BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Fri, May-18-2018, 02:58:32 AM   #1
ryivnx

In the garage:

Russian Federation

Default Review of B spec tune + E85 (335 whp and 265 wheel torque - dyno charts included)

Alright guys. Its been a while since I wrote anything here, but this occasion calls for a post.

This is a review of Buildjournal's B spec tune and Advanced Fuel Dynamics E85 ethanol kit.

Disclosures:
I have none.
I went to buildjournal's B spec tune because my previous tune was making my idle rough after I installed eVenturi and car would stall at traffic lights. After much research and replacing everything I could, I flashed the car with Euro tune + B spec out of desperation whicn solved the problem in my case.

I got 10% off on the AFD Proflex kit which anyone can be qualified for if you use a code posted on Buioldjournal's website

I then went to EAS in Anaheim, CA where I always do my dyno runs to have the car strapped down and measure power. EAS and I have no financial or any other affiliation.

Car:
My car is a 2002 E46 M3 with the following "mods"
- stock Euro headers + Euro catalytic converters
- it was originally an SMG that was converted to 6MT by Kaiv
- Euro 6MT software installed as a base
- eVenturi with updated cone filter
- relocated TMS IAT temp sensor
- Mishimoto silicone intake elbow
- Mishimoto electric fan conversion and stock fan delete
- stock suspension
- Apex ARC-8 wheels
- car sits at 111k miles at this time
- rod bearings and new cooling system was installed at 100k miles

NOTE:
I do not have my car's baseline bone stock dyno run.
The most baseline run I have is when my car had Dinan Stage 4 tune (the one that comes with BBTB, Air intake etc except I did not have any of the hardware).
That baseline run was at 291 whp on the same dyno, with the same Steve at the same EAS shop back 4 years ago.
This probably means that my car would have ran about 280-285 whp stock which is normal for this engine in stock configuration.

Conditions where car is tested:
- all runs have been done on the same pump 91 gas from the same gas station here in SoCal
- I specifically tried to pick a time of the day when the ambient air temp was 75-80F (usually mornings here in Cali)
- Dyno is DynoJet, with the same settings, in the same shop, car strapped the same way, same number of fans, hood open on all runs, and dyno operated by the same awesome person - Steve.

Initial impressions from previous tune (TTFS) to B spec:
Wow. B spec is an awesome tune. While the peak power was largely the same, gains in mid range in both torque and hp were significant and I felt them on both butt and actual dyno.
In addition, Oscar (tuner at buildjournal) is an amazing individual, responds quickly, and did 2 iterations on my original B spec tune free of charge. The guy is dedicated, and very honest. Their tune is WAAAYYYY below what the competitors charge, and currently runs at $279.00 – $329.00 per tune.
It is smoother, power feels more lenient and, most importantly, NO MORE STALLING for me at traffic lights (I understand that the stalling issue may not be related to the tunes, but im my case it somehow was).
Their customer service is second to none. Plus they are E46 M3 enthusiasts just like us

So, how did B spec do?
Well, it did quite well. Not only did it solve my idle issues, I had registered consistent gains in mid range both in hp and in torque. In some places the torque was up to +10 ft lbs! And that is usable torque - the one that you daily reach going to work and back.
See below dyno sheets

Time for AFD Proflex E85 kit installation!
Being impressed with Buildjournal, I read their review of AFD E85 fuel kit.
https://thebuildjournal.com/reviews/...lex-commander/

I gotta say, I was SUPER skeptical. Now that I had a normally running car, I did not want to mess anything up. However, both Oscar (at buildjournal) and the guys at AFD were quite knowledgeable and helpful and I decided to give it a go.

Ordered the kit, was $720 with the 10% discount. Arrived 2 days alter. All parts are exrtremely quality pieces, the sensor is made by GM (probably for their FlexFuel vehicles). I went ahead with the installation which took me 2 hours from start to finish.
Hardest part was hiding the extra wires that would connect to the original injector ports. The excess wiring is a little annoying and cannot be fully completely hidden in the original plastic harness holder. So the zip ties had to be employed

I went to the gas station near me that sells E85, and filled up 9.5 gallons for $26. That felt pretty awesome, ha.
I pulled up my AFD app, connected to the Proflex Commander via bluetooth and it told me I had a 47% ethanol mix.
I then went for a spirited drive
Car ran smooth, idled very well, revved quicker, pulled stronger on top.
Being a skeptic myself, however, I could not trust my butt dyno or AFDs advertised +20 hp gain on their website.
So, I went to EAS to see Steve and his dyno (this would be my 4th dyno on this car at this shop).

