BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Mon, May-13-2013, 08:36:32 PM   #21
paffy

Czech_Republic

Default Re: differential whine

Update:

Took the diff out and opened it up. Measured the backlash at 10 or 11/1000 inch. That seemed like a lot to me. The wear pattern looks reasonably OK on coast side and not so good on the drive side.

I also found a piece of small metal shaving. The front bearing is shot, so it's probably from there.

Took it to my installer who said Turner sets the backlash at 10-15/1000 and will claim improper break-in if I try to warranty it.

I drove the car for 70 miles at 75-85 mph on highway non-stop right after the install so there might be something to it.

I've decided not to fight about this with anyone. I will get the pinion bearings (cheap) and fix this myself, setting it at 3/1000 backlash and we'll see.
Jump to top paffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Mon, May-13-2013, 10:52:55 PM   #22
ruffy dongles

In the garage:

United States

Paffy, who's your installer? And to clarify, the "rebuilt" diff from Turner did not have a fresh pinion bearing in it? I can PM if you prefer.

IG @mannschaftschnell
Jump to top ruffy dongles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Dec-22-2018, 07:16:24 PM   #23
chsbmw

United States

Bringing this one back... 10K miles ago I had the diff bushings replaced with polys (part of a rear end refresh/reinforcement) which caused light whine on highway speeds but none under 65mph. Just had the diff rebuilt (to address clunking) and the whine has gotten significantly worse. Itís even there at low speeds and whines during both accel and decel. Left the car with the shop which will have the diff sent back to the rebuilder. Stock gearing and everything. Any recommendations?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jump to top chsbmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Dec-22-2018, 07:46:42 PM   #24
HassanEido

In the garage:

Lebanon

Quote:
Originally Posted by chsbmw View Post
Bringing this one back... 10K miles ago I had the diff bushings replaced with polys (part of a rear end refresh/reinforcement) which caused light whine on highway speeds but none under 65mph. Just had the diff rebuilt (to address clunking) and the whine has gotten significantly worse. Itís even there at low speeds and whines during both accel and decel. Left the car with the shop which will have the diff sent back to the rebuilder. Stock gearing and everything. Any recommendations?

Yeah lose the ploy bushings. The whine thought. Might be bad pinion to ring mating.

Mods:
-Custom CF airbox
-SSV2 catless headers(with a modified collector extention), Custom 2.5" dual sec1, Custom sec2 2.5" dual with e9xM X pipe, SuperSprint Race inspired custom section 3..
-Cat Cams 280 272.
-Custom dyno tune
-Tms pulleys and electric fan conversion
368.4 whp 289.1 wtq

Custom exhaust thread and dyno http://m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=569086
Cams thread and dyno http://m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=554439
Custom cf airbox thread http://m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=595180
Why not to use after market bearings with surfacetreatments and /or increased clearance
http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showp...4&postcount=10
Jump to top HassanEido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Dec-22-2018, 08:29:01 PM   #25
chsbmw

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by HassanEido View Post
Yeah lose the ploy bushings. The whine thought. Might be bad pinion to ring mating.
Thanks. Go OEM or solid? Car has monoball rtabs, poly subframe, fcabs and OEM transmission/engine mounts.
Old Sat, Dec-22-2018, 08:39:41 PM   #26
HassanEido

In the garage:

Lebanon

Quote:
Originally Posted by chsbmw View Post
Thanks. Go OEM or solid? Car has monoball rtabs, poly subframe, fcabs and OEM transmission/engine mounts.
Oem diff bushings would get my vote always

Mods:
-Custom CF airbox
-SSV2 catless headers(with a modified collector extention), Custom 2.5" dual sec1, Custom sec2 2.5" dual with e9xM X pipe, SuperSprint Race inspired custom section 3..
-Cat Cams 280 272.
-Custom dyno tune
-Tms pulleys and electric fan conversion
368.4 whp 289.1 wtq

Custom exhaust thread and dyno http://m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=569086
Cams thread and dyno http://m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=554439
Custom cf airbox thread http://m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=595180
Why not to use after market bearings with surfacetreatments and /or increased clearance
http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showp...4&postcount=10
Jump to top HassanEido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Dec-25-2018, 10:15:46 PM   #27
E46Hoonigan

In the garage:

India

I have PowerFlex race bushings on my 3.91 and it whines a good bit off throttle on the highway. Planning to go back to OEM soon.

CarbonBlack/Cinnamon E46 M3
Koni/Vogtland, Apex ARC-8 18" Square/PS4s, Powerflex, Megan Racing Sec. 3, WPC Rod Bearings, ECS OCC, Besian VANOS, Mishimoto Electric Fan, 3.91 Gears, OEM CSL Trunk/Diffuser

Alpine White/Sakhir Orange F10 M5 Comp
Stage 1 Vargas Turbo Upgrade
Jump to top E46Hoonigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Dec-25-2018, 10:24:04 PM   #28
chsbmw

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Hoonigan View Post
I have PowerFlex race bushings on my 3.91 and it whines a good bit off throttle on the highway. Planning to go back to OEM soon.

Thatís good to know thanks. Diff is going back to the builder this week. Want it corrected where the whine goes back to how it was prior to rebuild and then will contemplate on going the OEM route.

Perhaps going back to OEM will help with the thump as well. Shop is throwing on a new DM flywheel to see if that helps with the clunk/thump. Takes away from the whole driving experience.

Old Tue, Dec-25-2018, 10:37:37 PM   #29
ATB88

United States

I've always been curious -- what exactly is it about the poly bushings that cause the diff to whine when letting off the throttle? I assume that the whining is coming from certain contact of bearings/parts inside the diff rather than the actual bushings themselves, and the way in which they contact each other to cause the whine has to do with the stiffness of the bushing?

I get that people use stiffer bushings like poly to minimize drivetrain power losses (maybe also in some cases easier install), and choose to put up with diff whine for performance reasons, but does the whine of the diff in these situations not indicate that it's possible that the diff is experiencing wear that it wasn't designed for which may cause problems down the line? I get that people have been using poly bushings on these cars for a very long time and can probably answer that last question in the negative, but I'm still curious about how much "exact" understanding of the whine exists.

FWIW I also recommend OE bushings, but good f***ing christ is replacing the OE front diff bushing an absolute nightmare. Took at least a full day of hammering, thinking, pleading, crying, and I couldn't really find a writeup anywhere that detailed a good surefire way to efficiently get the old one out and the new one in, at least not with the subframe still on the car..
Jump to top ATB88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Dec-27-2018, 05:47:36 PM   #30
Toxic0n

Canada

Don't all diffs whine and the poly bushings just transmit the noise better?
I have OE bushings and after installing the Mason brace, I can hear the diff whine with the seats down at highway speeds.

Ground Control, Mason Engineering, HRE, ACS, Rogue Engineering
Jump to top Toxic0n is offline   Reply With Quote