BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E36 M3 (1992-1999)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E36 M3 (1992-1999) {Euro - S50 B32 321hp @ 7400 rpm} {U.S. - S52 B32 240 hp @ 6000 rpm}
Total Produced: 71,212 - Years Produced: 1992 to 1999

Old Mon, Dec-05-2011, 07:42:52 PM   #31
Sharocks
Banned

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: Underdrive Power Pulleys

Its not much, but its somewhat noticeable. If you have the coin go for it, modding for power with these engines is pointless, but its your car so do as you please.
Jump to top Sharocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Mon, Dec-05-2011, 07:47:30 PM   #32
EmDeeAr

In the garage:

Quote:
Originally Posted by white-hot View Post

I find all this interest in these minimalist "upgrades" to be laughable. You can reach the same benefit of the UD pulleys, for example, by doing an ASC delete with a good drop-in filter. Neither is going to achieve much, but one is about 1/5th the cost of the other. Oh well, to each his own.
Why would you ever do an ASC delete? Maybe for a track car... Otherwise, that just sounds irresponsible. Also, you just said a drop-in filter = 0 HP, so....
Jump to top EmDeeAr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Dec-05-2011, 08:35:53 PM   #33
pbonsalb

The ASC is really unnecessary on these cars and its operation takes away from the driving experience. Mine has been gone since 2005 and I drive it year round, including in the rain and snow, and has had bolt on mods, been centrifugal supercharged and is now turbocharged. The traction control in my E90M3 is a lot less intrusive, enough so that I do not mind having it.
Jump to top pbonsalb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Dec-05-2011, 08:44:06 PM   #34
EmDeeAr

In the garage:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
The ASC is really unnecessary on these cars and its operation takes away from the driving experience. Mine has been gone since 2005 and I drive it year round, including in the rain and snow, and has had bolt on mods, been centrifugal supercharged and is now turbocharged. The traction control in my E90M3 is a lot less intrusive, enough so that I do not mind having it.
I feel my ASC kick in sometimes (especially on the 1-2 shift, that is, if I forgot to turn it off), so I can agree with you that it can be somewhat intrusive. However, I just turn it off when I don't want it on. It's that simple. I like having its added safety in the rain or in some other similar situations. Maybe I'm not a good enough driver to do away with it completely... If that's the case, then so be it. Even if I was the best driver in the world, I'd want to have my ASC on most of the time, simply for the safety of others. I had a close call with it off not too long ago. Albeit, I was driving a little fast, but still. In fact, I got flamed for even having my ASC off on normal driving roads. Now people are advocating to get rid of it? I think I might ditch my airbags because too much power is taken up by the car's crash and airbag sensors.

lol

Keep the safety features and find power another way.
Jump to top EmDeeAr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Dec-05-2011, 08:45:51 PM   #35
Sharocks
Banned

In the garage:

United States

Pull the ASC fuse?

Chirping through 1-2 and sometimes 3rd is a good feeling haha
Jump to top Sharocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Dec-05-2011, 09:32:49 PM   #36
propchef
Toodle-oo Motherf**kers

In the garage:

United States

The smart money is on:

Maintenance. Lots of it. If everything is in proper working order the car has more than enough power for the average driver (pbonsalb excepted).

Suspension. What good is added power if the thing has trouble going around corners? Even just spending money on the right tires can make a big difference.

DEs. Learn to drive. Learn to SAFELY explore the limits of the car. Most people won't even come close to the car's limits for years. When you're finally there, you'll know what mods you want/need.

BUT, if you REALLY want cheap add-ons, I have a double-helix unobtanium five prong spark plug guaranteed to make +10 hp. Do that and drill holes in the muffler and you're good to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllwaysLow View Post
x2 and some Chicago style pizza
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Dom View Post
He's suffered enough.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EKaru View Post
STFU Klong!!!!! Go Fuk Yourself!
Jump to top propchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Dec-06-2011, 12:55:30 AM   #37
white-hot
is lurking around the corner

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmDeeAr View Post
Maybe I'm not a good enough driver to do away with it completely... If that's the case, then so be it.
I would suggest, at 18, this is most assuredly the case. I know it was when I was 18, so yeah. The safety of others? WTF? You seem to think that the ASC will keep you from doing something stupid. LOL! It will not.

ASC is just about the most useless thing on our cars. Later versions were vastly superior and worth keeping, ASC is definitely not. Doing the ASC delete and a good high-flow drop-in filter (I did not say it would add any power) will give you a very noticeable improvement in throttle response. Does it add power, not likely, but you will feel the difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by propchef View Post
DEs. Learn to drive. Learn to SAFELY explore the limits of the car. Most people won't even come close to the car's limits for years. When you're finally there, you'll know what mods you want/need.
This would be at the top of my list, although I would recommend autoX first. It is basically as safe as you can get and far cheaper than DE's, also you will learn more about your car since you can take it to the limit at relatively slow speed.
Jump to top white-hot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Dec-06-2011, 12:55:30 AM   #38
hencini
Carlos is My Co-Pilot

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by propchef View Post
The smart money is on:

Maintenance. Lots of it. If everything is in proper working order the car has more than enough power for the average driver (pbonsalb excepted).

Suspension. What good is added power if the thing has trouble going around corners? Even just spending money on the right tires can make a big difference.

BUT, if you REALLY want cheap add-ons, I have a double-helix unobtanium five prong spark plug guaranteed to make +10 hp. Do that and drill holes in the muffler and you're good to go.

Guys, I bought some of these plugs from him earlier this year. They are hella racecar. Best bang for the buck mod out there. My iPod said I gained 17hp!!

1998 M3/4/5 No mods, just maintenance

1983 CJ-7 No maintenance, just mods

1983 R65LS No intention of modding it, don't know how to maintain it

Jump to top hencini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Dec-06-2011, 01:13:42 AM   #39
propchef
Toodle-oo Motherf**kers

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by white-hot View Post

This would be at the top of my list, although I would recommend autoX first. It is basically as safe as you can get and far cheaper than DE's, also you will learn more about your car since you can take it to the limit at relatively slow speed.
Agreed. I was actually including this (in my mind), trying to make the point that learning to drive should trump gofast mods. Thanks for clarifying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hencini View Post
Guys, I bought some of these plugs from him earlier this year. They are hella racecar. Best bang for the buck mod out there. My iPod said I gained 17hp!!
vTech just kicked in YO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllwaysLow View Post
x2 and some Chicago style pizza
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Dom View Post
He's suffered enough.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EKaru View Post
STFU Klong!!!!! Go Fuk Yourself!
Jump to top propchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Dec-06-2011, 02:52:07 PM   #40
bremms

United States

ASC delete, airbox de-baffle and filter does improve throttle response and flow in the intake tract. More power? Maybe a little at some RPM's. It does drive better. The ASC is useless and should be removed if you are even a competent driver. At 18 probably not unless you have a lot of track experience.
Chirping tires between gears? Sorry but you have to try to do that. Hey, lets abuse the car today. This car is far from traction limited. Chirping tires is driving style not power. Don't drive like that or you will be replacing parts quick. Ask me how I know.

You can spend a little on improving controls too. Better shift bushings, replacing worn bushings. Remove the CDV, that think sucks. Mason engineering clutch pedal made the clutch action feel like it should have from the factory. Better feel and inputs improve your driving and makeit a lot more fun.
Like it was said before, this car has plenty of power. Improving the feel of the controls and making sure the suspension is in great condition should come before any power mods. All the NA power mods don't make a big difference unless you spend a lot of money
Racers adage

Fast
Reliable
Cheap

Pick two...

Learn to drive, do some track time with a good instructor please. Improving skills is the most important thing for a young driver.
2004 Aprilia Mille Factory
2003 Kwak ZRX SOLD!

Last edited by bremms; Tue, Dec-06-2011 at 02:57:34 PM.
Jump to top bremms is offline   Reply With Quote