BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Fri, Nov-10-2017, 03:23:55 AM   #11
cagan1984

United States

Default Re: Prepping for 6MT swap, parts list sanity check?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turb02 View Post
Based on my conversation with RTD on Facebook, they recommend either upgraded trans and or engine mounts.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

When are you planning to finish this work? Good luck with the project I am sure it will turn out great...I would love to receive some feedback after your experience

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jump to top cagan1984 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Fri, Nov-10-2017, 03:25:59 AM   #12
Turb02

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by cagan1984 View Post
When are you planning to finish this work? Good luck with the project I am sure it will turn out great...I would love to receive some feedback after your experience

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks. Just picked up the other SMG trans today, so I'd really like to solidify my parts list and start throwing money at the internet, so I can get started.

I'll be updating (and asking questions) through the process, I'm sure.

Active Autowerke Stage 2-AA Headers-Meisterschaft-Vorsteiner-Brembo-BBS-CSL
Jump to top Turb02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Nov-10-2017, 04:20:31 PM   #13
Turb02

In the garage:

United States

So, this weekend Ill be compiling this list along with a few other items (wires for EWS, etc...) into a spreadsheet and sending it to getbmwparts to see what their price will be.

Ive just ordered the Vibra Tech trans mounts.

Am I missing anything that wasnt already pointed out? Ill be sure to triple verify the quantities I order.

Old Sun, Nov-12-2017, 06:34:46 PM   #14
Turb02

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by aznbo187 View Post
Your call - I went the exact same route as you had planned originally less than 4 days ago. This is my second SMG-6MT car, previous one had non-machined bellhousing with CAE shifter + lockout.

Looks like you didn't highlight the clutch pedal sensor, I think that's needed. I didn't install my GPS either. I changed my CPV at the same time, clutch, engine mounts and upgraded transmission mounts (Rogue), and braided clutch line. You also need to figure out coding - someone with autologic would be the easiest route.

The CAE setup worked good, but it had the lock-out. The RTD without lock out and no detents, in my opinion is too vague. The built in spring without the physical lock-out feedback along with the extended shifter and higher pivot point makes things really damn close. Not that it's not do-able, but the detents are there for a good reason - I didn't think so at first either, but after installing it and rowing through gears, I drove down the next day to pick up a bellhousing from kevin.

Looking through the parts list, I dont see which sensor youre referring to. Is it #11 in the picture (Stop Light Switch)?

The CPV was replaced before I purchased the car. A receipt to verify it was done, was provided.

For the SS clutch line, it replaces #10 (pressure hose) correct? If so, Ill definitely replace it with the SS hose, thanks for the tip.

As it sits right now, before getting a quote from GetBMWparts, my total is roughly $950. This includes a new Guibo, CSB, and rear main seal kit. But does not include the RTD shifter and DSSR. Ive already purchased the Vibra-tech trans mounts and trans support, and the SMG transmission, so Im betting Ill have around $2500 in this swap.

Ill try to sell my SMG stuff to recoup some of the spent money, so if anyone is looking for a SMG setup, let me know. I replaced the SMG motor less than 8K miles ago with a Burkhart Engineering motor. I'll create a for sale thread once the car is up and running.

Im sending the list to GetBMWparts today, for a quote, so if anyone thinks Im missing anything, please let me know soonest.
Attached Files
File Type: xlsx SMG Parts Quote.xlsx (35.6 KB, 4 views)

Old Wed, Nov-22-2017, 04:20:30 PM   #15
Turb02

In the garage:

United States

So...parts are on order and have slowly been rolling in. Ive received the Vibra-tech trans mounts and cross member, and some bolts and washers from getbmwparts.

The bulk of my order was with ECS as they offered free shipping along with the military discount.

Still waiting for a xmas sale on the RTD shifter...

Ill be trailering my car to my dads property this weekend, where I will house it for this conversion.

With this, comes a question. Are there any concerns with leaving this on a 2 post lift for an extended period of time? Does having the car on 4 small contact points from the lift arms cause any issues with suspension geometry or structural integrity? Since I have 3 kids that tent to take up most of my time throughout the week, and the weather will be getting worse as Winter sets in, this isnt going to be a weekend project for me.

Old Tue, Dec-26-2017, 05:13:22 PM   #16
cagan1984

United States

Quote:
Based on my conversation with RTD on Facebook, they recommend either upgraded trans and or engine mounts.

Do you need to do wiring harness if you go this route? Or buy a manual transmission wiring harness?
Old Tue, Dec-26-2017, 05:26:33 PM   #17
Turb02

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by cagan1984 View Post
Do you need to do wiring harness if you go this route? Or buy a manual transmission wiring harness?
What do you mean? Ill be keeping the same wiring harness thats in the car right now. There will be a few wires that need to be tapped into still, but nothing needs to be rewired.

Waiting on my RTD shifter to arrive now. Hasnt been shipped yet, but Ive placed my order.

Old Tue, Dec-26-2017, 05:31:09 PM   #18
cagan1984

United States

Quote:
What do you mean? Ill be keeping the same wiring harness thats in the car right now. There will be a few wires that need to be tapped into still, but nothing needs to be rewired.

Waiting on my RTD shifter to arrive now. Hasnt been shipped yet, but Ive placed my order.
I was planning to get a new manual transmission wiring...should I do that is my exact question?

I have decided to go this route as well...either buy RTD or Cae...is the parts list that you pulled through should I get the red ones highlighted
Old Tue, Dec-26-2017, 05:37:21 PM   #19
Turb02

In the garage:

United States

I would recommend you look through both the DIY thread on this swap, and the addendum thread to validate all the parts needed for the swap.

I dont want to say my list is EVERYTHING thats needed...probably close to 95%, maybe? I know for a fact that I missed the shifter rod joint and the pin that holds it, in my initial parts list, so I ordered that part last week.

Old Tue, Dec-26-2017, 06:12:04 PM   #20
cagan1984

United States

Quote:
I would recommend you look through both the DIY thread on this swap, and the addendum thread to validate all the parts needed for the swap.

I dont want to say my list is EVERYTHING thats needed...probably close to 95%, maybe? I know for a fact that I missed the shifter rod joint and the pin that holds it, in my initial parts list, so I ordered that part last week.
Cool man...I checked your parts now...I think you covered more than 95% of them...there might be couple missing.