BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Mon, Jun-18-2018, 12:02:19 AM   #101
Obioban

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: Obioban's Avin Avant 3 thread (eventually DIY to delete all stereo modules/harnes

This wiring project is taking WAY longer than I expected, and I don't recommend anyone ever do it

That said, I like it spiral a bit out of control-- the project expanding to include redoing all aftermarket wiring, including adding it to bespoke fuses in the factory fusebox. Plus the battery relocation. And I'm redoing all the wiring in factory style tape bundles with factory mounting clips. Endless

Anyway... the end is finally starting to be in sight. Couple of pics, just for fun...

New battery location, along with my 1 pint washer tank (I rarely need it with how I use the M3 these days, but don't want to be stuck without any fluid). Battery is only 5.7 lbs, so it wasn't doing anything meaningful for weight distribution in the trunk. The battery cable that runs to the rear of the car is 8 lbs... heavier than my battery

Hopefully moving the washer fluid tank back against the firewall will undo some of the weight distribution change from the light weight battery

And the area that used to have the stereo in it. As a reminder, I'm losing no functionality losing all this stuff, as it's all internal to the Avin:

Hoping to have it finally back completely together in a week or two.

Current Cars: 2005 IR/IR M3, 2001 LMB/blk M5, 03 530i, 04 M3 wagon, and some boring stuff
Past cars: 04 M3, 96 M3, S50B32 e36 M3 CM race car

Last edited by Obioban; Mon, Jun-18-2018 at 03:37:40 PM.
Jump to top Obioban is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Mon, Jun-18-2018, 01:02:27 AM   #102
STAATS

In the garage:

Australia

Default Re: Obioban's Avin Avant 3 thread (eventually DIY to delete all stereo modules/harnes

I'm interested to see how much weight you get out with all this work... I considered something similar but then couldn't be bothered... also may be a bit pointless as I have minimum weight for my class of 1570kg (including fluids and drivers) so I kinda figured it pointless... given you already got to ~3000lbs (~1360kg) without the wiring harness and very few major mods impacting its street fitout I figured I could end up achieving similar without needing to chase wiring hahah... Although it doesn't change the fact that I am impressed and in awe of the level of effort you are putting into this project... it's gonna be sweeeeetttt

BMW E46 M3 Vehicle Log Book & Service Tracker Tool: http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=564731

BMW E46 M3 Vehicle Data Record & Modification Journal Template: http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=566440

2003 BMW E46 M3 Street / Road Rally Build: http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=566468
Jump to top STAATS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Jun-18-2018, 12:21:02 PM   #103
Obioban

In the garage:

United States

~3000 is where I estimate I'll be after this project! Not the starting point!
(based on my last corner balance minus the losses from the seats and stereo)

Will put it on a scale for sure, either way. I really want to break the 3000 lbs barrier with full interior/quiet muffler (which is 1361kg... much less symbolic )

Current Cars: 2005 IR/IR M3, 2001 LMB/blk M5, 03 530i, 04 M3 wagon, and some boring stuff
Old Mon, Jun-18-2018, 01:06:22 PM   #104
XrumX

In the garage:

United States

That is pretty impressive... do you have SS street gen 2 muffler or the original? Not sure about the gen 2 weight but looking at the pics it seems lighter than the original.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Jump to top XrumX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Jun-18-2018, 01:12:22 PM   #105
Obioban

In the garage:

United States

I have the gen 2, but I assure you it's anything but light

Old Thu, Jul-05-2018, 01:19:10 PM   #106
Obioban

In the garage:

United States

Other than seats (and airbag-- waiting to make sure the steering wheel is straight to put that in), the car is finally back together. I'll be putting at least the driver seat in today or tomorrow.

This project spiraled WAY out of control. As in, I spent 100+ hours on this. I'm not going to say I'm glad I did it (sooooo much work), but I am going to say I'm super excited for the results!

In total, the project consisted of...
-remove all factory stereo modules, the stereo wiring harness, and all factory stereo mount brackets. Replace with Avin (which has all the stock module functionality built in) and make a new (tiny) wiring harness for the speakers, plugging them directly into the Avin
-do the above without altering the factory chassis harness at all. I did this entirely, 100% with the Avin only connecting to the chassis with the factory 7 pin chassis to stereo harness plug behind the dash. My goal here was to not have the chassis electronics be compromised in any way. This harness has everything you need for the Avin-- ibus, interior light dimming, ignition power, antenna power
-fuse all aftermarket electronic systems through new fuses in the factory fuse box. No vampire clips or inline fuses exist on my car any longer
-integrate aftermarket system functionality to factory buttons
-wrap all wiring bundles (OE and aftermarket) in OEM fabric tape, secure all wiring to the chassis with OE mounting hardware.
-relocate battery to the "drug bin" The idea here was that the 5.7 lithium polymer battery I'm running isn't meaningfully contributing to weight distribution, but the 8 lb battery cable that runs from the rear of the car to the front is making it heavier.
-relocate and downsize the washer tank to the drug bin. This car is no longer a DD, and never sees winter use, so I don't need anything like a full size washer tank... but I also don't want none, in a pinch. So, I have a ~1 pint tank in the drug bin now, as well. With the stock tank being in the front bumper, this should restore some of the 50/50 lost from not having a heavy battery in the trunk. It'll also make it easier to add brake ducting down the road.

And, add a ton of functionality via the Avin Avant 3, which is the first head unit that's look stock enough that I was comfortable running it in my car:
-CarPlay
-Waze
-YaV1 to add GPS filtering to the V1
-Extra gauges and code pulling on the fly via Torque

Some pics...

New, Harmon Kardon branding free, speaker covers

Increased trunk space carpeting (no door/rack for the CD changer/nav)

What's behind that carpeting now

Vs before (not my car)

New battery location, with the washer tank visible (pump not installed yet)

And in the area where the battery used to be installed, it turns out BMW makes a deeper storage bin! Key pictured for scale.

Some integrated bit….

Front fog light button is now brake light kills (cluster indicator still reminds me when this is on, stock functionality no longer required because I’ll be doing a CSL bumper)

Rear fog light button kills all reverse brake lights (with cluster indicator to remind me when this is on)

e39 high intensity wash button is wired up to activate M track mode (currently requires CSL/ZCP MK60 unit)

HK button is now Laser jammer power (retains memory of on/off from last drive, and power status light)

And the interior all back together, minus seats/airbag. Probably looks like nothing to most of you, but having been looking at chassis and wiring for the last couple months, this is like magic to me

I'm pretty pleased with the new, black gauge faces, too!

Huge thanks to Terra for dealing with my stream of conscious questions/thoughts/ramblings as I did this project

Old Thu, Jul-05-2018, 06:53:50 PM   #107
skillzo1

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obioban View Post
Other than seats (and airbag-- waiting to make sure the steering wheel is straight to put that in), the car is finally back together. I'll be putting at least the driver seat in today or tomorrow.

This project spiraled WAY out of control. As in, I spent 100+ hours on this. I'm not going to say I'm glad I did it (sooooo much work), but I am going to say I'm super excited for the results!

-remove all factory stereo modules, the stereo wiring harness, and all factory stereo mount brackets. Replace with Avin (which has all the stock module functionality built in) and make a new (tiny) wiring harness for the speakers, plugging them directly into the Avin
-do the above without altering the factory chassis harness at all. I did this entirely, 100% with the Avin only connecting to the chassis with the factory 7 pin chassis to stereo harness plug behind the dash. My goal here was to not have the chassis electronics be compromised in any way. This harness has everything you need for the Avin-- ibus, interior light dimming, ignition power, antenna power
-fuse all aftermarket electronic systems through new fuses in the factory fuse box. No vampire clips or inline fuses exist on my car any longer
-wrap all wiring bundles (OE and aftermarket) in OEM fabric tape, secure all wiring to the chassis with OE mounting hardware.
-relocate battery to the "drug bin" The idea here was that the 5.7 lithium polymer battery I'm running isn't meaningfully contributing to weight distribution, but the 8 lb battery cable that runs from the rear of the car to the front is making it heavier.
-relocate and downsize the washer tank to the drug bin. This car is no longer a DD, and never sees winter use, so I don't need anything like a full size washer tank... but I also don't want none, in a pinch. So, I have a ~1 pint tank in the drug bin now, as well. With the stock tank being in the front bumper, this should restore some of the 50/50 lost from not having a heavy battery in the trunk. It'll also make it easier to add brake ducting down the road.

And, add a ton of functionality via the Avin Avant 3, which is the first head unit that's look stock enough that I was comfortable running it in my car:
-CarPlay
-Waze

Some pics...

Vs before (not my car)

And in the area where the battery used to be installed, it turns out BMW makes a deeper storage bin! Key pictured for scale.

Some integrated bit….

Front fog light button is now brake light kills (cluster indicator still reminds me when this is on, stock functionality no longer required because I’ll be doing a CSL bumper)

Rear fog light button kills all reverse brake lights (with cluster indicator to remind me when this is on)

e39 high intensity wash button is wired up to activate M track mode (currently requires CSL/ZCP MK60 unit)

HK button is now Laser jammer power (retains memory of on/off from last drive, and power status light)

And the interior all back together, minus seats/airbag. Probably looks like nothing to most of you, but having been looking at chassis and wiring for the last couple months, this is like magic to me

Huge thanks to Terra for dealing with my stream of conscious questions/thoughts/ramblings as I did this project

Wow great work

Skillzo's Build...http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=487768
Jump to top skillzo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Jul-06-2018, 01:51:04 AM   #108
Cronenberged

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapelle View Post
Looking forward to see how this progresses. I’ve been on the fence on this upgrade, in lieu of all the other cool stuff on sale over the holidays.
I'm having my my entire chassis wiring harness thinned. I'll see if they can keep the stereo stuff separate for for comparison. My car was pre worry for every option.
Old Fri, Jul-06-2018, 06:43:45 PM   #109
I M Legend

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obioban View Post

-CarPlay
-Waze

Some pics...

Vs before (not my car)

Some integrated bit….

So what's the verdict on the AVIN 3? What are the pros / cons? What are you favorite apps?
Old Fri, Jul-06-2018, 06:46:07 PM   #110
twentyseven
@itsmejonnyv

United States

Bruh did you really just quote every photo

'04 Jet Black + Cinnamon ///M3 SMG coupe
V-CSL, BBS CH, Öhlins R&T, Supersprint, Brembo GT, custom Z4M seats, AVIN, G5R projector swap

'06 Jet Black + Black ///M3 SMG coupe
100% Stock. 48k mi ***FOR SALE***

'06 Alpine White + Cinnamon ///M3 ZCP 6MT coupe
Built motor by ACE performance, VF Stage 3, (610whp@16psi), KW V3
Jump to top twentyseven is online now   Reply With Quote