BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Thu, May-16-2019, 04:27:29 PM   #1
Mpowerzz

In the garage:

United States

Default supersprint resonated section 2 vs stock section 2

For those who had a supersprint resonated section 2. Why did you go back to stock section 2?
Jump to top Mpowerzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Thu, May-16-2019, 04:45:10 PM   #2
TboneM3
YNWA

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: supersprint resonated section 2 vs stock section 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpowerzz View Post
For those who had a supersprint resonated section 2. Why did you go back to stock section 2?
Because it guts the midrange and is a bit drone-y.

Evolve-R Alpha N Evolve CSL CF Airbox Eventuri Scoop Supersprint V1 stepped 2.5" SS V1 S pipes 2.5" + 200 cell HFC OE sect 2 SCZA 2.5" sect 3 Besian RE pullies fan/SAP/washer delete CSL battery

Bilstein HD B6/Eibach 325/600lb + GC "tall" RSMs Hotchkis front sway (med) rear strut bar TMS camber & subframe plates Eibach alu rear camber arms RE trans mounts AKG poly subf/diff 95a SDW RTAB weighted ///M knob + ZHP alcantara boot + UUC DSSR + delrin bushing Mason clutch pedal + brass bushing TMS black pedals delrin brake pedal bushing

OE CSL trunk Sportline 8S 18"x8.5/9.5" MPSS 245/275 APEX 75mm Studs Brembo 996 4 pot 36/40 345mm CSL & 28/30 328mm CSL ZHP "712" rack Pioneer/CDT/Eclipse/Kicker
Jump to top TboneM3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, May-16-2019, 05:40:57 PM   #3
kmfurdm
Oceania

In the garage:

England

For me it was mostly to cut back on the drone. Not that it was horrible. Just more than I wanted to deal with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TboneM3 View Post
Because it guts the midrange and is a bit drone-y.
Old Thu, May-16-2019, 06:34:22 PM   #4
Mpowerzz

In the garage:

United States

ok, I got a eisenmann sport muffler and it drones. So I won't be adding the supersprint section 2, I don't want more drone.
Old Thu, May-16-2019, 07:23:38 PM   #5
Mr.wReckless

Norway

From my endless youtube exhaust searches it seems the x-pipe version of the section 2 is the one to have to get a bit more of an exotic sound out of the S54? Resonated in my case as I don't see the charm in just a LOUD exhaust and firmly believe that the measure of a quality sounding exhaust is much more than it's loudness.

Regards
Jump to top Mr.wReckless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, May-16-2019, 07:30:37 PM   #6
Mpowerzz

In the garage:

United States

Resonated x pipe is the one I have, Don't know if I should install it, I also have a cpi catted and resonated section 1, that I will install. That might help with the drone, When I had it on the car before, it killed all rasp.
Old Thu, May-16-2019, 07:56:57 PM   #7
kmfurdm
Oceania

In the garage:

England

That was another reason I switched back to the stock section 2. I wanted some of the rasp back.
Old Thu, May-16-2019, 08:28:31 PM   #8
Dr M3an M3
GroupBuyingPower@outlook. com

In the garage:

United States

Depends on which Supersprint Section 2.

Originally I had the Supersprint Resonated X-pipe. I like it a lot. That being said, while it cut down on the rasp (not a total elimination in my case) it DID increase in-cabin drone. For larger power builds, the 3" single pipe also becomes restrictive. I swapped bothy my Supersprint Resonated X-pipe and RE Muffler to the new Oversized Resonated Supersprint Twin-Pipe section 2 with an oversized Supersprint Street muffler. With that change, Rasp is totally gone from being audible in the driver seat, and there is no in-cabin drone to speak of. With the new muffler and section 2 combo, the volume is more like the loudness with the stock muffler. I also noticed a healthy bump in power switching from the first setup to the second.

My two cents -- If you are looking at section 2 options, I recommend the newer Supersprint Resonated Twin-Piped Oversized section 2 over the X-pipe or any other section 2. I'm not aware of anyone being unhappy with the outcome after this upgrade.

Mods: Genuine OE CSL Bumper, Both Karbonius and Streamline CSL Airboxes, OE CSL Snorkel w/ working Flap, OE Map Sensor + OE Air Rail, Paul Claude Custom Tune, CSL Engine management with CSL converted DME, Supersprint V1 Stepped Headers w/ Oversized Catless section 1, SS 2.5" Twin-Piped Oversized Custom section 2, Custom Oversized Supersprint muffler, WPC treated rod-bearings, VinceBar (weld) + Redish Plates, Full Beisan VANOS lockdown, BBS LMs w/ PSS, Brembo GT6 (front) + GT4 (rear) BBK, CSL style CF diffuser, Vorsteiner CF CSL Bootlid, CSL SMG Engine DME tune, CSL '255' SMG DME tune, SMG Pump Relocated.
Active Group-Buys (PM if Interested):
Camshaft Group-Buy, OE CSL Bootlids, Supersprint Headers/Exhaust thread, New Supersprint Oversized Twin-Piped Section 2
Jump to top Dr M3an M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, May-16-2019, 11:13:16 PM   #9
usdmej

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.wReckless View Post
From my endless youtube exhaust searches it seems the x-pipe version of the section 2 is the one to have to get a bit more of an exotic sound out of the S54? Resonated in my case as I don't see the charm in just a LOUD exhaust and firmly believe that the measure of a quality sounding exhaust is much more than it's loudness.

Regards
section 2 only controls overall volume and to a lesser degree rasp
Old Fri, May-17-2019, 01:43:50 AM   #10
STAATS

In the garage:

Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by TboneM3 View Post
Because it guts the midrange
Is this actually true vs stock Sect 2?

I thought it had documented gains which were only trumped by the BW 3.5" setup and now by the new dual SS 2.5" Sect 2 setup?

BMW E46 M3 Vehicle Log Book & Service Tracker Tool: http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=564731

BMW E46 M3 Vehicle Data Record & Modification Journal Template: http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=566440

2003 BMW E46 M3 Street / Road Rally Build: http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=566468
Jump to top STAATS is offline   Reply With Quote