BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Fri, Jan-05-2018, 08:33:50 PM   #1
erickrayos

In the garage:

United States

Default coolant leak

Hey guys!

I recently encountered coolant leak and from what I can see it was coming somewhere under the pump from the trace amounts of coolant there and it kinda goes on the crank pulley and getting flinged upwards onto my intake box to the right.

So thinking maybe the O-rings and gaskets are at fault I replaced them yesterday, the thermostat O-ring was bad so I thought "this is most likely the cause!" replaced that, and waterpump gasket and the other 4 O-rings from the black pipe and the one behind the thermostat.

bled it and no leaks that I can see, but after driving it I noticed there's small trace amounts of coolant again on my airbox. I cleaned the area under the waterpump when I had it off and so far I can't see any on there right now, maybe because it hasn't been that long I guess and the amount that was there before may be due to it having leak for quite a while.

Any suggestion what to check next? I checked the water pump and it seems to spin as good as when it was new, I tried google to see if water pump on e46 M3 can lean and all that comes up are from the other 3 series pumps and I didn't see any specific for M3.

And if you guys think it is the pump itself, is rein or saleri good to go? I've used this pump I have for 2yrs now as a emergency part to use brand was Beck arnley.
Old Fri, Jan-05-2018, 10:33:36 PM   #2
bigjae1976

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: coolant leak

Id make sure the 2 water pipes are seated correctly. Did you lubricate the O-ring with coolant before reinstalling the water pump & t-stat?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jump to top bigjae1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Jan-05-2018, 11:10:13 PM   #3
erickrayos

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post
Id make sure the 2 water pipes are seated correctly. Did you lubricate the O-ring with coolant before reinstalling the water pump & t-stat?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes they seat properly and yes I lubricated them with coolant before putting them in.
Old Sat, Jan-06-2018, 01:47:47 AM   #4
bigjae1976

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by erickrayos View Post
Yes they seat properly and yes I lubricated them with coolant before putting them in.
Coolant hose not tight?

Only other thing I can think of is the water pump is leaking around the shaft. There is a seal which allows the shaft to turn and not leak.
Jump to top bigjae1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Jan-06-2018, 01:55:51 AM   #5
erickrayos

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post
Coolant hose not tight?

Only other thing I can think of is the water pump is leaking around the shaft. There is a seal which allows the shaft to turn and not leak.

Ok, I'll try to see if the base auto hobby shop got the right pressure tester to check that out. if not I'll probably just buy a new pump and hopefully that fixes it. the leak is very minimal that it doesn't really affect the cooling, I just have to top it off. last time I had the coolant drained was during the header install and light came on after about 3 weeks.
Old Sat, Jan-06-2018, 03:43:42 AM   #6
mrgizmo04

In the garage:

United States

What about the water pump gasket itself? I think some of them are paper/cardboard that could leak over time vs a metal one from BMW?

All DIY: 330 ZHP steering rack, diffsonline 4.1 diff with rem polish, E60 short shifter lever, AKG black diff bushings/subframe bushings, Rogue rtab, Rogue RSM with reinforcement, WPC rod bearings, Beyer driveshaft, Magnaflow catback, new SAC/flywheel, rear main, VANOS bullet proofing with anti-rattle, valve adjustment, cooling refresh.
Jump to top mrgizmo04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Jan-06-2018, 08:15:47 AM   #7
erickrayos

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgizmo04 View Post
What about the water pump gasket itself? I think some of them are paper/cardboard that could leak over time vs a metal one from BMW?
replaced that as well, as I said I replaced every O-ring and gasket that can be replaced. I got the metal one.
Old Sun, Jan-07-2018, 07:44:00 PM   #8
Speed Monkey
Bananas, Just Bananas

United States

You're in San Diego? Make it easy on yourself and just take it to Forum Member KAIV. He's very well known amongst the community here. Just contact him to get your problem fixed.
Jump to top Speed Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Jan-07-2018, 10:19:10 PM   #9
erickrayos

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Monkey View Post
You're in San Diego? Make it easy on yourself and just take it to Forum Member KAIV. He's very well known amongst the community here. Just contact him to get your problem fixed.
Yeah I am in San diego, I'm really guessing its the water pump tho, I mean every o-ring replaced and the pump gasket replaced and only leaks when the car is on (start up is the most obvious as I can see the coolant getting flinged by the belt/pulley? to my airbox).

just sitting there doesn't show any leak that we can see on my borescope. Of course I can't really use borescope when car is idling and we don't have a radiator pressure tester that fits. Imma just order the pump and see if it still leaks after installing it.
Old Sun, Jan-07-2018, 10:37:13 PM   #10
Speed Monkey
Bananas, Just Bananas

United States

About your ride, if it's your only car and you use it for your livelihood, meaning getting yourself to and from work everyday and its got the original cooling system components in it, it's time to replace the system. If you've already replaced all the main parts like the radiator, hoses, fan clutch, the plastic fan itself along with all the idlers, pulleys, and belts, please ignore, of course! But if not man, we got what's basically a 15 yr old car on our hands and those parts listed above are far from lifetime parts ya know. Anyways, I'm just interested in keeping you trouble free and happy. If it looks like soap box, sorry man, that's far from the intention. Lastly, take it to KAIV! He's a super good dude; he's done lots of maint. on my sled. Happy New Yr!
Jump to top Speed Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote