BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Thu, May-16-2019, 04:33:04 PM   #1
LightlyToasted

Canada

Default what rod bolts am I likely to have?

MY2001, manufactured 04/2001. Block was replaced Nov 2003 at 58k km under warranty due to rod bearing failure which punctured the block.

I'm at 211k km now, and my latest Blackstone report shows elevated lead and copper, so I guess it's my turn for rod bearings.

What rod bolts am I likely to have (orig M11 or newer M10), given that the block was replaced in 2003? I'll find out soon enough when I'm in there, but I'd like to know if I should buy the new bolts prior to taking everything apart.
Jump to top LightlyToasted is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Thu, May-16-2019, 04:34:18 PM   #2
mdavidm3

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: what rod bolts am I likely to have?

If replaced in 03 most likely have newer style bolts. You can always buy both and return the ones you done use

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AKG||Euro Headers||Customized Bimmerworld Race Exhaust||Tilton Twin Disk Clutch||RTD||Mishimoto||Kirk Rollbar||Schroth||Sparco||Momo||OMP||Ground Control||Eibach||JRZ RSpro (rear coilover)||PFC Z31 BBK||G-Loc Brakes||Enkei NT03||Nitto NT01||Custom Chassis Mounted Splitter||AJ Hartman Fulcrum Wing||TTFS Tune||2800 lbs

Trackspec Autosports
MMI Vehicle Systems
Ravenol
G-loc Brakes
IG: marcdavid.m3
Jump to top mdavidm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, May-16-2019, 05:36:47 PM   #3
bimmerfan08

In the garage:

United States

Probably M10 bolts. Worst case scenario: buy them and if you don't need them, just return them.

"The most difficult part of figuring out a car, the engineering, has been done. Repairs and maintenance are simply taking parts apart and putting them back together again." - bimmerfan08
Jump to top bimmerfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, May-16-2019, 05:37:33 PM   #4
bimmerfan08

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavidm3 View Post
If replaced in 03 most likely have newer style bolts. You can always buy both and return the ones you done use

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
New M11 bolts aren't available these days. BMW advises to reuse the M11 bolts in the engine.

"The most difficult part of figuring out a car, the engineering, has been done. Repairs and maintenance are simply taking parts apart and putting them back together again." - bimmerfan08
Jump to top bimmerfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, May-16-2019, 07:20:42 PM   #5
Mr.wReckless

Norway

Apparently I've heard (although I appreciate it's hearsay) the rods and old M11 bolts were a bit inferior to the new M10's.

That being said, I concur and you'll likely have the new M10 bolts in your engine. No worries to get them both and then just return the set you won't need. I've got a set of M11 bolts from ARP on order in preparation of doing my rod bearings, and I'm actually a bit curious what type of bolt I'll find once I dig into the belly of the beast as I have no record of a recall or such.

Regards
Jump to top Mr.wReckless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, May-16-2019, 08:37:18 PM   #6
LightlyToasted

Canada

Thanks for the info - I'll buy M10 bolts. I've assumed that the "hole in the block" listed on the original owner's work order was caused by a rod bearing failure which must have at least destroyed the rod, meaning new rod + new bolts with the new block.

Spun rod bearings typically destroy both the rod and crankshaft, no?
Jump to top LightlyToasted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, May-17-2019, 08:37:05 AM   #7
Mr.wReckless

Norway

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightlyToasted View Post
Spun rod bearings typically destroy both the rod and crankshaft, no?
Yes. I've not heard of a spun bearing that hasn't scored the crank journals.

Regards
Old Sat, May-18-2019, 11:52:51 AM   #8
dutchhome

In the garage:

United States

A quick word of caution if you end up going with M11 ARP bolts. Do not follow their alternate torque option and instead measure the stretch of the bolts directly. I used a torque wrench and a stretch gauge and noticed the torque needed to achieve the correct stretch was quite a bit off from their alternate torque value and each one was different.
Jump to top dutchhome is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, May-18-2019, 01:40:48 PM   #9
Mr.wReckless

Norway

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchhome View Post
A quick word of caution if you end up going with M11 ARP bolts. Do not follow their alternate torque option and instead measure the stretch of the bolts directly. I used a torque wrench and a stretch gauge and noticed the torque needed to achieve the correct stretch was quite a bit off from their alternate torque value and each one was different.
I did a bit of searching around this, as I too have heard about the out of round issue with torquing the ARP bolts. Though I have found a thread where a guy from Lang Racing and fellow forum user tested this and it seemed from his finding the M11 size actually wasn't too bad, however the M10 ARP was a bit further off when using torque rather than stretch. From memory the ARP recommended torque for the M11 is 70 ft/lbs and he got them bang in the middle of spec with 68 so in my book that's close enough to ARP's recommendations. The M10 was a different story though.

post #72
http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showt...lts+oem&page=8

Regards
Old Sat, May-18-2019, 01:53:16 PM   #10
dutchhome

In the garage:

United States

Post #76 shows that even Lang recommends the stretch method. In my case I found wildly different torque values required to achieve the amount of stretch required. The first several bolts had me second guessing my method so I removed, remeasured, and retorqued. It may be that Lang simply stopped after testing one bolt that showed the torque matched what ARP suggested.

If I were to do it over again I would use plastigauge on every bearing and triple check everything.
Jump to top dutchhome is online now   Reply With Quote