BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006) > Coding and Tuning
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

Coding and Tuning Discuss all avenues of coding and tuning here!

Old Thu, Jan-10-2019, 05:16:56 AM   #1
tmaxx445
Likes to Eat AMGs

United States

Default MSS52 S62 EWS Delete Issues

Background:
I've got a 2001 740i with an S62 (and MSS52 DME) swapped into it and I used MSS5x Binary tool to delete the EWS using the "EWS Delete + EWS Tampering DTC Delete" function and all was well and good using an original BMW diamond key that went to the 740. The car started just fine and I never really though much of it since doing the swap last year.

Fast forward to this week I had a local key shop cut a key to match the physical key pattern and it locks and unlocks the doors, turns in the ignition tumbler and operates the ignition switch just fine. I was surprised to find the car wouldn't start or engage the starter though. Does the EWS delete functionality in the MSS5X software still require a chip in the key of some sort?

It should be noted I guess that the original EWS module and matching key are still together and in use in the car but they don't match the DME.

Anyone have any explanation as to what is going on? I assumed once the EWS was deleted no key chip was required in the key at all but this doesn't seem to be the case.

Thanks in Advance,
Christopher
2005 M3 Coupe / 6 Speed / Silver Gray Metallic / Black Nappa Leather / Premium / Cold Weather / Bi Xenons / Adjustable Bolsters / Lumbar / MKIV Navigation / Harmon Kardon Hifi / Sirius / Aux In / Bluetooth / Rain Sensor / Home Link / BMW Assist / Alarm / Hard Wired Radar Detector / LED Interior Lights / Carbon Interior Trim / Alcantara Pillars / ZHP Shift Knob / Short Shifter / Custom Tune / StreamLine Intake / IAT Relocation / Dynamic Air Scoops / Fan Delete / SS Headers / AR20 Resonator / Electric Exhaust Bypass Valve / Koni Yellow Adjustables / Eibach Pro Kit Springs / PowerFlex & AKG Poly Bushings / M Track Mode / RedLine Fluids / PFC Z-Rated Street Pads / Staggered OEM CSLs / 275 & 245 595 Evos / 12mm Front Spacer / 10mm Rear Spacer / Orion V2 Angel Eyes / Carbon CSL Splitters / Matched Reflectors / SunTek Carbon 38% Tint
Jump to top tmaxx445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Thu, Jan-10-2019, 06:12:16 AM   #2
jozy

Hong Kong

Default Re: MSS52 S62 EWS Delete Issues

When you cut the EWS on the DME, it means the DME doesn't need the matching code from the EWS to give injection to start the engine.

In your situation the EWS is looking for the code from the chip in the key. It doesn't find it and you don't even get to the step with the DME here.

You need to write the new key into the EWS module.
Jump to top jozy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Jan-10-2019, 07:05:30 PM   #3
NZ_M3

Immoboliser is a two step process.

There are two sets of codes that need to match between key and ews unit a fixed code and a rolling code, once that is matched the ews releases the relay for starter motor to crank. It then sends the ISN to the dme to release the fuel pump and keep it going via the dme. The software change on the tools deletes the need for the dme to receive this ISN code from the ews module.

You can by pass both if you re wire the ews module so the relay for the starter motor to be always available. But then technically speaking anyone with a screw driver can start your car by knocking out the ignition key hole lol
Jump to top NZ_M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Jan-11-2019, 01:17:33 PM   #4
geargrndr
Working for Nefarious Porpoises

United States

Yep. The system is actually pretty good from the standpoint of being able to EWS delete the ECU but keep the relatively robust key-security.

You would need to pull your EWS and then find somebody with an AK90. Be aware there's different versions of the chips in the EWS and some are harder to write to than others.

You also have to be sure the key blank you bought has an actual immob chip in it. Some are pure blanks and empty inside. Others have the remote guts but no immob. Others have a little slot for the 'coffin' immob chip. If there's no immob chip as said above you can go full EWS delete... I like keeping it on my cars but to be honest most thieves aren't going to know the car doesn't still have immob so they'll think its just like all modern cars, which are "un-stealable" for most practical purposes...
1999 Cherokee Sport 4L (trailer-hitched in-law loaner bomber)

Recently Former...
1995.5 Audi S6 Avant (utility/winter billetturbobattlewagen)

Jump to top geargrndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Jan-12-2019, 12:22:58 AM   #5
tmaxx445
Likes to Eat AMGs

United States

Thanks for the reply guys, I guess I had a bit of a brain fart and forgot about the actual EWS to key relationship that still remains in place and protects the start signal to the DME. I can just bridge pins 1 and 2 on the chassis side of the EWS plug and remove the module and get rid of the system entirely but as cheap as the AK90s are these days Ill just pick one up. The key I had cut came with a virgin EWS chip I can program. I've actually got a few from previous keys I've bought and never used because the car had no EWS at all.

