BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > M3Forum Garage > M3 Track: Racing and DE
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

M3 Track: Racing and DE Best mod for speed is learning to get the most out of what you currently have. Tracks and DE's is the place to start!

Old Mon, Oct-05-2009, 02:42:41 AM   #11
alanbmoore

United States

Next question - what happens when the boot tears? It shouldn't leak fluid, but I'm sure it can damage the bore and piston seal eventually. How did you catch it?
'87 Mazda RX7

Hotchkis sways - 2.5deg front camber - 18x9.5 VMR CSL reps - Nitto NT-01 275s - PFC06's - Schroth Quickfit
Jump to top alanbmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Mon, Oct-05-2009, 03:59:27 PM   #12
delirium45
Bottom Feeder

United States

i just found a tear in my rear passenger boot, was planning on hitting the track one last time this Friday, is that a no-no with a torn boot ?

2011 Rocky Mountain Region GTS4 champion & "Rookie of the Year"
2012 Rocky Mountain Region GTS3 champion
2013 National GTS3 - 4th place
Thanks Sponsors: SCR Performance
Jump to top delirium45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Oct-05-2009, 04:47:15 PM   #13
Hit_Apex
Riding the knock sensor

United States

I would think you are fine as long as you rebuild it before the next time you push the piston back into the bore. (like is done when you replace pads)

| Platte Forme A.G. Aero | JRZ RS Pro | SS Stepped | Borla | Epic Tune | aFe | Apex ARC-8 | Stoptech | Recaro HANS | Kirk | Schroth |
Jump to top Hit_Apex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Feb-01-2016, 01:43:05 AM   #14
bngl3rt

United States

Default Re: Who's replaced the rear caliper dust boot on their M3 ZCP?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZCP M3 View Post
How did you get the dust boot to "snap" onto the rear caliper? I've destroyed two already trying to get that stupid thing on.
Apparently you need BMW special tool PN 83300492459... but getting the tool is only half the battle, once it arrives I will have no idea how to use it... stay tuned, maybe it's obvious
Old Sun, Feb-07-2016, 05:56:10 AM   #15
bngl3rt

United States

Well, the tool that I ordered over a week ago still hasn't shipped, but I was able to get the calipers rebuilt in the mean time with the help of the fine folks at Edge Motorworks in Mountain View, CA. Here is the contraption they came up with (on the coffee table in their lounge, on their lunch break!!) that saved the day.

Old Mon, Feb-08-2016, 07:54:34 PM   #16
king-rb
dammmmmmmmit!

Germany

Easiest way is to insert the dust boot to the back of the piston (not in ridge yet), then insert boot into caliper, then align piston and push into caliper and the boot will snap into ridge when piston slides in.
Just keep the piston lubed w fluid and it's a piece of cake
Old Tue, Feb-23-2016, 02:35:01 AM   #17
maruscmn

United States

Hairspray. Works like a charm.
Jump to top maruscmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Jul-10-2016, 06:41:11 AM   #18
I M Legend

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by bngl3rt View Post
Well, the tool that I ordered over a week ago still hasn't shipped, but I was able to get the calipers rebuilt in the mean time with the help of the fine folks at Edge Motorworks in Mountain View, CA. Here is the contraption they came up with (on the coffee table in their lounge, on their lunch break!!) that saved the day.

Can't see your pic. Did you ever get the tool?

Sounds like you can only order the rebuild kit from the dealer, correct?

I know you can get ATE (OEM) front rebuild kits but I haven't seen the rear kits
Old Mon, Jul-11-2016, 05:12:07 AM   #19
islavov
M-Power, M-Gazaria

Bulgaria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit_Apex View Post
I would think you are fine as long as you rebuild it before the next time you push the piston back into the bore. (like is done when you replace pads)
I have driven a track weekend with torn rear boots - I saw them too late, and figured will keep an eye on it. I had one caliper slightly sticky and my one rotor glowed during the day, literally. once pad ware out and the piston moved out a bit, it was okay.

apparently, after rebuild (including new pistons), it was obvious these boots must have been broken for a while and rust had gotten in, and after I pushed piston in to make space for beefy track pads, the rusty part of the piston was right in the seal, and the caliper was sticky...

those things are obviously important, and like hitapex said, you may be okay as long as you don't press in the piston to change pads..

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Mods: DINAN Intake, AP Headers, SS Race Cats, ESS Software, UUC Front Sway (rear is 4sale, too stiff 4 me), Ground Control medium rear sway, EvoSport Pulleys, Eisenmann Meisterschaft TI
Susp: TCK DA - Thanks DAN & Obioban @ DER
Track Wheels: ARC-8 Square 18x35x275
Sponsored By: http://www.galaxylinq.com - Custom E-commerce Websites, Recurring Billing, Membership & Subscription Management CRM/CMS Software
Jump to top islavov is offline   Reply With Quote