Strapped her down, and did 4 pulls. Goddamn. I could not believe my eyes.
Car laid down 324 whp!!! In my mind I thought "I just had 305 whp 2 days ago!"
This was achieved on 47% ethanol as my sensor told me.

So, I pulled out more ethanol and mixed it to 57%.
The car put down a whopping 335 whp. Wait, whaattt?!?!?!? Yup, 335 whp. Holy hell!! Steve and I were so shocked that we did 2 more runs, still 334-335 whp with very consistent curves.
I am simply blown away.
These results are with stock internal, stock euro exhaust and a total investment of $1800 (eVenturi + B spec + E85 kit).

Since most of you are skeptics, I am providing a dyno sheet of 3 of my runs in below post.

Personal conclusions:
There are many ways to get power from these cars. My car is a daily driver. I put 60 miles per day on it, every day.
So, I needed non-track vehicle that is comfortable, yet, when you punch it it had to have power.
I did not want a supercharger (I had one on E36 M3 years back) and wanted to stay NA.
I did not want to have a loud 3.5" exhaust
I also did not want to stroke the engine nor spend gazzilions of dollars

So, I went with the following:
- eVenturi for cool induction noise
- B spec + E85 for power
- Don't need anything else. period.

Here is a video of my car on the dyno.
Thanks to Buildjournal for posting it on their website

Last edited by ryivnx; Tue, May-22-2018 at 02:26:10 AM.
Jump to top ryivnx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Fri, May-18-2018, 03:00:33 AM   #2
ryivnx

In the garage:

Russian Federation

Default Review of B spec tune + E85 (dyno charts included)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by ryivnx; Fri, May-18-2018 at 03:43:31 AM.
Old Fri, May-18-2018, 03:03:38 AM   #3
ryivnx

In the garage:

Russian Federation

Default Re: Review of B spec tune + E85 (dyno charts included)

[B]Dyno graphs:

First is comparison of Dinan, then TTFS, then B spec.
- B spec run is green

And here is the money: B spec + E85
- running 57% ethanol in the tank as seen on the AFD app
- On this run B spec is in blue

Last edited by ryivnx; Fri, May-18-2018 at 08:01:04 PM.
Old Fri, May-18-2018, 03:07:24 AM   #4
tjkenny15

In the garage:

United States

solid gains! Congrats. Amazing what that E85 can do
Old Fri, May-18-2018, 03:09:50 AM   #5
ryivnx

In the garage:

Russian Federation

also note that in Cali because of our crappy 91 gas, the car was pulling timing up on top. This can be seen even with B spec tune, however, ethanol solved that.

The max gains (335 whp) were obtained at 57% ethanol concentration.
Old Fri, May-18-2018, 03:38:17 AM   #6
Kwakjoe

In the garage:

United States

Looks good. I wonder what the downsides of using ethanol are.
Old Fri, May-18-2018, 03:41:47 AM   #7
ryivnx

In the garage:

Russian Federation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwakjoe View Post
Looks good. I wonder what the downsides of using ethanol are.

Buildjournal in their review of the kit have addressed the myths and the actual concerns

Old Fri, May-18-2018, 04:52:31 AM   #8
Joshe46

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: Review of B spec tune + E85 (335 whp and 265 wheel torque - dyno charts included)

Ive been so torn about purchasing a b-spec tune. It sounds well worth it but then I think to myself I have a shark injector( I know, Lame ), Dont plan on going catless, already have smg csl parameters so Im not sure what reasons Iíd buy it for
Jump to top Joshe46 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, May-18-2018, 04:57:04 AM   #9
ryivnx

In the garage:

Russian Federation

Default Re: Review of B spec tune + E85 (335 whp and 265 wheel torque - dyno charts included)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshe46 View Post
Ive been so torn about purchasing a b-spec tune. It sounds well worth it but then I think to myself I have a shark injector( I know, Lame ), Dont plan on going catless, already have smg csl parameters so Im not sure what reasons I’d buy it for

I’m not catless either - I have euro catalytic converters.
My car is fully smog legal, with stock euro headers and the rest of exhaust. It does have a growl that I get from eVenturi which is amazing, ha

Last edited by ryivnx; Fri, May-18-2018 at 05:01:56 AM.
Old Fri, May-18-2018, 04:57:52 AM   #10
Braymond141

United States

B-Spec has been fantastic on my previous 02. So glad you went through with all of this Ivan. Awesome gains, and I know you’re loving it so far. Even better documentation! I just purchased an AFD kit too thanks to you
Jump to top Braymond141 is offline   Reply With Quote