It may come in handy anyway for future projects or key replacements.

I could also set the entire EWS system back to stock and re enable it in the DME and just sync my E38 keys to the original M5 EWS module that matches the DME and put that in the car.
2005 M3 Coupe / 6 Speed / Silver Gray Metallic / Black Nappa Leather / Premium / Cold Weather / Bi Xenons / Adjustable Bolsters / Lumbar / MKIV Navigation / Harmon Kardon Hifi / Sirius / Aux In / Bluetooth / Rain Sensor / Home Link / BMW Assist / Alarm / Hard Wired Radar Detector / LED Interior Lights / Carbon Interior Trim / Alcantara Pillars / ZHP Shift Knob / Short Shifter / Custom Tune / StreamLine Intake / IAT Relocation / Dynamic Air Scoops / Fan Delete / SS Headers / AR20 Resonator / Electric Exhaust Bypass Valve / Koni Yellow Adjustables / Eibach Pro Kit Springs / PowerFlex & AKG Poly Bushings / M Track Mode / RedLine Fluids / PFC Z-Rated Street Pads / Staggered OEM CSLs / 275 & 245 595 Evos / 12mm Front Spacer / 10mm Rear Spacer / Orion V2 Angel Eyes / Carbon CSL Splitters / Matched Reflectors / SunTek Carbon 38% Tint
Old Sat, Jan-12-2019, 02:55:53 AM   #6
geargrndr

United States

Thumbsup. All viable options.

Recently Former...

Old Sun, Jan-20-2019, 06:32:31 PM   #7
tmaxx445
Likes to Eat AMGs

United States

Meant to update sooner but I got the AK90 programmer and wrote the new key for my EWS module and all is well. I decided to try out this style key and see how I like it. It’s a little larger than the diamond style keys but it doesn’t have the key blade sticking out to poke your leg in pants with tighter pockets so I like that about it.

Thanks again for the help everyone!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by tmaxx445; Sun, Jan-20-2019 at 06:45:26 PM.
Old Sun, Jan-20-2019, 07:16:03 PM   #8
geargrndr

United States

Hey T-max:

1. where'd you buy the key / what seller?

2. hows the quality? (lotta the knock off keys are so-so... but some aren't..) its always good to find good ones..

3. did you have to swap the bimmer logo over from a 'real' key? most sellers stopped selling roundel-logos due to copyright enforcement.... but sometimes they just dont' show it in the ad but they still ship the logo...

Recently Former...

Old Sun, Jan-20-2019, 08:08:52 PM   #9
tmaxx445
Likes to Eat AMGs

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by geargrndr View Post
Hey T-max:

1. where'd you buy the key / what seller?

2. hows the quality? (lotta the knock off keys are so-so... but some aren't..) its always good to find good ones..

3. did you have to swap the bimmer logo over from a 'real' key? most sellers stopped selling roundel-logos due to copyright enforcement.... but sometimes they just dont' show it in the ad but they still ship the logo...

I got the key on Amazon from “keyecu” who also appears to have an eBay store with more items. Here is a link to the model for the older HU58 blade style for e38/39s:
Keyecu EWS Modified Flip Remote Key 315MHZ ID44 1998-2005 for BMW 3 5 + 7 Series HU58

I would say the quality is very good and I am fairly picky with it comes to these sort of things. With the blade folded it has a nice solid feel and a good weight to it. It’s actually a decent bit heavier than the current genuine BMW smart keys of this style since the bottom silver portion is all metal on these. If the original diamond style key is a 10/10 quality wise I would give this an 9/10 only because with the blade flipped out there is maybe a MM or two of deflection that can be felt in your hand. You don’t notice it at all when turning it in the ignition though.

The only other slightly disappointing thing is that it doesn’t have any sort of inductive charging circuit so the battery will have the be replaced every so often. With that said if the RF board is of decent design I would expect it to last at least 3 years or so even with daily use based on my experience with other key fobs of this design (basic GM fobs, and E36 dealer retrofit accessory fobs). The plastic material feels identical side by side to an original BMW key. Here are a few pics for comparison next to an F80 M3 key:

As far as the key logo goes it did not come with anything. I just used the same part from the dealer I do on all diamond keys and it looks great. It should be noted though that this logo is a bit more domed than what comes on the newer bmw keys so a bit more of a raised bump can be felt when running your finger across they key; not necessarily a bad thing if you ask me but it should be noted. You may be able to find the flatter style Roundels on eBay but as far as I know a BMW part number doesn’t exist for them so they will all be knockoffs and I would expect the quality to be slightly less than that of the real BMW ones but who knows. I’m happy with the -753 part I used on this key.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by tmaxx445; Sun, Jan-20-2019 at 08:12:41 PM.
Old Mon, Jan-21-2019, 12:43:47 PM   #10
geargrndr

United States

Thanks boss - comprehensive answers!

Recently Former...