BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Tue, Feb-23-2016, 09:19:42 PM   #21
Silvertail

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: Auto leveling on ZCP?

Make sure you have the headlight set to auto because that is the only time mine will auto level. If you have it off and then turn on manually it wont auto level.
Jump to top Silvertail is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Tue, Feb-23-2016, 09:57:03 PM   #22
terraphantm

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertail View Post
Make sure you have the headlight set to auto because that is the only time mine will auto level. If you have it off and then turn on manually it wont auto level.
They will. They just don't go through the calibration cycle if the engine has been running a while
Old Tue, Feb-23-2016, 10:59:16 PM   #23
camberm3

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obioban View Post
Here: it updates and resets every 25 seconds. BMW's tech document describing the functionality attached.
If the auto-leveling feature adjusts the headlight every 25 seconds while driving, then I'd hardly call it auto-leveling, let alone useful, but okay.

I still think that auto-leveling is overrated. If it works, leave it be. If it fails on you, it's not worth fixing IMO. Most cars with xenons during the e46 era did not come with any auto-leveling feature from the factory, including the S2000, which came with what most people regarded as the best factory projectors on the market.
Jump to top camberm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Feb-23-2016, 11:14:04 PM   #24
pshep138

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by camberm3 View Post
If the auto-leveling feature adjusts the headlight every 25 seconds while driving, then I'd hardly call it auto-leveling, let alone useful, but okay.

I still think that auto-leveling is overrated. If it works, leave it be. If it fails on you, it's not worth fixing IMO. Most cars with xenons during the e46 era did not come with any auto-leveling feature from the factory, including the S2000, which came with what most people regarded as the best factory projectors on the market.
Not sure how accurate the 25 second refresh is, or what it means. I was driving my car this weekend. It was dusk, came up and stopped behind a car while going down a hill. As soon as I stopped, I watched my cutoff for my headlights slowly creep up their back bumper, maybe 1.5". It was definitely quick enough that I noticed it immediately.

FWIW, my '02 IS300 had HIDs in non-projector housings from the factory, they also auto leveled the same way at startup, and I saw them move when I'd pull in/out of my garage.

2005 BMW M3 6MT AW/IR (RIP 04/30/16)

IG: @classyplasticlumber
Twitter: @preston_s
Jump to top pshep138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Feb-23-2016, 11:23:35 PM   #25
Obioban

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by camberm3 View Post

It's function is to compensate for load changes within the car. Every 25 seconds is plenty for that (and very likely it's more frequent than that in post 1998 e46s).

S2000 projectors are hugely overrated, imo (as they're super bright low beams... I want bright low beams AND high beams), but the quality of a projector is also separate and unrelated from auto leveling.

If you don't have auto leveling, you either have to aim to light too low for when you're alone in the car, so that when you load the car up with people and stuff you're not getting flashed constantly be oncoming traffic, or you have to aim it for when you are along in the car, and get flashed every where you go. Almost never will your headlights be optimally aimed.

Auto leveling is only better to have. With it, you can aim your headlights to the inch before you start blinding people. They are always optimally aimed for your current cargo load. If you have a high quality projector (since you brought up the S2000) it's actually more important, as it lets your run that super sharp cutoff higher. In high quality projectors, with sharp cut offs, there's little to no light above the cutoff, so having them always properly height aimed is critical.

The auto leveling did not work on my M5 when I bought it (auto leveling arm was snapped, common e39 failure). I repaired it, and it was a huge increase in the usefulness of the headlights. Even more so once I retrofitted high quality projectors with sharp cutoffs and a modern 55w xenon system.

Current Cars: 2005 IR/IR M3, 2001 LMB/blk M5, Wife's 6mt NA RWD e91, 04 M3 wagon
Past cars: 04 M3, 96 M3, S50B32 e36 M3 CM race car

Last edited by Obioban; Tue, Feb-23-2016 at 11:37:05 PM.
Jump to top Obioban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Feb-23-2016, 11:33:59 PM   #26
duracellttu
I think fast, I talk fast and I drive fast...

In the garage:

United States

So is it true that the auto leveling sequence only occurs when the lights are set to auto and not manually turned on?

2005 BMW M3 ZCP - Black/Black Built not bought. All DIY!
Evolve-R | AP V2 Headers | CPI Euro200R (200 cell) | SS Non-res X-pipe + Race | 3.91 w/ 3 stage clutch | TCK SA 450/500 | Vorshlag Camber Plates
Rogue Engineering ASP, RSM, RTABs, TM | TMS Sway Bars, Camber Arms, Pullies | Mason Race Strut, Rear X-Brace | AS 30% SSK | aFe Stage 2 | SPAL Fan
AKG FCABs, SFB | Redish Reinforcement | Turbo Toys V2 Hub | WPC Treated Rod Bearings
Jump to top duracellttu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Feb-23-2016, 11:36:03 PM   #27
Obioban

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by duracellttu View Post
So is it true that the auto leveling sequence only occurs when the lights are set to auto and not manually turned on?
No.

They do their self test when the car is turn on, not when the lights are turned on, so if lights aren't in auto you may miss the self test.

Current Cars: 2005 IR/IR M3, 2001 LMB/blk M5, Wife's 6mt NA RWD e91, 04 M3 wagon
Old Tue, Feb-23-2016, 11:55:15 PM   #28
camberm3

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obioban View Post
It's function is to compensate for load changes within the car. Every 25 seconds is plenty for that (and very likely it's more frequent than that in post 1998 e46s).

S2000 projectors are hugely overrated, imo (as they're super bright low beams... I want bright low beams AND high beams), but the quality of a projector is also separate and unrelated from auto leveling.

If you don't have auto leveling, you either have to aim to light too low for when you're alone in the car, so that when you load the car up with people and stuff you're not getting flashed constantly be oncoming traffic, or you have to aim it for when you are along in the car, and get flashed every where you go. Almost never will your headlights be optimally aimed.

Auto leveling is only better to have. With it, you can aim your headlights to the inch before you start blinding people. They are always optimally aimed for your current cargo load. If you have a high quality projector (since you brought up the S2000) it's actually more important, as it lets your run that super sharp cutoff higher. In high quality projectors, with sharp cut offs, there's little to no light above the cutoff, so having them always properly height aimed is critical.

The auto leveling did not work on my M5 when I bought it (auto leveling arm was snapped, common e39 failure). I repaired it, and it was a huge increase in the usefulness of the headlights. Even more so once I retrofitted high quality projectors with sharp cutoffs and a modern 55w xenon system.
I drove years with auto-leveling and years without (after it failed). Never once noticed a difference. Never once have I been flashed while driving without auto-level. Never once did I think that my lighting isn't very good and that it should be aimed higher or lower.

If you aim your headlights correctly, there's not reason why auto leveling should make as much of a difference as you make it sound.

Now, if I changed the load drastically, then perhaps I would notice it. But in the years I owned the car, I never have and my guess is that most people wouldn't either. I'm usually very anal about things not working in this car and I have a tendency to keep everything working as the factory intended. However, this is one thing that never bothered me. If it did, I certainly would get it repaired (either the sensor broke or the headlight knob adjustor I'm guessing).
Jump to top camberm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Feb-24-2016, 12:40:31 AM   #29
terraphantm

In the garage:

United States

I don't notice the leveling due to suspension load so much because our suspension is fairly stiff. I'll admit if that's all the auto leveling did, it wouldn't be a big deal. It definitely is noticeable when accelerating hard and braking hard. The 175 km/h adjustment is probably also noticeable, but I generally don't drive that fast, especially at night.
Old Wed, Feb-24-2016, 12:43:19 AM   #30
Obioban

In the garage:

United States

I'd certainly agree that if your car always seems the same load, it's of minimal benefit.

My car sees just me to 4 people to 2 people/wheels and tires in the back seat/track gear in the trunk.