BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>
Loading


Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.


View Poll Results: What would you do if you had to make the same decision?
Part out 10 16.67%
Use parts for swap 29 48.33%
Fix the car 21 35.00%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Fri, Jan-13-2017, 06:51:22 PM   #31
oleg232000
e46AllDay
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 341
In the garage:
Reputation: 0 oleg232000 is on a distinguished road
Location: Los Angeles, CA

United States




Default Re: What would you do?

Honestly, i dont know if this was addressed earlier....but if it were up to me, the first question would be finances. This being my daily driver, I would have it repaired asap. On second hand, how much do you have into the car. If you got it for dirt cheap (under 10-12k) then i would get it fixed. If your into it closer to 20k, well then burn it and get insurance money LOL. jk. But at the higher prices, if you have another car to drive and are not pressed for money, then take the engine and put it into an E30. Or the e46 wagon idea which would be far cheaper than an e30 i would imagine. If your pressed for cash, and just want a fresh car, then part it out and start anew
Jump to top oleg232000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Fri, Jan-13-2017, 06:52:54 PM   #32
icecream
Registered Apples
 
icecream's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Age: 13
Posts: 2,297
In the garage:
Reputation: 0 icecream is on a distinguished road
Location: PNW

United States




Default Re: What would you do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obioban View Post
There's nothing less sporty about the wagon than the coupe. In fact, comparing non M to non M, the wagon chassis is actually stiffer than the coupe chassis (making it more sporty).

If you enjoy the M3 for the driving experience, rather than the image of being in the M3, the and M3 converted wagon lets you experience it more frequently--more back seat space, more back seat accessibility, more trunk space, more trunk space accessibility. And, the an M3 converted wagon weights the same as the stock M3 coupe, with the cargo net and spare tire (a huge benefit on its own) installed. It's a more functionally versatile body style with the same driving experience.

I'd be interested to hear why you think it's moving in the wrong direction.
Lots of better suited cars to fit that bill. If I was concerned with all of that I would get the m5 and call it a day. Or an S4, or an AMG wagon or an x550 or an x5m or range rover SPORT or an e90 m3 etc.
And again, the sedan/wagon are not very pretty to look at to me but to each their own. One of the best things about the M3 too are the looks. I will never understand how people go gaga over these things. Not hating but I dont see the logic.
Jump to top icecream is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Jan-13-2017, 06:57:03 PM   #33
Obioban
Moderator
 
Obioban's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 35,319
In the garage:
Reputation: 54 Obioban has a spectacular aura about
Location: SE PA

United States




Default Re: What would you do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by icecream View Post
Lots of better suited cars to fit that bill. If I was concerned with all of that I would get the m5 and call it a day. Or an S4, or an AMG wagon or an x550 or an x5m or range rover SPORT or an e90 m3 etc.
And again, the sedan/wagon are not very pretty to look at to me but to each their own. One of the best things about the M3 too are the looks. I will never understand how people go gaga over these things. Not hating but I dont see the logic.
Except, all those cars are a significantly less sporty driving experience than the e46m (converted wagon). I have your car of choice, as well (M5)-- it's a heavy/boaty/large thing compared to the e46 M (wagon). Whenever possible, I make my wife drive it and I take the M3T. And AMG wagon, X550, X5M, or range rover sport are all MUCH less sporty driving experiences-- I'd be miserable dailying any of them.

Going back to the M5 (since I have one and I believe it was your number 1 on that list, from your wording), the M3T is more practical and more sporty. That's the logic.
__________________

Current Cars: 2005 IR/IR M3, 2001 LMB/blk M5, 03 530i, 04 M3 wagon, and some boring stuff
Past cars: 04 M3, 96 M3, S50B32 e36 M3 CM race car
Jump to top Obioban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Jan-13-2017, 09:39:50 PM   #34
Dave B
M3 collector
 
Dave B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 4,093
Reputation: 0 Dave B is on a distinguished road
Location: Miami

Italy




Default Re: What would you do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obioban View Post
Wagon (with fold through) is stiffer than the sedan (with fold through).
Did you mean sedan without? That's what I meant.

But yeah I love the wagon too. And am majorly annoyed with cancer for preventing me from having built one by now. And want there to be fewer of them.

But a large part of that answer was also just how easily and cheaply one could acquire a slicktop sedan vs a good condition wagon. I know there's more work involved in converting say a 2000 323i but I still assume it's quite possible. And there are plenty of those floating around out there.
Jump to top Dave B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Jan-14-2017, 02:01:00 AM   #35
icecream
Registered Apples
 
icecream's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Age: 13
Posts: 2,297
In the garage:
Reputation: 0 icecream is on a distinguished road
Location: PNW

United States




Default Re: What would you do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obioban View Post
Except, all those cars are a significantly less sporty driving experience than the e46m (converted wagon). I have your car of choice, as well (M5)-- it's a heavy/boaty/large thing compared to the e46 M (wagon). Whenever possible, I make my wife drive it and I take the M3T. And AMG wagon, X550, X5M, or range rover sport are all MUCH less sporty driving experiences-- I'd be miserable dailying any of them.

Going back to the M5 (since I have one and I believe it was your number 1 on that list, from your wording), the M3T is more practical and more sporty. That's the logic.
Okay. But you will never convince me it is a good idea haha.
Jump to top icecream is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Jan-14-2017, 02:26:37 AM   #36
Jazzkat
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 334
In the garage:
Reputation: 0 Jazzkat is on a distinguished road
Location: SoCal

United States




Default Re: What would you do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by icecream View Post
e30 swap. I just do not understand this forums infatuation with wagons and sedans. What a horrible waste of money IMO.
or, 635csi swap. That would be cool.
635csi would be the ultimate.
Jump to top Jazzkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Jan-14-2017, 02:43:35 AM   #37
asma123
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 70
Reputation: 0 asma123 is on a distinguished road

Canada




Default Re: What would you do?

I'm in the same boat as you. Subframe failed (it was reinforced though) and spot welds ripping from the floor panel. (Check my thread for the 2 pics I took http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=563955)
Anyway as I've given it some thought and I'm leaning towards repairing it.
My option were to
A) repair it
B) sell as is full disclosure
C) part out
The reason why I'm leaning towards repair is just because I enjoy the vehicle. I get compliments all the time. Looks and sounds mean. Just gets the ladies wet LOL

Last edited by asma123; Sat, Jan-14-2017 at 03:38:37 AM.
Jump to top asma123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Jan-16-2017, 12:20:21 AM   #38
2006E46M3fan
Registered User
 
2006E46M3fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 1,235
In the garage:
Reputation: 0 2006E46M3fan is on a distinguished road
Location: Connecticut

United States




Default Re: What would you do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obioban View Post
There's nothing less sporty about the wagon than the coupe. In fact, comparing non M to non M, the wagon chassis is actually stiffer than the coupe chassis (making it more sporty).

If you enjoy the M3 for the driving experience, rather than the image of being in the M3, the and M3 converted wagon lets you experience it more frequently--more back seat space, more back seat accessibility, more trunk space, more trunk space accessibility. And, the an M3 converted wagon weights the same as the stock M3 coupe, with the cargo net and spare tire (a huge benefit on its own) installed. It's a more functionally versatile body style with the same driving experience.

I'd be interested to hear why you think it's moving in the wrong direction.
I get your point and for ME the m3 is not a dialy so i don't care about anything that was listed. For me, a wagon just looks terrible in any form. To me looks alone would be a no go. No lambo wagons, rari wagons, viper wagons, vette wagons, etc. I'm not one to shy away from the crowd and do what i want to with a vehicle (hell I lowered my 4cyl camry se sport juat because lol) but like I said, more power to anyone that disagrees, it's the one thing I love about the car community.
__________________

Last edited by 2006E46M3fan; Mon, Jan-16-2017 at 07:29:07 PM.
Jump to top 2006E46M3fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Jan-16-2017, 06:14:11 PM   #39
loser
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 156
In the garage:
Reputation: 0 loser is on a distinguished road
Location: Santa Monica

United States




Default Re: What would you do?

E30 Touring S54 swap!!
Jump to top loser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Jan-18-2017, 08:52:09 PM   #40
Arson8
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 327
In the garage:
Reputation: 0 Arson8 is on a distinguished road
Location: Burbank

United States




Default Re: What would you do?

E46 Wagon!
Jump to top Arson8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT. The time now is 02:07:04 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
M3Forum.com and M3forum.net is in no way sponsored, endorsed or affiliated by or with BMW NA / BMW AG or any of it's subsidiaries or vendors.
BMW and M3 (E90 M3 | E92 M3 | E93 M3 | E46 M3 | E36 M3 | E30 M3) are registered trademarks of BMW AG.
M3Forum Terms of Service
Copyright 1999-2017 M3Forum.com
Discussing What would you do? in the E46 M3 (2001-2006) Forum - Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006. at BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X)