BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Fri, Dec-30-2016, 05:48:28 PM   #11
SQ13

United States

Default Re: Avin Avant 3 Wait and Other Options

Quote:
Originally Posted by kater16 View Post
Yeah absolutely agree - I'm an absolute perfectionist when it comes to putting aftermarket stuff into my car. It must as reliable or better in terms of functionality , and it must look and feel 100% OE, or I'm not interested - I don't understand the point in "like OE, but not quite"
What I meant by the "so close yet so far" thing is that button and knob location/placement, as well as screen size, are good, but the buttons/knobs themselves don't look right due to discrepancy between the OE and aftermarket shapes.
Old Fri, Dec-30-2016, 06:37:53 PM   #12
E36Sport

In the garage:

United States

I've been more than happy with the factory navigation (current update)/Factory Blutooth Phone/Factory AUX cable. Been then again, I'm no audiophile.
1995 Alpine White M3
Jump to top E36Sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Dec-30-2016, 07:45:04 PM   #13
CLAWHAMM3R
BELOW M3

United States

I sold my Avant 2 to go tablet install. While researching parts and stuff I saw that Eonon was releasing the GA6150F and for the preorder price couldn't beat it on the tablet. It's a better value than the Avant 2 for sure. But ultimately still sucks. Soooo slow, doesn't feel like multiple cores. It's faster inside a single app than the Avant 2, but multitasking it just can't do (like the Avant 2). Feels like it's a half core at times when running waze and a music app.

Has some issues but are minor compared to the AA2. Most are software issues.

Eonon support is responsive, but awful. I've got a 30 email thread where they ask me to trouble shoot things I already did a few emails earlier, or ask me for a video I've already sent them.

For 300 bucks I guess it's worth it, but know that it's slow and has a lot of annoyances like not being able to get to your recent apps by holding home or double tapping home. Steering wheel skip does not work with 3rd party apps (only stock radio and music apps). BT is handled horribly. If you like an app that has a check to turn on BT that request to Android just goes into limbo and you can never use the app because it cannot confirm BT is on/connected.

I'm running a custom ROM with root, which helped speed it up a little and gave me back my steering wheel controls in 3rd party apps, and some other minor nice to have features. Back to wanting to do an Android tablet install now.

The screen is way nicer than the Avant 2 at least. Really, I'm just over all of these Chinese garbage units lol.
Old Sun, Jan-01-2017, 01:25:30 AM   #14
Ramp1

In the garage:

Canada

The Avin site shows one on sale for $399 and says Availability: In stock.

Is that the 3? I've never seen one like it.
Old Sun, Jan-01-2017, 02:53:51 AM   #15
henryc

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramp1 View Post
The Avin site shows one on sale for $399 and says Availability: In stock.

Is that the 3? I've never seen one like it.
No, I believe its a new touch screen model.

Its says in the detail "Note: This is not the Avant-3"
Jump to top henryc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Jan-01-2017, 03:11:03 AM   #16
e46lsb

In the garage:

United States

The exposed cd slit kills it for me. Why even have cd capability anymore.
Old Mon, Jan-02-2017, 01:51:39 AM   #17
BrysE46M3

United States

I purchased the new nav unit while the avant-3 is in the works. I get it sometime this week. I shall keep you all posted on this. Stand by.
Jump to top BrysE46M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Jan-02-2017, 02:01:21 AM   #18
TEASE///M3

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLAWHAMM3R View Post
I sold my Avant 2 to go tablet install. While researching parts and stuff I saw that Eonon was releasing the GA6150F and for the preorder price couldn't beat it on the tablet. It's a better value than the Avant 2 for sure. But ultimately still sucks. Soooo slow, doesn't feel like multiple cores. It's faster inside a single app than the Avant 2, but multitasking it just can't do (like the Avant 2). Feels like it's a half core at times when running waze and a music app.

Has some issues but are minor compared to the AA2. Most are software issues.

Eonon support is responsive, but awful. I've got a 30 email thread where they ask me to trouble shoot things I already did a few emails earlier, or ask me for a video I've already sent them.

For 300 bucks I guess it's worth it, but know that it's slow and has a lot of annoyances like not being able to get to your recent apps by holding home or double tapping home. Steering wheel skip does not work with 3rd party apps (only stock radio and music apps). BT is handled horribly. If you like an app that has a check to turn on BT that request to Android just goes into limbo and you can never use the app because it cannot confirm BT is on/connected.

I'm running a custom ROM with root, which helped speed it up a little and gave me back my steering wheel controls in 3rd party apps, and some other minor nice to have features. Back to wanting to do an Android tablet install now.

The screen is way nicer than the Avant 2 at least. Really, I'm just over all of these Chinese garbage units lol.
If you move on to a tablet I'd love to take it off your hands, especially with a custom ROM. I have the stock business radio so anything is better.

Untitled by . McFarlin, on Flickr
2006 M3 ZCP Interlagos Blue Manual Cinnamon 6MT Slicktop
RIP 2002 M3 Tiag Dove Grey 6MT
Jump to top TEASE///M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Jan-02-2017, 03:54:31 AM   #19
Rakshas

In the garage:

India

I'm as big an OEM ***** as they come and I couldn't be happier with my Kenwood Double DIN DDX9903S with a bezel.

Having had a car with OEM Nav, a car with OEM non-nav, and this - this system blows all other options away in terms of functionality, looks, and sound quality. The guts of these OEM-like options aren't near what Pioneer and Kenwood put in their high end units.
Jump to top Rakshas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Jan-02-2017, 06:40:34 AM   #20
JamesSJ1

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakshas View Post
I'm as big an OEM ***** as they come and I couldn't be happier with my Kenwood Double DIN DDX9903S with a bezel.

Having had a car with OEM Nav, a car with OEM non-nav, and this - this system blows all other options away in terms of functionality, looks, and sound quality. The guts of these OEM-like options aren't near what Pioneer and Kenwood put in their high end units.
I'm fully in agreement, having put a Pioneer unit in my old Toyota Landcruiser, but that one at least fit very nicely in the OEM spot. In the E46, without perhaps a completely different trim design that I have yet to see, double-DIN units look completely out of place because of the huge space left and right of the screen that is typically just left to black plastic. Currently that's occupied by buttons/knobs.
Jump to top JamesSJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote