BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Wed, Apr-28-2010, 03:15:39 AM   #21
roobe16
Certified Naysayer

Antarctica

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegamanDS View Post
BTW, this is my first dark colored car, what do you guys mean by swirl? I thought black would be easier to keep clean because you can't see as much dirt as white. I owned a silver and a light green car before so this is my first black car. I love the color BTW.
Here's a borrowed picture from one of Petrucci's detail threads (he does amazing detail work). Swirls are the result from normal driving and washing, light particles/dirt being pushed around the paint surface. Swirls are much more evident in bright light, sunlight, and black paint.

Swirls on the bottom half, corrected paint on the top.
Old Wed, Apr-28-2010, 03:26:52 AM   #22
FishingCrue

United States

After you clean it next time, pull into the sun (because no one would ever dare wash a car in direct sunlight) and look closely at the paint. You'll see all kinds of swirls and slight scratches in the clearcoat. You can have them polished off but they'll eventually come back.

Not sure how much you know about detailing but polish is used to even out the paint and get rid of scratches etc, wax is used to protect the finish once it's evened out, and a glaze (optional) is used to make everything shiny. Your best bet is to find a professional detailer to do a full detail, including paint correction. It'll probably run you more than a hundred bucks depending on what they do.
Jump to top FishingCrue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Apr-28-2010, 03:34:38 AM   #23
MegamanDS
Haters keep hatin

In the garage:

Armenia

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishingCrue View Post
After you clean it next time, pull into the sun (because no one would ever dare wash a car in direct sunlight) and look closely at the paint. You'll see all kinds of swirls and slight scratches in the clearcoat. You can have them polished off but they'll eventually come back.

Not sure how much you know about detailing but polish is used to even out the paint and get rid of scratches etc, wax is used to protect the finish once it's evened out, and a glaze (optional) is used to make everything shiny. Your best bet is to find a professional detailer to do a full detail, including paint correction. It'll probably run you more than a hundred bucks depending on what they do.
how often should i do that? I really wanna keep my baby clean! I will google places that do full detail.

Also, is the best way to wash the car by handwash or taking it to a carwash is fine? I know this is probably the stupidest question asked on this forum

2005 SMG, Carbon Black Metallic with black interior, Cold Weather Package, Sports Package, Premium Sound, Navigation, 19" Rims, Bone Stock!
Jump to top MegamanDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Apr-28-2010, 03:45:00 AM   #24
FishingCrue

United States

I wouldn't take a vert through a car wash. Your best bet is a lambswool wash mitt, two five gallon buckets and a grit guard. One of the buckets has car soap NOT DISH SOAP, the other has clean water. Wet down the car, dip the wash mitt in the soap, apply to the car starting from the top and working your way down. Rinse the wash mitt in the clean water (rinse) bucket before you dip it in the soap bucket (this is the two bucket method). Keep the car wet while you wash to prevent water spots. When you're done washing, take the nozzle off the hose and let the water sheet off the car, it'll minimize drying and spotting. Use a leather chamois or microfiber to dry (though some disagree, I use an Absorber and have never found it to scratch and it is faster than just about anything else).

I use invisible glass (aerosol) on the windows. Spray it on and then wipe it off with newsprint. Don't worry about the ink, it's a natural polishing agent and will get your windows cleaner than you ever thought possible.

I use Raggtopp on the top twice a year, it's a two part kit that cleans and then water proofs/protects the top.

I wash every week or two (but I only drive on weekends) but you won't hurt anything by washing too much (as long as you're doing it right)!
Jump to top FishingCrue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Apr-28-2010, 04:04:13 AM   #25
ILLuSioNz X
Built, not bought

In the garage:

India

Quote:
Originally Posted by roobe16 View Post
Here's a borrowed picture from one of Petrucci's detail threads (he does amazing detail work). Swirls are the result from normal driving and washing, light particles/dirt being pushed around the paint surface. Swirls are much more evident in bright light, sunlight, and black paint.

Swirls on the bottom half, corrected paint on the top.
i had no idea swirl marks can be that bad.
Wheels/Tires: 18 TE37SL & Falken RT615K
Suspension: TRM Coilovers 780F/895R|OEM Front & Turner Rear Reinforcement Plates|RE Rear Spring Perch Reinforcement|GC Race FCABs|GC Monoball RTABs|Godspeed LCAs|Turner Monoball Upper CAB|Turner Sway Bars|Turner Subframe Reinforcement (installed by Coinage)|Turner Solid Subframe, Differential, Motor and Transmission Mounts
Braking: Rotora 4-Piston Calipers|S/S Lines|Ate Dot4|Powerslot Rotors|Ferodo DS2500 Brake Pads

The Official Supercharger Kit Maintenance/Replacement Parts Thread (VF, AA and ESS)
Jump to top ILLuSioNz X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, May-12-2010, 04:08:19 AM   #26
Draddy

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLuSioNz X View Post
i had no idea swirl marks can be that bad.
wait till you see "full details" gone wrong. People get trigger happy with a wool pad (most aggressive) and don't know how to properly use it.. end up with all kinds of nasty haloing all over the car.

Car looks great! Enjoy the M.

My Car (sold) -- Old M3
Jump to top Draddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, May-12-2010, 04:29:24 AM   #27
ILLuSioNz X
Built, not bought

In the garage:

India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draddy View Post
wait till you see "full details" gone wrong. People get trigger happy with a wool pad (most aggressive) and don't know how to properly use it.. end up with all kinds of nasty haloing all over the car.

nice, i see what you mean, thanks for the example.
Wheels/Tires: 18 TE37SL & Falken RT615K
Suspension: TRM Coilovers 780F/895R|OEM Front & Turner Rear Reinforcement Plates|RE Rear Spring Perch Reinforcement|GC Race FCABs|GC Monoball RTABs|Godspeed LCAs|Turner Monoball Upper CAB|Turner Sway Bars|Turner Subframe Reinforcement (installed by Coinage)|Turner Solid Subframe, Differential, Motor and Transmission Mounts
Braking: Rotora 4-Piston Calipers|S/S Lines|Ate Dot4|Powerslot Rotors|Ferodo DS2500 Brake Pads

The Official Supercharger Kit Maintenance/Replacement Parts Thread (VF, AA and ESS)
Jump to top ILLuSioNz X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, May-12-2010, 04:40:14 AM   #28
MegamanDS
Haters keep hatin

In the garage:

Armenia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draddy View Post

Do I not see haloing? It looks clean to me...

2005 SMG, Carbon Black Metallic with black interior, Cold Weather Package, Sports Package, Premium Sound, Navigation, 19" Rims, Bone Stock!
Jump to top MegamanDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, May-12-2010, 01:11:00 PM   #29
boostkid

In the garage:

United States

Congrats on the new ride.
94' Supra TT 6 Speed (Baltic Blue) SOLD
99' Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX SOLD
Jump to top boostkid is offline   Reply With Quote