BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > M3Forum Garage > Faults, Fixes and DIY
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

Faults, Fixes and DIY Please share your experience and knowledge with other members by contributing your own DIY, or by helping another member find the elusive fix!

Old Sat, Jul-21-2018, 03:57:48 PM   #501
JamesSJ1

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: DIY: Resistor Mod To Cure Summertime SMG Blues

Sorry to drag up an old thread, but I've been getting P1717 code intermittently for the past week or so. INPA code only showed "177 - MIL-Extern-Info" with a few other things in German that essentially translate to unknown sporadic error.

For the first time ever, car even popped out of gear on the freeway, one of the hottest days of the year after some slower surface street and freeway driving, but still only ~90 degrees. A few times the yellow cog came up it was only ~80 degrees outside and I hadn't been in traffic, so wondering how to check other things.

I have INPA and DIS working...so what tests should I run or measurements should I look at to help diagnose this to accumulator, motor, salmon or resistor mod?

- I have NOT done the resistor mod, but plan to after checking accumulator.
- Salmon relay was replaced around 55k as preventative after getting a yellow cog but nothing else. Currently at 76k miles.
Jump to top JamesSJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Sat, Jul-21-2018, 05:17:36 PM   #502
SteveEvans

United Kingdom

With the car stationary and engine running with INPA connected and on the SMG digital display which shows when the pump is running, keep changing between 1st and 2nd. You should get about 5 changes before the pump runs. Then time how long the pump runs. Should be around 6 seconds. If it’s much less it’s your accumulator. Much more it’s your pump motor. If around 6 then the resistor mod will work for you. You can do this without INPA; it just makes it easier.

Steve
Jump to top SteveEvans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Jul-21-2018, 06:46:21 PM   #503
JamesSJ1

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveEvans View Post
With the car stationary and engine running with INPA connected and on the SMG digital display which shows when the pump is running, keep changing between 1st and 2nd. You should get about 5 changes before the pump runs. Then time how long the pump runs. Should be around 6 seconds. If it’s much less it’s your accumulator. Much more it’s your pump motor. If around 6 then the resistor mod will work for you. You can do this without INPA; it just makes it easier.

Steve
Thanks! Hooked up INPA and ran the SMG tests which also reset adaptations. No errors reported. Did some videos a few times and double checked them after with a timer.

Started car and let it idle for a few minutes while I looked over INPA gauges. With hydraulic temp at only 37c (outdoor temp 77f) it would accumulate pressure from about 49 - 69 bar, and watched for hydraulic pump cycle on the digital display and got only 4 seconds.

Took a quick drive around, came back and hydraulic temp was up to 57c. Pressure would run from 49-73 bar, and counted it just short of 6 seconds. Watched the video with a stopwatch and got 5.7 seconds, so looks like that is okay.

Seems like I'm good to go with a resistor mod.

Last edited by JamesSJ1; Sun, Jul-22-2018 at 11:38:22 PM.
Jump to top JamesSJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote