BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Wed, Nov-01-2017, 01:27:56 AM   #41
Paulo M

United States

Default Re: American racing headers Results

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obioban View Post
Yeah, the intake filter results are odd. The stock intake is pretty free flowing, and the filter isn't the limiting factor of it.
Yea that was what I was curious about. Op didn’t change his intake setup, just removed the filter.

So going by this, I can expect over 10whp by simply going aftermarket filter. Maybe those “add 10hp” k&n intake ads are for real lol
Register now and remove these ads
Old Wed, Nov-01-2017, 02:18:01 AM   #42
Drewster

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Yeah, the intake filter results are odd. The stock intake is pre5tty free flowing, and the filter isn't the limiting factor of it.
Unless it's dirty... <. <
Jump to top Drewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Nov-01-2017, 03:26:09 AM   #43
icecream
Registered Apples

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo M View Post
Yea that was what I was curious about. Op didn’t change his intake setup, just removed the filter.

So going by this, I can expect over 10whp by simply going aftermarket filter. Maybe those “add 10hp” k&n intake ads are for real lol
Stock intake I am certain is sufficient for stock breathing (as in no aftermarket intake will net you any gains on a stock exhaust). It probably was not over engineered to take advantage of and breath efficiently with better exhaust. Simple as that imo. If that wasn't the case, the csl intake would have been forgone no?
I have a kn on mine now (for sexy noises) but if I ever get exhaust and cams, I do wonder how it would do, particularly if I did a map conversion as well.
Either way nuts how much power can be gained with headers.
Jump to top icecream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Nov-01-2017, 03:40:35 AM   #44
95bullet

Canada

Thanks Everyone!
Quote:
Originally Posted by E36Sport View Post
Have a sound clip? Curious to see how these sound with a more civilized exhaust like the Dinan.
Here's a vid. I have since disabled the burble stuff. Was cool at first but became kind of annoying.
Quote:
Yeah, the intake filter results are odd. The stock intake is pretty free flowing, and the filter isn't the limiting factor of it.
To be clear I took off the filter and top portion of the intake so that only the stock elbow was connected to the airbox.

Last edited by 95bullet; Wed, Nov-01-2017 at 04:38:57 AM.
Jump to top 95bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Nov-01-2017, 03:56:42 AM   #45
cowboyM3
Banned

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by icecream View Post
Stock intake I am certain is sufficient for stock breathing (as in no aftermarket intake will net you any gains on a stock exhaust). It probably was not over engineered to take advantage of and breath efficiently with better exhaust. Simple as that imo. If that wasn't the case, the csl intake would have been forgone no?
I have a kn on mine now (for sexy noises) but if I ever get exhaust and cams, I do wonder how it would do, particularly if I did a map conversion as well.
Either way nuts how much power can be gained with headers.
I can attest to that with the K&N 57, similar to the AFE 2. I had the stock box with the macht schnell drop in and elbow when i did ap v2 headers, sec 1 dual res, and straight pipe sec 2, no sec 3. the system felt choked obviously do to the amount of free flow. Here’s your problem with the “cone” intakes; it’s not the heatsoak. It’s the MAF Screen that people do not put back into place. the stock box is already set up for success with box of those factors, just limited air flow once you get into the big boy exhaust systems.

Long story short: csl box with map or cones with maf screens make more power only when going well above 300 wheel, map your cone, one less thing to worry
Jump to top cowboyM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Nov-01-2017, 08:41:00 AM   #46
Arehman

In the garage:

Pakistan

Good to see some before and after data. These look promising.

2002 AW/IR 6spd coupe
Jump to top Arehman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Nov-01-2017, 09:38:18 AM   #47
HassanEido

In the garage:

Lebanon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo M View Post
Ok so stock intake is not good? I’ve always read on here that stock isn’t restrictive at all.

I have the dry afe filter, hope that helps some. Nice gains btw op!
Its good for stock power, on stock car, remove the filter and you will not gain nor lose any power.
When I added cams, cracking the filter box open added 15 rwhp lol. The same test yielded nothing on my stock car with headers(ssv2).
Also for afe pro dry. It made zero difference from the stock paper filter in terms of power. Both lose 15rwhp with cams on my car.
I suspect that its not the filter, and it has more to do with the intake feeds. Because cracking it open with the filter attached to the top hat yields similar resuls(though not the most power). I added 3 cold air feeds to my stock filter box and a ram air from the duct below, should dyno and see if it worked. If i go over 355+ with this, I'll be a happey man lol.
I'm surprised OP found this effect with only headers, must be some crazy extra flow from those bad boys.
OP, definatly do cams. Totally transformed my car

Mods:
-Custom CF airbox
-SSV2 catless headers(with a modified collector extention), Custom 2.5" dual sec1, Custom sec2 2.5" dual with e9xM X pipe, SuperSprint Race inspired custom section 3..
-Cat Cams 280 272.
-Custom dyno tune
-Tms pulleys and electric fan conversion
368.4 whp 289.1 wtq

Custom exhaust thread and dyno http://m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=569086
Cams thread and dyno http://m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=554439
Custom cf airbox thread http://m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=595180
Why not to use after market bearings with surfacetreatments and /or increased clearance
http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showp...4&postcount=10

Last edited by HassanEido; Wed, Nov-01-2017 at 09:49:50 AM.
Jump to top HassanEido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Nov-01-2017, 02:21:21 PM   #48
KubinB
BMMMR

In the garage:

United States

Sweet results, op will you be seeking a TTFS tune to complete the ARH recommended setup? Interested to see those results...

I literally just went back to stock intake and sold my K&N 57 with afe cone for really cheap... i am wondering now if that was a dumb move.... Ugh
Old Wed, Nov-01-2017, 02:57:29 PM   #49
WyattH

In the garage:

United States

I bet stock box with an elbow and drop in filter is fine until you really start pushing the envelope.

Man these gains are juicy. Can’t imagine what they’d be with some forced air up front.

Dinan | CSL | RAC | TCK | Brembo | \\\WyattH's Journal
Jump to top WyattH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Nov-01-2017, 06:21:40 PM   #50
M3_Pilot

In the garage:

United States

OP, was there a fan in front of the car during dyno pulls? If there wasn't it could be why there was such a big increase when the filter was removed since there was no ram effect going into the intake during the dyno pulls.

2004 Jet Black/Cinnamon 6MT
@jet.m3
Jump to top M3_Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote