BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Sat, Feb-25-2017, 09:26:38 PM   #111
TheDoogan
Forward Loaded

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: Avin Avant 3 Wait and Other Options

Hey guys, in the age of Waze, I have **absolutely no desire** to use some jackass proprietary in-dash attempt at in-dash Navigation.

The future is here, and the future is apps.

*ALL I WANT*, Bob Saget, is to have a dash unit touch screen display what's on my phone: Waze, Spotify. CarPlay sounds great, but here's the thing:

When I want to read or dictate a text message, I want to hold my phone up to my mouth. I have a convertible, and that mic just isn't going to pick anything up.

I'm willing to pay anything for this... WAZE and Spotify in the dash, FAST processing speed, TOUCH SCREEN - still full use of the phone.

I've researched Alpine, Kenwood, Sony, Pioneer, JVC.... it's ridiculous though, because every manufacturer offers 15+ models, and they don't grid them out to compare features. It's as if I'm going to know the difference between a JKHSWRH&UF versus a IY&*hguhsfd8 versus a UHSFBUFS. I want to email these companies and say: I realize most of your customers have no jobs and stand around in PC Mobile stores all day, but I'm actually pretty busy and don't have time to try to manually compare all these features.

Do any of you have any units that function as outlined above? I'd LOVE a recommendation! THANK YOU.

Doog

Black 2006 M3, E46, 6MT, convertible - Headers, High-flow cats, section 3 (all Active Autowerke), Evolve CSL Intake w/Alpha-N tune

Last edited by TheDoogan; Sat, Feb-25-2017 at 09:33:30 PM.
Jump to top TheDoogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Sun, Feb-26-2017, 07:38:19 AM   #112
semaj4712

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojomo View Post
Don't even bother with the Avin. They charge a $700 premium for no reason. The thing you have to understand is that all these android head units are pumped out of some factory in China, then resellers like Avin, Erisin, Joyin, Eonon etc. etc. buy them slap their logo on and maybe add some slightly customized software.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/wiki/Hui_Fei_Type

If you want your monies worth, buy from the source (alibaba, ebay, w/e), then a flash a custom ROM to it.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/member.php?u=3590033

That's what I have done and its blazing fast, and much much better than stock. (has speed sensitive volume, customized interface, ability to program buttons for different functions i.e hold the track switch button for a long time to open an app vs. clicking it to change a track.

ps. little back story, I had an Avant-2, unit died out of the blue 5 months out of the one year warranty. The damn thing cost me $800 usd when they first came out. Sent it back for $300 repair cost. Thing still didn't work. The owner of Avin Tommy Tang blamed my car and said it was the battery...spent weeks trying to figure out why it wasn't working. Finally chucked it in the trash and bought a better unit for $250 (notice the price difference) plugged it in and voila, modded it a bit and now its just plain awesome.
This is really good advice, best advice actually I have seen. Will probably go this route, how recent did you buy your $250 unit, and where did you get it?
Jump to top semaj4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Feb-26-2017, 07:42:14 AM   #113
0-60Motorsports
Established 1998....

In the garage:

Bahrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by semaj4712 View Post
This is really good advice, best advice actually I have seen. Will probably go this route, how recent did you buy your $250 unit, and where did you get it?
Curious about this too.
EURO 04 M3 Mods: GC DA's / Eibach Sways / PF RTABs / RE RCAs / INTRAVEE II / ///MFEST Badges / M5 SMG Knob / VCSL: Bumper + Race Lip, CF Trunk, CF Diffusor / DIETZ TV in Motion / SuperSprint: Stepped Headers, Cat Deletes, Res X-pipe, Sport Muffler / Z8 Starter Button / Lamin-X / STM Paddles / OEM CSL: Steering, Interior, Intake, CF Roof / Terra MSS54HP CSL Clone + TTFS Tune / BBS CH's, LIGHTWERKZ / ST40's / DINAN RSB / RE Race Brace / BW Oil Cooler / 3.91 gears / Radium OCC
Jump to top 0-60Motorsports is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Feb-26-2017, 03:07:29 PM   #114
mills84

United States

I'm looking for something to replace the Eonon with. It sounds like trash compared to the factory business cd unit but I hate giving up the stream from my phone.
Jump to top mills84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Feb-26-2017, 05:05:37 PM   #115
Ramp1

In the garage:

Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by mills84 View Post
I'm looking for something to replace the Eonon with. It sounds like trash compared to the factory business cd unit but I hate giving up the stream from my phone.
Which model of Eonon do you have? I am running an old Dynavin with WinCE and it is junk so i've been looking at the GA6150 as an 'upgrade'.
Old Sun, Feb-26-2017, 05:15:21 PM   #116
CLAWHAMM3R
BELOW M3

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by mills84 View Post
That's interesting, mine sounds great. That's one of the few good things I can say about it. Do you have HK? Did you play with the EQ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojomo View Post
That's what I have done and its blazing fast, and much much better than stock. (has speed sensitive volume, customized interface, ability to program buttons for different functions i.e hold the track switch button for a long time to open an app vs. clicking it to change a track.

Blazing fast? I'd like to know what unit you have lol. I'm running the Malaysk ROM on a Rockchip quadcore with 1GB of RAM, and it's barely enough to run Waze + a music streaming app at the same time.

I too came from the Avant 2 and am now trying to change Chinese head units every year or two like a cell phone but the app's system requirements are evolving faster than these units. I'd be willing to pay more for 3GB or RAM and a true 8 core lol, but China is only focused on cheap.

This leaves me back at doing an Android tablet, or for the first time ever in my life seeing the value in Android Auto...once they finally deliver on their Waze promise.

P.S. your advice has been given on this forum and even multiple times in this very thread. No one seems to care, they all have a hard on for the Avin for some reason. Maybe because they think that Tommy's junk is better because he's an old school forum member. He's still slinging units running Android 4.1 FFS lol.
Old Mon, Feb-27-2017, 02:36:07 AM   #117
semaj4712

United States

Given the thoughts here, and searching around on the XDA forum, I may give this a shot, seems as though there is some decent support for it, and seems to be a brand well represented on the XDA forum.

8 core, 2 gb ram, running andriod 6

thoughts?

http://xtrons.com/pb7646bap-7-hd-dig...6-320-325.html
Jump to top semaj4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Feb-27-2017, 05:40:52 AM   #118
0-60Motorsports
Established 1998....

In the garage:

Bahrain

Quote:
Given the thoughts here, and searching around on the XDA forum, I may give this a shot, seems as though there is some decent support for it, and seems to be a brand well represented on the XDA forum.

thoughts?

Not bad looking at all.
EURO 04 M3 Mods: GC DA's / Eibach Sways / PF RTABs / RE RCAs / INTRAVEE II / ///MFEST Badges / M5 SMG Knob / VCSL: Bumper + Race Lip, CF Trunk, CF Diffusor / DIETZ TV in Motion / SuperSprint: Stepped Headers, Cat Deletes, Res X-pipe, Sport Muffler / Z8 Starter Button / Lamin-X / STM Paddles / OEM CSL: Steering, Interior, Intake, CF Roof / Terra MSS54HP CSL Clone + TTFS Tune / BBS CH's, LIGHTWERKZ / ST40's / DINAN RSB / RE Race Brace / BW Oil Cooler / 3.91 gears / Radium OCC
Jump to top 0-60Motorsports is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Feb-27-2017, 11:43:58 AM   #119
ojomo

United States

Quote:
About 3 weeks ago, it's an Eonon GA6201 off eBay for $250.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLAWHAMM3R View Post

Blazing fast? I'd like to know what unit you have lol. I'm running the Malaysk ROM on a Rockchip quadcore with 1GB of RAM, and it's barely enough to run Waze + a music streaming app at the same time.

I too came from the Avant 2 and am now trying to change Chinese head units every year or two like a cell phone but the app's system requirements are evolving faster than these units. I'd be willing to pay more for 3GB or RAM and a true 8 core lol, but China is only focused on cheap.

This leaves me back at doing an Android tablet, or for the first time ever in my life seeing the value in Android Auto...once they finally deliver on their Waze promise.

P.S. your advice has been given on this forum and even multiple times in this very thread. No one seems to care, they all have a hard on for the Avin for some reason. Maybe because they think that Tommy's junk is better because he's an old school forum member. He's still slinging units running Android 4.1 FFS lol.
Yup blazing fast compared to the stock firmware it came with from Eonon. Granted, that was only with the latest install of Malaysk's ROM v.10.8. My first flash was with 9.6 and it was a snail. Its Google play services and their framework that is slowing everything down. Try disabling (you'll lose a lot of features if you do, Youtube, Gmail, Google maps, etc.) but the unit will be much faster. With the latest version Malaysk has gotten the play services to play nice, I can run the latest version of google maps and browser and Spotify pretty fast with about 250-300mb of free RAM at all times.

I agree on these cheap chinese head units, its addicting, hard to go back to something else without these features.

And to anyone else who reads this, seriously, save your money. I have dealt with Tommy, you don't want what happened to me to happen to you. $1300 CAD down the drain. These units are not worth that much, Tommy gets them for $50-$150 a pop from the factory then sells them for $700+. Makes me kinda sick thinking about it. Shop around get the best deal you can ($250 or less) and then flash a custom ROM to it. (if you do flash a Malaysk ROM consider donating a few bucks to the guy, he does great work and we don't wanna lose his contributions, his firmware really does transform these units.)

Quote:

thoughts?

that seems really new, don't think anyone will have any feedback because its so new.
Jump to top ojomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Feb-27-2017, 02:48:14 PM   #120
gojcaj
Cool like a fool in a swimming pool

Albania

Quote:

thoughts?

Ooooh me like. Will look into this more later, thanks for sharing it!

Sold
O|||||||O - 2014 Jeep JKURX
Jump to top gojcaj is online now   Reply With Quote