BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Fri, Dec-21-2018, 07:42:32 PM   #711
Al Soobie Guy

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: Comprehensive SMG to 6MT Conversion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmpTree View Post
I think I screwed up somewhere in the flashing. Now when I turn on the ignition trying to redo the flash, Fuel pump does not prime, the shift lights max out to red, and the engine temperature gauge max out to red as well. No errors in the EWS and cables are all connected. Getting error in INPA as well when checking for codes *

The only improvement I had was hard resetting the car by removing the battery for few minutes yesterday. Surprisingly manage to crank the car, but still couldnít get the car to start. I think itís because of the fuel pump did not prime for any fuel.

Also, I couldnít get to reflash the car, keep getting error 211 battery voltage low. Bought a brand new charger and a brand new battery, but still getting the same error. Iím out of my wits now disconnected the battery and leave it overnight. Will try to see if any good progress or not today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sounds like there was an error when you were trying up flash the DME. Its not the end of the world. Fire up ISTA, if DME is " blue" its not initialized and it needs to be reflashed.

99% chance you had this happen is USB cable and/or insufficient power supply for coding.

Right way to fix it is IOTA DLS90 and Icom Next. If you use the right equipment this wont happen.

Good news is that its very likely easily fixable.
Jump to top Al Soobie Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Fri, Dec-21-2018, 07:44:59 PM   #712
Kenny167

United States

This issue has since been fixed (to my knowledge). He got the car to start, so I believe he's all set.
Jump to top Kenny167 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Dec-23-2018, 07:29:12 AM   #713
AmpTree

Malaysia

Thanks to Kenny for the help. Very much appreciated. Merry Christmas to all, and have a great 2019 ahead

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jump to top AmpTree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Dec-31-2018, 04:45:08 PM   #714
e36man

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitesh33 View Post
You donít need the Gear Postion Sensor (GPS) wired, everything still work as it is, cruise control etc

Clutch Pedal Switch Wiring Without GPS Sensor:

In order to make the cruise control work, without the Gear Position Sensor (GPS), Youíll need to make sure you have genuine e46 m3 Clutch Pedal Switch (goes on the clutch pedal inside the car) you cannot use any other e46 one, although they look the same physically, cruise control wonít work if you donít have the proper e46 m3 one.

A total of three wires need to be wired to the Clutch Pedal Switch:

Pin 1 Br/Sw (Brown w/Black stripe): Ground (tap into the brake light switch on pedal box that has the same wiring colours

Pin 2 Wire To X60002/Pin 20 To in the engine bay fuse box, I ran it through a grommet under the fuse box behind the glove box.

Pin 3 Vi/Ge (Violet w/Yellow Stripe): 12V (tap into the brake light switch on pedal box which has the same wire colours).

In USA you can have press the clutch to start, but I donít see why you need that feature, we donít have that in the UK.

If you do want that added then

Pin 4: Bl/Sw (Blue w/Black Stripe): Pin 8 in EWS (white box in upper lefthand side of driver's footwell. Pin 8 is empty). If you remove the two 10mm plastic nuts that hold the EWS module in the footwell, you will be able to see the pin numbering scheme to be sure you make the correct connection. Pin 8 is in the upper right hand corner of the small pins. Again, in order to insert the female pin into position 8 in the EWS connector, you will have to disconnect and then disassemble the connector itself.

Youíll have to enable the Press Clutch To Start function via NCSExpert

If switching to the manual euro harness and installing the GPS, is this still the correct wiring?

The Golden Rule of Wheels: Strong, cheap, light... pick two.
2004 Individual Estoril M3 - M-Textur - Moton - Recaro A8 - FIKSE - Supersprint V1 Catted - Lightwerkz - Z4MC Rack - Solar Power Sunroof
Jump to top e36man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Jan-13-2019, 12:35:05 AM   #715
terraphantm

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by e36man View Post
If switching to the manual euro harness and installing the GPS, is this still the correct wiring?
If you're using a manual harness, connect your clutch switch to pin 7 on the X6011 connector here:

And it should be more or less identical to a real manual car from that point. Your manual harness will take care of the rest of the connections that are involved.

I believe 61138373293 is the part number for the pins that go into that connector

Last edited by terraphantm; Sun, Jan-13-2019 at 12:39:55 AM.
Jump to top terraphantm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Jan-14-2019, 09:03:15 PM   #716
DataDev

United States

Does anyone know of someone in the "Treasure Coast" (central east coast of Florida) that can do this work? I've got a 2004 M3 convertible with 68K that would be great to convert.
Jump to top DataDev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Feb-09-2019, 02:36:49 AM   #717
e36man

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by terraphantm View Post
If you're using a manual harness, connect your clutch switch to pin 7 on the X6011 connector here:

And it should be more or less identical to a real manual car from that point. Your manual harness will take care of the rest of the connections that are involved.

I believe 61138373293 is the part number for the pins that go into that connector
Thank you

The Golden Rule of Wheels: Strong, cheap, light... pick two.
2004 Individual Estoril M3 - M-Textur - Moton - Recaro A8 - FIKSE - Supersprint V1 Catted - Lightwerkz - Z4MC Rack - Solar Power Sunroof
Jump to top e36man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Feb-12-2019, 04:42:48 AM   #718
E46M3Touring

United States

Looking for anyone or shop recommendations in/near San Diego that can reflash/code a DME and cluster from SMG to manual? Thanks in advance!
Jump to top E46M3Touring is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Feb-12-2019, 06:23:01 AM   #719
mercedesc63

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by E46M3Touring View Post
Looking for anyone or shop recommendations in/near San Diego that can reflash/code a DME and cluster from SMG to manual? Thanks in advance!
hit me up I can do it cheap
Jump to top mercedesc63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Mar-02-2019, 08:03:42 AM   #720
sapote

United States

Do The SMG to 6MT Conversion, but Do Not Swap The Bell Housing!

The tranny input and output shafts have 4-point-contact bearing at the front and roller bearing at the rear. The function of the 4PC bearing is to provide zero radial and axial play on the shafts. Any axial play on the shafts will lead to hammering the 4PC bearing during acceleration/deceleration due the helical cut gears create push/pull forces on the shafts. Hammering will cause bearing damaged and noise.

The 4PC bearing has one outer race and inner race half, which were matched at the factory and should always stay together. When the BH is removed, half of the inner race stays on the box and the other half is on the BH. This is the reason that the original BH must stay with the tranny and not swapped with other BH. If the BH needs to be replaced , then the 4PC bearing must be replaced also.

Using mismatched 4PC bearings could lead to too tight or loose, and both cases will lead to damaged bearings.

Last edited by sapote; Fri, Mar-08-2019 at 02:21:25 AM.
Jump to top sapote is offline   Reply With Quote