BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > Misc > Off Topic
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

Off Topic Place to discuss this and that. Note: We also have "request to join" forums: Guns and Fitness.
(Threads/posts inside may contain material that is NSFW / offensive)

Old Fri, Oct-30-2015, 12:45:52 AM   #1
Frank Ricard
You're my boy, Blue!

United States

Default The Future: Self Driving Cars

My alarm goes off in the morning, which is linked to my car service. They automatically estimate how long until the driverless car needs to be at my house to bring me to work, and they schedule it. I walk out of my house, and within 2 mins the car is there. In my reclining seat I can sit back and watch bloomberg and get to all my email from the night on my way to work, free from the dumb annoyance of morning traffic.

Why isnt this reality already. I cant wait. My body is ready.

Best excerpt:

Quote:
But the technological differences are really just the beginning of the disruption Google has planned. In Google’s world, you won’t just quit driving cars, you’ll also quit owning them. Forget about investing in an expensive and depreciating asset that sits idle 97 percent of every day. Fleets of autonomous vehicles will circulate through your town, pick you up when you summon one via smartphone—or smartwatch or brain implant or whatever—drop you off, and move on to the next fare.

In other words, Google doesn’t want to sell you a consumer product, but a mobility service, says Sebastian Thrun, a Stanford professor of artificial intelligence who ran Google’s car project for four years until 2013. “Obviously, once you get into the pure services world, that’s the end of Detroit,” he says.

Reuss lets out a staccato laugh at the prospect. “I don’t know about that,” he says. “That’s a pretty dramatic comment.” And yet he accepts the premise that car sales will dramatically diminish as personal transportation becomes more service-based. In his vision of the future, GM will play in both worlds, producing autonomous cars to be used as robo-taxis and human-controlled models for the diminishing segment of society that will still wants to drive. It’s a risky strategy of reinvention, and that’s why Reuss acknowledges GM will need partners to pull it off.

One thing is certain: If GM stays with its current car-selling model, it’ll go out of business. “Yep, we’re done,” he says of sticking to business as usual. “I like being in those kinds of situations. It’s kind of like Apollo 13.” He means the part about the resourceful astronauts fixing their broken capsule while hurtling through outer space, not the part about how they never made it to the moon.
http://www.bloomberg.com/features/20...riverless-car/
Jump to top Frank Ricard is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Fri, Oct-30-2015, 01:30:57 AM   #2
///M3 Madness
If I ever get out of here . . .

New Zealand

Default Re: The Future: Self Driving Cars

Don't we have those now -- taxis?

The Golden Age of DTM
Jump to top ///M3 Madness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Oct-30-2015, 01:52:30 AM   #3
12vElectronics

United States

Don't we have those now -- Uber?
Jump to top 12vElectronics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Oct-30-2015, 01:55:20 AM   #4
Frank Ricard
You're my boy, Blue!

United States

If you think the future will be akin to a taxi (especially considering modern day validity in every city and pricing) you are crazy.

This is will be how you travel. Not something for the wealthy.
Old Fri, Oct-30-2015, 02:45:15 AM   #5
rave426
Kinda almost had a 3sum

United States

When they probe they can deal with Houston, LA, and NY traffic....i'm down

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Fri, Oct-30-2015, 04:07:51 AM   #6
Voss
Function over Form

In the garage:

United States

You still have to deal with traffic, tolls, stop lights, and long commute times though. It will definitely take the stress out of actually driving, but people have commuter trains which combines the ability to sit back and read the news without the bumper to bumper road rage.
Old Fri, Oct-30-2015, 05:08:00 AM   #7
Eau Rouge
No manuel no care.

In the garage:
Reputation: 0 Eau Rouge is a glorious beacon of lightEau Rouge is a glorious beacon of light

United States

Google wants to first get you to pay forever for something that you could purchase to own without "rent" and all the while it could "ban" you from receiving its service on a whim. A check of the EULA or equivalent is bound to validate as much. #fcukgoogleanditsfanbois

kthxbye
Quote:
tenfifteen: We have a bunch of kids who can add but not think, and that's the value of educating kids in the humanities, history, etc.
Teaching what's merely essential/practical for a person to function in society is a sad and low bar to set for educating our kids.
Jump to top Eau Rouge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Oct-30-2015, 07:07:19 AM   #8
Mash3
Look out below!

United States

Owning a car will be for the wealthy. Like owning and riding horses is now. Might be a great thing; all the shitty drivers will be staring at some screen, drooling, in an autonomous car in the neat and orderlupy and boring A-Car Congo line, whilst we enthusiasts whiz by them in our P918s, enjoying the open roads.
Jump to top Mash3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Oct-30-2015, 01:20:57 PM   #9
Frank Ricard
You're my boy, Blue!

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voss View Post
You still have to deal with traffic, tolls, stop lights, and long commute times though. It will definitely take the stress out of actually driving, but people have commuter trains which combines the ability to sit back and read the news without the bumper to bumper road rage.
Thats a reality in what, 5 cities in America right now? And we don't have the infrastructure to increase it. This is much more realistic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mash3 View Post
Owning a car will be for the wealthy. Like owning and riding horses is now. Might be a great thing; all the shitty drivers will be staring at some screen, drooling, in an autonomous car in the neat and orderlupy and boring A-Car Congo line, whilst we enthusiasts whiz by them in our P918s, enjoying the open roads.
I think this is pretty close to what will happen.
Old Fri, Oct-30-2015, 01:23:36 PM   #10
M3Dom

In the garage:

United States

I'm selling my s class cause it basically drives it self. I also love lamp.

https://www.instagram.com/d_sicily/

Porshapwr:I thought every day was steak and BJ day?
Ghost : "She'll prolly suck your balls so hard they'll hatch"
Ben Z.;The Ultimate Driving Simulation Machine
LALaw :OP has been surprised by everything that's happened since the 13th Amendment
Cars : some verts some bikes and a 2012 veyron

Jump to top M3Dom is offline   Reply With Quote