BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E36 M3 (1992-1999)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E36 M3 (1992-1999) {Euro - S50 B32 321hp @ 7400 rpm} {U.S. - S52 B32 240 hp @ 6000 rpm}
Total Produced: 71,212 - Years Produced: 1992 to 1999

Old Mon, Dec-24-2018, 05:32:40 PM   #31
Geoby0

United States

Default Re: Beginner with an M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by englishtom1596q View Post
looks like you have oil pan gasket, oil filter housing gasket and power steering lines leaking. All common issues on these engines.

For the engine health you can do an oil analysis. This will get you an idea of the bearing conditions as well as blowby (ring health). At 210K i would be preparing for a head gasket replacement personally but you shouldn't need to touch the bottom end.

Sway bar bushings are split so you can get them over the sway bar so thats normal.

I would not take the front bumper off to do the cooling system. Once the radiator is out, there is plenty of room to do everything needed. DO NOT over tighten the water pump bolts. I can't count how many people wrench them down and snap the bolts in the cover.

RTAB are the biggest failure point on the rear. with the tool its only a 2 hour job. Just remember you'll need an alignment afterwards as your toe will be changed.

great work so far. you're standing at the bottom of mt. Everest with the work ahead of you.
I appreciate your input and advice. You were very right, once I removed the radiator there was plenty of room. Ill be looking into engine work ASAP, considering it preventative maintenance in a way. And ill keep the tq #'s in mind, thanks. On the internet people have said to mark where the bolts lie so that the toe doesn't change too much but i'm not sure if that's the right way to "preload", and ill definitely be getting an alignment after regardless. I'm off to Vegas in a few days so ill have about a week before I get around to the RTABS and such so I should have all the information I need by then.
Jump to top Geoby0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Mon, Dec-24-2018, 05:41:57 PM   #32
Geoby0

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contracheatcode View Post
Hi Geoby0: A few thoughts:

1) I think you need to decide why you are doing this work on your M3.

2) If you are doing the work to learn and eventually help with internships, then you need to make this your goal and think about what companies are going to want to see out of this effort. They most likely won't care about a DIY on RTABs. Rather they would care about why RTAB are important, why they fail, what is the mechanical science behind them, what can make them better, and then how you fix them. Like all problems in life and those a mechanical engineer faces: determine/understand the problem and root cause, come up with solutions, fix the problem. Be the nerdy YouTube DIY guy the sciences the crap out of fixing common issues.

3) If you are doing the work just for fun, then I would suggest not spending the full $4k up front. But rather start to spend on what items have the biggest return on improving the value of the car or are just plain needed for a car with this high mileage. This would include basic maintenance that I have undertaken (shocks/struts, bushing/ball joints/etc.). At any given time, my goal would be to be able to break-even on the car if I needed to sell for money.

As far as tools, I use the following and could not live without.
  • GearWrench 9902D 16 Piece Flex-Head Combination Ratcheting Wrench Set Metric
  • Deep Socket metric set + extensions. 18mm tends to be the most common and you need a set going this large. I have one that goes larger for the occasional large bolt.
  • Breaker bar. I use an old pipe on the end of my ratchet set. Works great.
  • You are going to need a friend with a bunch of other specialized tools. The occasional impact, the random small socket example: 7mm for brake bleeding, RTAB tool to make your life 10000% easier, etc.

Again, understand what your ultimate goal is from this car. This will help dictate how and what to do, along with how much to spend.

Good luck and keep us all posted. Here to help.

Mike
I appreciate the feedback Mike! While I initially started with internships in mind I've fell in love with the car and want it back on the road ASAP and as a result won't have time to videotape all my jobs. Hopefully I find some way to still have this work benefit my resume in a way but I'm just trying to tackle these jobs as efficiently as I can right now, and that's without a camera. And yes, I am trying to stretch my money as far as I can while keeping the car in as best shape as possible so my goal is to have all or most of the maintenance items addressed to give my car better chances of lasting longer. Our cars are somewhat similar haha and I'm trying to go in the same direction as your build, just refreshing the car and enjoying but I know a lot of work comes with that especially with the bushings and such. I will surely keep you guys posted and ask questions if I have any, thanks!
Old Mon, Dec-24-2018, 05:46:56 PM   #33
Geoby0

United States

A bit of progress.. Belts pulleys and tensioners were my first job but a video I was watching (by AutoWerksofAmerica) replaced them while doing the cooling system, so I decided I'd go that route. Busted my nail getting that coolant drain plug out but it's all good. Wish me luck!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg progress1.jpg (117.0 KB, 20 views)
Old Tue, Dec-25-2018, 11:23:56 PM   #34
frbz

URO parts do not have a great reputation for reliability
Jump to top frbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Dec-26-2018, 12:03:22 AM   #35
westopher

Canada

If that's a uro thermostat housing I'd suggest just taking it off and replacing it before buttoning it up or you are just going to have to pull it all apart again. The castings are all ****ed.
One of the times the OE plastic/composite piece is going to net you a much better result.

98 m3, techno/anthrazit cloth, 107k and officially worthless. 2000 323i touring, silver/grey/sport pack, 170k and officially boring.
Member journal. http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=491859
Jump to top westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Dec-26-2018, 12:12:44 AM   #36
wichonewichone

United States

Default Beginner with an M3

Iím in ME school at usc Carolina currently and own an m3 that Iím rebuilding. Make sure you move into a spot that allows working on cars, I know dorms get pissed when kids tear cars apart in the parking lot.

Cool to see a teenager revitalizing rather then dumping it on eBay coil-overs and straight piping it.

Also, working on cars wonít get you an internship.. ask me how I know but! It can get you a bad ass part time job (I work part time for a spec e46 builder and love it) it will also give you invaluable first hand knowledge on how to properly engineer things outside of a textbooks concepts.

Have you decided on a school for your BS?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by wichonewichone; Wed, Dec-26-2018 at 12:16:08 AM.
Jump to top wichonewichone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Dec-28-2018, 12:46:02 AM   #37
Geoby0

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by frbz View Post
URO parts do not have a great reputation for reliability
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
If that's a uro thermostat housing I'd suggest just taking it off and replacing it before buttoning it up or you are just going to have to pull it all apart again. The castings are all ****ed.
One of the times the OE plastic/composite piece is going to net you a much better result.
Really? Thanks for the information, do you guys run the OE ones? After a little searching it does seem most go with the OE so I guess I'll be going that route as well. I appreciate the feedback.
Old Fri, Dec-28-2018, 01:07:48 AM   #38
Geoby0

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by wichonewichone View Post
Iím in ME school at usc Carolina currently and own an m3 that Iím rebuilding. Make sure you move into a spot that allows working on cars, I know dorms get pissed when kids tear cars apart in the parking lot.

Cool to see a teenager revitalizing rather then dumping it on eBay coil-overs and straight piping it.

Also, working on cars wonít get you an internship.. ask me how I know but! It can get you a bad ass part time job (I work part time for a spec e46 builder and love it) it will also give you invaluable first hand knowledge on how to properly engineer things outside of a textbooks concepts.

Have you decided on a school for your BS?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Im a freshman at UT Tyler, and yeah I assume work itself wont really net me an internship. I'm thinking of ways to help it work in my favor though. And haha the straight pipe is coming up Really thought I just want it driving right first and then the mods'll come. I'll pm you- im interested about your job and internships as that's something I'd really love to do.
Old Fri, Dec-28-2018, 01:35:11 AM   #39
Geoby0

United States

Out with the old, in with the new with OEM belts, tensioners, and pulleys; water pump, water pump pulley, coolant level sensor, expansion tank+cap, a mishimoto thermostat, ecs silicone hoses, and an all aluminum radiator from turner motorsports. Also an aluminum thermostat housing from URO parts but I was advised by a couple forum members to a better alternative so I'll go that route.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg new stuff.jpg (201.8 KB, 9 views)
Old Fri, Dec-28-2018, 01:41:10 AM   #40
westopher

Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoby0 View Post
Really? Thanks for the information, do you guys run the OE ones? After a little searching it does seem most go with the OE so I guess I'll be going that route as well. I appreciate the feedback.
I have a URO one on my car right now. It leaks small amounts at a time. Not enough to cause a serious issue, but enough to make my car smell sweet and leave a teaspoon on my parking spot after a drive. Just not worth the risk. I'll swap it out when I do another parts order.
I was always taught in the VW world that you'd basically die if you use the OE plastic thermostat housing, so its funny its the opposite here.
Either way I would have taken OE with this car but when you drop your car off at the "Best Porsche shop in Western Canada" and tell them to do your cooling system, thats what they put on.

98 m3, techno/anthrazit cloth, 107k and officially worthless. 2000 323i touring, silver/grey/sport pack, 170k and officially boring.
Member journal. http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=491859
Jump to top westopher is offline   Reply With Quote