BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Mon, Jun-27-2016, 08:15:30 PM   #31
B_Engineering

In the garage:

Germany

Default Re: SMG Pump Motor Replacement On Car - DIY

In our case we have chosen the same concept due to the existing attachment geometries and due to the costs.

Please do not forget that there are a few years of development between the OE motor and new one. This is one of the facts why our supplier is able to work with smaller sizes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr M3an M3 View Post
Forgive me if my question is redundant or just a bad question. I am pretty ignorant to the Ins-and-outs of these DC motors and am trying to understand them better. Is there any reason that these motors remain to be brush motors, rather than upgrading to a brushless design? Is there any reason or negatives to this motor being smaller than the OE motor (will it be working harder and thus wear out quicker?) Once again, sorry if these are poorly formulated questions. I am sure they suggest my lack of knowledge about what is being discussed. However, I appreciate you (BE) making these rebuild kits available to us. Your website has been favorited and will receive my business in the event my SMG ever gives me issues. Your products are a life saver to us SMG guys.
Jump to top B_Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Mon, Jun-27-2016, 08:55:50 PM   #32
M3home

United States

Brushless system require the commutation system to be part of an external controller what would a new component. Also it must be mapped like a calibration on an engine, is really very complex and I believe not practical.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jump to top M3home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Jun-28-2016, 01:25:58 AM   #33
RedM3/4

United States

You don't want to mix chf11s with ATF, and I don't know/haven't researched chf11s properties, but if their oil has the same properties and not that of ATF, it's likely fine in that regard.
But yes, if it's thicker, it takes more torque. For the same motor (theirs is actually physically smaller) it would generate MORE heat as startup amps and run amps would be higher.
IF (pretty sure it's not) the motor was brushless, or had way superior magnets or something that would let it run cooler even though it likely has less mass to dissipate the heat, it may be ok. But other than their generalized assurances that "motor technology has advanced", there is no way for us to know.
The pump isn't the only reason they spec'd chf11s; I doubt it would be noticeable, but the cylinders would move a bit slower too (pressure range is same, oil is thicker). I'll never use the oil and would probably just try to source the existing dsc style motor if the need arises- sources are on this forum but I can't seem to find them.
This company's solution may be superior to the OE design, but there's just no data - and for me, not enough operating history, to support the changes they made. If they had curves on the OE motor and their solution, that might help, but guessing they'd have to get the OE data empirically with a new or near new OE motor.

By the way, NICE DIY OP!

ADS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braymond141 View Post
Nice DIY and video. This may come in handy, but so far my SMG has operated flawlessly.

I'm a little suspect of the fluid. Do you know what it is? CHF11s has some pretty strict cautions about not mixing it with ATF (CHF is used in place of ATF in the power steering system for cold climate cars).

I might be off; the thicker oil will net pressure more quickly, but doesn't this put more strain on the motor with less frequency?

Last edited by RedM3/4; Tue, Jun-28-2016 at 03:07:14 AM. Reason: DIY shoutout
Jump to top RedM3/4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Jun-29-2016, 01:39:48 AM   #34
HurricaneM3

In the garage:

United States

Awesome! Thanks for posting this! My SMG has been working flawlessly but eventually Ill need to replace the motor and this video makes it look relatively easy.

2006 Convertible with SMG
Alpine White on Cinnamon
Jump to top HurricaneM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Jun-30-2016, 03:47:00 AM   #35
Nicholas1996

Greece

Thanks for posting! Was just talking to someone about the BE stuff. Glad to see it work

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk
AEM Infinity.
Jump to top Nicholas1996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Jun-30-2016, 01:36:19 PM   #36
svre46

In the garage:

United States

Thanks for sharing!
06.5' Aston Martin V8V Coupe (Toy)
16' X1 xDrive28i (Wife's)
Jump to top svre46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Jul-02-2016, 05:15:12 PM   #37
Steve M3

United States

Quick update. I've had the pump installed for a week now and a few hundred miles. It's been pretty hot but I have yet to see a cog light after changing the pump and SMG oil. I'll keep updating this as I go and let everyone know if I run into any problems.

The oil seems to be debated the most in this thread. What's interesting is that when I originally swapped the motor, I didn't change the oil. After about two hours of driving the car hard, the cog light came on and I got a neutral drop. After the car cooled off, I changed the oil after siphoning out what I could and I haven't had a problem since. I am not sure if my smg oil simply needed to be changed, or if the new oil made a difference; however, I do know that I haven't had an issue since I changed it.

Now I'm wondering if simply changing the oil would be the first step before changing out the motor, especially if you only get cog lights every now and then.
Jump to top Steve M3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Jul-03-2016, 06:39:46 AM   #38
cscat87

In the garage:

United States

I haven't gone through the whole checkout process, but what is the total cost in US dollars? ETA transit times to the US? Will you have any US distributors, or are you interested in having any? I'd imagine having these readily available on this side of the pond would be a huge plus for us.
2014 320i Jalopnik Edition
2011 Ram 3500
Jump to top cscat87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Jul-03-2016, 12:36:56 PM   #39
bmwninja1985

United States

Yeah it sucks when US Customs get involve. Mine reach state side in three days but sat at customs for a whole week. I believe they are interested in having person for this side of the pond
Jump to top bmwninja1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Jul-04-2016, 03:19:33 PM   #40
B_Engineering

In the garage:

Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by cscat87 View Post
I haven't gone through the whole checkout process, but what is the total cost in US dollars? ETA transit times to the US? Will you have any US distributors, or are you interested in having any? I'd imagine having these readily available on this side of the pond would be a huge plus for us.
Thank you very much for your interest in our products. Please find our latest prices on our website http://burkhart-engineering.com/54160en Due to varying exchange rates we do not offer prices in USD right now. But of course we are able to charge you in USD. Please just PM us or send us a mail to info@burkhart-enginnering.com for a current price offer. You are able to pay with wire transfer, paypal and credit card. We ship with DHL, which is very reliable within the USA. Shipping costs are 62 at the moment, including insurance. Please find our latest shipping terms on our website as well. Transit time Germany to US is around 6-8 working days. Of course you will a link to track your parcel after it has left our company.
If you have further questions feel free to ask anytime.

Best regards from Germany
Johannes
Jump to top B_Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote