convertible model.

Side note: Redish is debating the financial worth while of doing the actual install due to what it costs them vs what they charge. Their times sound really high but they certainly look thorough.

Last edited by oceansize; Fri, Jul-27-2018 at 02:05:17 PM. Reason: a word
Jump to top oceansize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Jul-27-2018, 02:47:48 PM   #40
bimmerfan08

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post

Points to consider but welding done poorly/incorrectly can have its own set of downsides. Fatigue of metal, distortion of metal due to uneven heating/cooling, etc.

"The most difficult part of figuring out a car, the engineering, has been done. Repairs and maintenance are simply taking parts apart and putting them back together again." - bimmerfan08
Jump to top bimmerfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote