BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Mon, Oct-09-2017, 04:01:57 AM   #381
CLAWHAMM3R
BELOW M3

United States

Default Re: Avin Avant 3 Wait and Other Options

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigo1087 View Post
This isn't an Android Unit. It's not comparable. People seem to be confusing this. It's like any of the current pioneer, sony units or many new cars today. It's own os that supports apple car play and Android auto. It's not at all like the eonon, xtrons etc. It's what I've wanted all along.

If it works well this is best unit hands down. Eonon, xtrons etc will all probably be following suit after this one.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Where are you getting this info? A couple pages back (the last update I saw) said 6.0 and all the pics show an Android OS. I said I'd never buy another Avin but I would have to if it was CP/AA. I've been looking exactly for an E46 specific AA head unit and wondering why there are none on the market. I'm this close to buying an aftermarket unit and dealing with the looks lol.
Register now and remove these ads
Old Mon, Oct-09-2017, 11:52:46 AM   #382
Adrian S

In the garage:

South Africa

Quote:
This isn't an Android Unit. It's not comparable. People seem to be confusing this. It's like any of the current pioneer, sony units or many new cars today. It's own os that supports apple car play and Android auto. It's not at all like the eonon, xtrons etc. It's what I've wanted all along.

If it works well this is best unit hands down. Eonon, xtrons etc will all probably be following suit after this one.

Not sure where you have got this idea that the AVANT 3 is not android?

As per the website: https://avinusa.com/avant-3-for-bmw-...n-system.html/

It very clearly labels it as:
"AVANT 3 for BMW 3-Series E46 / M3 Android Multimedia Navigation System"

Judging by how the other AVIN products work (see YouTube links below) - I think the base OS is Android with a custom UI/Launcher to optimise the interface for in-car use. It actually looks quite polished.

Then, for CarPlay there is some kind of app that you have to install (not sure if its an Android App or a native one), and combine it with the optional USB adaptor.

My only concern with an Android OS is the fact that it could potentially get worse overtime as updates are released for apps. That is where the Dynavin/Pioneer/etc approach works well - it might have limited functionality, but it will continue to work as well in the future as it did the day of purchase.
Old Mon, Oct-09-2017, 12:54:17 PM   #383
bigo1087

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian S View Post
Not sure where you have got this idea that the AVANT 3 is not android?

As per the website: https://avinusa.com/avant-3-for-bmw-...n-system.html/

It very clearly labels it as:
"AVANT 3 for BMW 3-Series E46 / M3 Android Multimedia Navigation System"

Judging by how the other AVIN products work (see YouTube links below) - I think the base OS is Android with a custom UI/Launcher to optimise the interface for in-car use. It actually looks quite polished.

Avin USA 10.25" BMW Android Multimedia Navigation System - BMW F32 3 month review - YouTube

Then, for CarPlay there is some kind of app that you have to install (not sure if its an Android App or a native one), and combine it with the optional USB adaptor.

BMW F32 435i Avin 10.25 display Apple Carplay installation - YouTube

My only concern with an Android OS is the fact that it could potentially get worse overtime as updates are released for apps. That is where the Dynavin/Pioneer/etc approach works well - it might have limited functionality, but it will continue to work as well in the future as it did the day of purchase.
Hmmm..... I missed Android in the top description and it didn't show an Android OS in the pictures, so looks like I could be wrong on that. If the baseline OS is Android then yes, I'd want to see how "out of the way" it is. So it doesn't become old and slow after a few years. Going to be almost $900 for a navigation car and to use Android auto. Aint cheap by no means.

Definitely a wait and see unit.

Old Mon, Oct-09-2017, 04:01:15 PM   #384
norcal420
mass nerder

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Hmmm..... I missed Android in the top description and it didn't show an Android OS in the pictures, so looks like I could be wrong on that. If the baseline OS is Android then yes, I'd want to see how "out of the way" it is. So it doesn't become old and slow after a few years. Going to be almost $900 for a navigation car and to use Android auto. Aint cheap by no means.
Avin Avant are Android OS with a custom skin/UI. You have access to the Google Play Store and all the apps that run on Android. I'm using an Avant2 with Android 4.1 just fine. Yes, it is slow but it does what I need (offline navigation, music, hands-free calling) while looking pretty stock. I have high hopes for the Avant3 but it's definitely 'wait and see' IMO.
Jump to top norcal420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Oct-09-2017, 05:29:23 PM   #385
FastFocus

In the garage:

United States

Quote:

I'm not sure what unit you're looking at, but the pictures clearly show an Android OS.
As for it becoming slow, i would keep it from receiving updates so it will last as long as possible. Most everything that i personally want it to do, will be done via my phone with Android Auto. So i'll be updating things like pandora, spotify, and waze on my phone, but the headunit should be unchanged. Which, hopefully will keep this thing from slowing down.

There isn't anything else out there that is plug and play, but i agree that you're looking at $950ish dollars for this unit, USB adapter for Android Auto/Apple Car Play, a back up camera, and the OEM navigation bracket. Which, seems excessive. This unit should be priced at $499, with the "usb adapter" included.

Koni Yellows | OEM e92 19" Competition Wheels | 245/35, 275/30 Michelin PSS | OEM 330d shifter | ZHP Leather weighted shift knob | Ledermanz Alcantara wrapped steering wheel | Macht Schnell intake elbow | Macht Schnell air filter | OEM Fender Gills painted Gloss Black via iND | OEM LED Taillight retrofit | Bi-Xenon D2S 4.0 Projector retrofit by Kustom54 Lighting | Streamline CF CSL Style rear diffuser |
Jump to top FastFocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Oct-09-2017, 07:50:06 PM   #386
skillzo1

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by skillzo1 View Post
Be patient wait.... These android units tend to show their true colors about 3 to 4 months after initial release. $700 is alot of coin to throw on a product that is comparable to others at $3-$400. It only takes a year for the hardware to become outdated on all of them. This isnt a phone where u can update the firmware to newer android os versions. When android updates so do the apps. Be patient. My
Quote:

So i stand by what i said before. Id be patient. Not even just the software but even the hardware started showing issues a few months after its release. First month or so everyone said it was awesome. Then after that it all went downhill. Happens to all the android radios that are on the market. Eonon avin etc.

Skillzo's Build...http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=487768
Jump to top skillzo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Oct-15-2017, 02:03:10 AM   #387
aznniche

In the garage:

United States

The website has the unit for purchase. States it will be available in November though.. Who's gonna be the first to purchase/review it? I see there are TPMS and other options for 99$. I assume its to display the tire pressures on the unit.
Old Wed, Oct-25-2017, 09:12:57 PM   #388
bigo1087

In the garage:

United States

Looks like theres a Dynavin N7 coming out to replace the aging N6.
Says car play and "android link" (not quiet sure its got android auto)

Quote:
The Dynavin N7 is the latest iteration in the world of OEM-look aftermarket radio navigation head units. Since the release of the N6 in 2014, we have worked closely with Dynavin to improve upon quality and features using feedback from our customers. We are excited to announce the N7's new features as well as add a few American makes to the Dynavin lineup!
But for people complaing about Android Units, the dynavin has always been the preferred unit.
simpler, no android, better automotive grade hardware. 4V preouts, parrot Bluetooth.

What I recomned

If your a techy and want the extra capabilities Android can bring get an AVIN.
If you don't care a rats about stuff other than the basic's, don't want to deal with any headches from android and want a stable RADIO get the DYNAVIN.

http://www.dynavin.com/products/n7_e46.php

https://www.jandtdistributing.com/bl...e-for-preorder

Quote:
FOR BMW 3 Series E46 1998-2006

High-quality 7"/16:9 LCD display with capacitive touchscreen (1024 x 600 resolution)

CANBUS integration

FM RDS TMC tuner with DSP noise masking and 15 preset stations

Integrate with Sound DSP processor with EQ, time correction and 4V pre-out

AV input/output

Disc player

Parrot bluetooth(external microphone included)

Multimedia player by USB connectivity and SD card reader

Reverse camera, TV, DAB+ ready

iLink for carplay ready

Android Phone link, see and control android phone by head unit

Made for iPhone iPod iPad

Navigation software with 3D landview and premium POI

Last edited by bigo1087; Wed, Oct-25-2017 at 09:42:27 PM.
Jump to top bigo1087 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Oct-25-2017, 09:36:21 PM   #389
Toxic0n

Canada

I'm reading that for CarPlay, you have to use the $300 iLink adapter...and the way iLink connects is analog RCA cables? If true, that's total garbage. For almost $1000, and you are stuck using analog?

My Android head unit is supposed to do CarPlay via Wifi with Easy Connect, haven't tested it yet though. No RCA cables

Ground Control, Mason Engineering, HRE, ACS, Rogue Engineering
Jump to top Toxic0n is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Oct-25-2017, 11:12:29 PM   #390
albino09
A Yankee South of the Mason-Dixon

In the garage:

United States

I literally only want functioning CarPlay without any ridiculous hoops to jump though, in a package that doesn't look like a Fisher Price tablet (UI included). I want to access my Spotify and use Waze/Maps if necessary and not need to touch my phone.

It doesn't sound like Dynavin is getting that with the N7...I would think they would market the shit out of "APPLE CAR PLAY" rather than "iLink for carplay ready"

EDIT:

This is iLink working on the N6. Looks to do what I need.

2002 Laguna Seca Blue/Dove Grey...Journal

Last edited by albino09; Wed, Oct-25-2017 at 11:18:44 PM. Reason: Added youtube link
Jump to top albino09 is offline   Reply With Quote